Favorite SS Specific Winter Exercises- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Favorite SS Specific Winter Exercises

OK all, ride time is really down right now. How about your favorite exercise(s) to protect the knees and back from the pressure of riding and climbing on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I hit the weight bench. I have always rode bikes, but these days I'm a little more serious and I use lighter weights with more reps. Heavy bag and jump rope for cardio. Looking at picking up a street trials bike to take to the local indoor skate park to work on handling skills this winter.

western NC
    +1 on weights, as much as I hate it. Lunges, dead lifts and squats along with pushups and chin ups for core strength. Also hiking and running stairs (two at a time for a harder workout) are a great leg workout.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I actually mainly do body weight stuff and some dumbbell stuff worked in for the shoulders. Like pushups, pull ups, sit ups, squats, "inner theigh strengtheners' where you basically lay on your side and lift your legs one at a time in the air and hold it up then lower, and planks. I like to warm up with burpees, and during the exercises focus a lot on good form. Also hiking, and/or trail running.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I like the idea of running/hiking stairs. I've only got 13 at my house--plus its interrupted by a split foyer, but maybe doing a weighted version and hitting two steps at a time would be a good new exercise. I am going to try some running again. Just feel like the lung power comes back faster in the spring with a couple of days a week of running. I'm 51 now, and it just doesn't seem to agree with me like it used to.
    I also like "step-downs." Stand on one step, and step backward and out. Seems to hit the glutes really well, and I have trouble with that from sitting at my desk.
    Great exercises on here. Shoulder needs surgery, so a lot of my favorite exercises (pull-ups, chin-ups, etc) I can't really do.

mtbr member
    Ask your doc if swimming is ok on your shoulder. You can work in some more intense, shorter, interval type pool workouts to maintain your cardiovascular fitness without so much joint pounding and build shoulder strength to aid in recovery.

Bodyweight exercises are great, too. Up the intensity of the leg stuff by doing single leg squats and plyometrics. Tabata style workouts are a great way to increase the intensity of bodyweight exercises, and even running or other movement based exercises like swimming or biking.

Also, I advise becoming a real student of your training. The more you understand the systems involved in your workouts and how your body will react to differing movements and intensities will help you better tailor your off season training.

psycho cyclo addict
    I ride in the snow, cold, etc. (geared bikes as well as SS). Basic core exercises and pedaling (geared) on rollers are my approach when there is a protracted stretch of crappy weather.

As someone with chronic back flare ups ~6x per year and right ACL replacement (10+ years ago), never had major issues due to SS riding other than my back occasionally sore for a few days from a lot of jostling around on rough trails with a rigid fork.

I avoid squats and sit ups. The worst for me is any sort of twisting with weight in my hands (gotta be real careful with luggage and loading/unloading bikes from hitch rack too) or I'll be in pain with my torso listing at ~10 degrees to the left side for a few days.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    May 2014
    For me squats, lunges, chin-ups, push ups, various ab exercises and jump rope. One work out I enjoy(not) is 10 reps each of 4 different exercises and jump rope for a minute and a half in between sets. Example: 10 chin-ups, jump rope, 10 squats, jump rope, 10 push ups, jump rope, 10 sit ups, jump rope, rest for 3 minutes and repeat. A good thing about this is you can vary your exercises and also the order. I typically stick to the same four exercises in a workout but the next time I do the workout a few days later I pick 4 different ones.
    Once you build up stamina, increase your times through each circuit...for example do 3 "sets" of 2 times through the above list. You end up with 60 reps of each exercise and 18 minutes of jump rope. You can bring up your lunch if you go at this with the right intensity.
    Another great one...buy a 50 lb. bag of sand at Home Depot...pretty cheap like 4 bucks? Find something around waist high...table or tailgate of your truck. Put sandbag on the ground by the table and start picking it up and setting it on the table and pick it up and back to the ground and keep going for 50 reps. Time yourself. Catch your breath and do it again trying to beat the time you just set. Do this 4 or 5 times. This also has been known to relieve you of your lunch. But this is great for everything...core strength, arm and shoulder strength, leg strength, and increasing anaerobic capacity.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That sand bag lifting exercise is a great one! Plus it's more compact than a barbell-dumbell! I'll give that a try!

mtbr member
    When lifting that bag off the ground or putting back on the ground, make sure you bend your knees and use your legs! Don't bend at the waist, you'll kill your back.
    RideMFRide

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For sure!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Exactly. That is the point. You want to "squat" to get the bag and "squat" to put it back on the ground. A buddy of mine told me about this exercise about 4 years ago and at first I thought "Oh it can't be that bad". Well I threw up the first time I did it.
    You can also add a "twist" to the routine. Stand sideways to the table and when you pick up the bag you turn a bit to set it down. Really engages your core. The next set switch sides.

I am sold on this exercise and I just throw it in every know and again when I want to kick myself in the teeth. You can use the bag for so much other stuff. Another one I like to do is hold it straight overhead and walk as fast as I can...my backyard has a slight incline so it adds to the work. Recently I have been using it to do step ups...holding straight overhead or rotating to each shoulder.
    A tip on the bag...get a roll of duct tape and tape up the sand bag. It will last a lot longer. The first one I bought lasted about 4 or 5 months before it was spilling sand everywhere. The next one I taped up and am still using it.

mtbr member
    My first exersice would be riding to Southern California.

mtbr member
    rollers. bike on a magnetic trainer. spin classes.

in that order from form, power, to aesthetic.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    New Year's Resolution: get a sandbag and keep it in my office (home office, that is...) and pick it up and carry it with me every time I move about. Sounds like a good sneaky way to keep some good moving going in the remaining winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Favorite SS Specific Winter Exercises

My routine is just to ride. I did do sandbag workouts during our last big storm to protect my house.

mtbr member
    I remember back in the day when cross-training for singlespeeding involved heavy beers and being some type of a ski bum

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Pretty much year round when trails are wet and/or once or twice a week I enjoy rollerblading on paved greenways because it is loads of fun. I also think it is really good cross training for cycling and especially single speed.

With speed skates the skating motion is a really good leg and back workout. If we had "real" winter here in NC I would try ice skating and cross country skis but alas we are cursed with a mild winter where the trails get muddy but not enough weather for any "winter sports".

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    I did the sand bag thing, but didn't like that the bag were pretty "rigid", so I bought one of these Asivik Drybag HW 40L (sorry it's in Danish). It's a heavy duty duffel bag made from some really tough nylon. Price is roughly $30.
    I then poured roughly 50 pounds of sand into a couple of layers of big garbage bags, secured them with duct tape and put it all in the duffel bag. I made sure the sand had plenty of room to move around, so now I have a really tough nylon duffel that's heavy, but at the same time soft and saggy, making it much harder to balance over my head and stuff like that. I've removed the strap, so I really have to dig into the nylon to move it.

I tried using an old army duffel made of canvas, also great for grabbing, but it got nasty when I sweated all over it from the exercise, the new drybag is much better, it repels liquid and can be wiped off with a wet cloth if needed.

I do lifts and squads, balancing the bag over my head, moving it from one shoulder to the other and back, works exceptionally well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ride cyclo cross bike with slicks on a trainer. Biggest ring and smallest cog. Turn the heat on high. Listen to punk rock and have a cold PBR right after.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Live in GA so I tend to just ride.

mtbr member
    Ride. I live in Phoenix. Although this morning it was 25 on my thermometer.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Gotta pay to play
    ab wheel roll outs, L-sit pull ups, single leg squats, and one arm push ups.