Fenders for my CrossxCheck commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fenders for my CrossxCheck commuter

Can any one help me out here? I checked mtbr and roadbike review and I could not find a product review section for fenders. I'd like to get a pair on my CrossxCheck. Any suggestions?

Not because I'm fast.....

This link might help you find something cool

First of all, very nice Cross Check. I am thinking about picking one up this spring to replace my cuurent CX frame since SURLY is finally putting one out in a 62cm frame size.

I know nothing about fenders, but I think you can find something cool at this link. Lots to chose from.

http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...iption=fenders

Good luck!

34N 118W

these are pretty cool

if plastic don't bother ya.

http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sid6.7
    Can any one help me out here? I checked mtbr and roadbike review and I could not find a product review section for fenders. I'd like to get a pair on my CrossxCheck. Any suggestions?

True American Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    if plastic don't bother ya.

http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html
    I've had the Planetbike Freddy fenders on my CrossCheck for about 6 months. No regrets. Get the wider 45mm fenders, not the 35mm ones.
    "Cars - R - Coffins"

mtbr member

Here's a dumb question

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Mike
    I've had the Planetbike Freddy fenders on my CrossCheck for about 6 months. No regrets. Get the wider 45mm fenders, not the 35mm ones.

Why the 45mm and not the 35mm? What do these sizes relate too?

FUD

Jan 2004

planet bike

Ive been looking for some fenders for my CC myself. I think freddy "hardcore" fenders are the best option. The hardcore have an extra support arm, the supports are stainless steel and the fenders have mud flaps. The 35/45 size is the width tire it will accomodate. get 45s if you run fatties.
    Last edited by FUD; 02-29-2004 at 10:52 AM. Reason: incoherence..

viva la v-brakes!

mmmmm fenders

Man I love fenders, every bike should be sold with fenders. Fenders rule.

A lot of plastic fenders (Mt. Zephal and various snap on fenders) suffer from getting brittle and snapping in the cold. SKS (aka ESGE) has solved this problem by having a thin Al insert sandwiched in between two layers of plastic. They also have rust resistant stainless steel hardware. These are my fenders of choice, but they're like $40 a pair. They're very strong but not indestructible. I caught a large stick in my wheel while touring in the UK last June and it tore them up pretty good. Nothing a few cable ties and duct tape couldn't fix though

The Planet Bike Hardcore fenders ($30) have gone on a couple bikes around here recently because they were cheeper then the SKS's. So far so good. I am not sure if they have the Al layer between the plastic layers, but they haven't suffered any cold weather cracking thus far this winter. The hardware is not stainless, but a little grease should help keep it all from ceasing up. On the other hand, the nylon locking nuts are a nice touch, and it's easier to get replacement parts if things rattle off. They also have a little mud flap on the bottom. I personally don't like this flap because it is pretty short and interferes with the installation of real fender extensions (extra flaps of anything from detergent containers to cordura nylon and reflective fabric or even just duct tape hanging down to about an inch above the ground for ultimate protection from tire spray).

If you're looking for something retro cool, Wald are all steel fenders with a chrome finish. They are heavy, but cheep ($10-$15) and super durable. Mounting them is a bit more difficult because they mount at the axle. Also make it more of a pain to take wheels off, but hey, makes it hard for the thieves to take the wheels off too.

The 35 mm and 45 mm refer to the width of the fenders. Wider fenders block more stuff, but sometimes don't fit as well in some frames.

Good luck.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

They look stupid...

...red kneewarmers? Anyways, the SKS work well for me. I picked mine up from REI.

https://gallery.consumerreview.com/w...rlyseagull.jpg

try driving your car less

planet bike

I just this week mounted some Planet Bike fenders, the ones with the sweet little mudflap. They are much better than the Zefal in terms of eas of installation. They were very easy to install, while the zefals required some creativity and where really of lesser quality in terms of the hardware. I have been very happy with the planet bike 'hardcore' fenders, but this is for on-road usage.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    I went down to the LBS and ordered myself up a set of the Planet Bike Freddy fenders. Thanks for all the input!