Fathers Day rides/goodies?? Anyone- Mtbr.com
    Cracker-magnon

Fathers Day rides/goodies?? Anyone

got a good ride in, for about 25 miles, about half was pavement, but what the hell, it beat driving to the trail. It was hot and sunny, and my legs did not want to cooperate on the extended climb, but that's what the 24" gear is for A long steep downhill with a lot of hikers around left my front Avid disk smoking at one point. No pics of the ride, but I noticed that I forgot to put sunscreen on my legs.... needless to say pasty white + knickers makes for an interesting look. Any other dads, get/do anything cool??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member

Cool Fathers' Day...

Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Any other dads, get/do anything cool??

I went to the Little Miami Rail-Trail with my 7 year old son & rode 50 miles. He rode his new road bike, I road my fixie. Super way to spend Fathers' Day!

The pic below is from a couple weeks ago...
    You gonna ride that?

thats Mr.Dirtbag to you

yep

Got a gift certificate to the LBS and a 2 hour ride in on the local trail. Sweetness!
    "You know, the novelty kind of wears off after the first few times..."

avg. joe

Oh yeah

Besides being able to get 1.5 hours of extra sleep, my family took me out for a nice BBQ lunch. Later, I was able to wear a jersey my wife bought for me 2 months ago and then proceeded to call it off limits until Father's Day ... the Campbell's Soup Full of Beans jersey. Each of my kiddos (2 of 'em) gave me a light weight (and wicking) riding t-shirt since I normally ride with a Camelbak. My wife also found some chocolate bars in the shape of a MTB w/ rider ... pretty cool ... will have to ask where she found these.

Perfect day!
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
    Father's day is a great holiday. A full day to do whatever dad feels like doing. No obligations to see anyone, do anything, just a day to indulge. I decided to do a nice long road ride from the house up to Mt Pisgah. It was a cool humid morning and the first 15 miles flew by. When I got to the base of the real climbing at the French Broad, I was feeling good, thinking about how much I love being a dad and husband, dug my job and our life.

Then the road pitched up and I spent the next hour grunting from the steamy riverbottoms into the cool rhodo and spruce forests at 5000 feet. The road riding around here is truly great. Lots of backroads, great views, loop options etc... I'm definitely a mountain biker dirtbag at heart, but I do enjoy the ability to go far, fast on the skinny tires.

I only saw a few other riders on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the "linear National Park" that runs from VA to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. My house is about a mile from the parkway, which heads up into the high mountains in both directions. One way takes me up to Mount Mitchell, the tallest peak east of the Rockies, and the other up to the slopes of Cold Mountain with views of huge granite domes.

The only downsides of the parkway are the clueless tourists and the frickin harley riders. The tourists that get my goat the most are the ones driving their massive SUV's that are so big, they don't leave any room for a poor sap on a bike. They blast by me and then cut back in front of me. Then I see em pulled over at the next overlook, taking in the view from the windshield of their idling gas hog. Just as I pedal by, they pull back out just in time to pass me again. Repeat.

Then there are the Harley riders. When I'm out in a National Park, I'm there to enjoy some quite, some peace, some natural sounds. Not some fatass who thinks he's tough cause he can crank his throttle as he blows by a guy in lycra. Those things are so damn loud. There oughtta be a law...

By God I love this country

And being a dad
    Dirtbag since '89

grasso e lento

Yup

The kids let the wife and out for the day... 45 miles plus I got a new wheelset... Life is good.. Oh and lunch and a movie....

-Dude
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig
    Father's day is a great holiday. A full day to do whatever dad feels like doing. No obligations to see anyone, do anything, just a day to indulge. I decided to do a nice long road ride from the house up to Mt Pisgah. It was a cool humid morning and the first 15 miles flew by. When I got to the base of the real climbing at the French Broad, I was feeling good, thinking about how much I love being a dad and husband, dug my job and our life.

The only downsides of the parkway are the clueless tourists and the frickin harley riders. The tourists that get my goat the most are the ones driving their massive SUV's that are so big, they don't leave any room for a poor sap on a bike. They blast by me and then cut back in front of me. Then I see em pulled over at the next overlook, taking in the view from the windshield of their idling gas hog. Just as I pedal by, they pull back out just in time to pass me again. Repeat.

Then there are the Harley riders. When I'm out in a National Park, I'm there to enjoy some quite, some peace, some natural sounds. Not some fatass who thinks he's tough cause he can crank his throttle as he blows by a guy in lycra. Those things are so damn loud. There oughtta be a law...

By God I love this country

And being a dad
    So glad to know you had a great day- I know you are a fantastic husband and dad, 'cause you are a great friend. Wish I could have joined you- I took my dad, mom and sis to DuPont and checked out Hooker Falls and Tripple Falls. Couldn't help but think what it would be like to have been on the SS...
    At least we can be cool if we every get fat and ugly... just buy a loud Harley and a black vest and make a sh!t-ton of noise all over the place. lol.
    Well, every day is father's day, so let me know when you want to cruise out for a skinny tire mileage ride...

Happy Days to all dads out there!
    OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

Fahrrad fahren

Oh yeah!

Not exactly a Father's Day gift, but it arrived on Friday, and had its first ride on Father's Day.

31 multi-surface miles, followed by grilled steaks and beer in the company of my wonderful wife and kids.

First ride report is here. Lots of Pics.

Cheers,
    H
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

mtbr member
    I spent a pretty damn cool weekend with my pops. After I twisted his arm enough he gave in and he spent the weekend racing Big Bear with me. It was his first race ever, let alone his first 24 hour event. He wound up having a blast and did pretty damn well in the process, ecspecially considering he doesn't even have a full season of riding under his belt yet. All in all I can't imagine a cooler way to have spent fathers day weekend with my Dad.

of course my wife insists I only roped him into it so I wouldn't feel guilty racing and not seeing him on fathers day...

Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    got a good ride in, for about 25 miles, about half was pavement, but what the hell, it beat driving to the trail. It was hot and sunny, and my legs did not want to cooperate on the extended climb, but that's what the 24" gear is for A long steep downhill with a lot of hikers around left my front Avid disk smoking at one point. No pics of the ride, but I noticed that I forgot to put sunscreen on my legs.... needless to say pasty white + knickers makes for an interesting look. Any other dads, get/do anything cool??

Peace & Love
    Brent at Phil Wood sent me a sweet gift.....a business card holder that matches my new wheelset that had its first ride over Father's Day weekend. So even when I am doin the grind of pushing paper all day, I will have my hubs right there with me on the desk!

Thanks Brent!!!!

Not because I'm fast.....
    I really really really like your Quickbeam! That thing is sweet. Great ride report too.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Went out and did a ride with my 6 year old son on the local trails. We barely got two miles when we came across a stream with tadpoles and baby frogs. We played at the streams edge for an hour checking out the little critters and talking about where baby frogs come from.

When we headed back he decided he wanted to jog for a while. He made it about a mile and finally called it quits, jumped on the trail-a-bike and cruised out.

Later that afternoon I fired up the Harley and went for a nice cruise along the coast. Of course I eased off the throttle when I passed the roadie geeks out there just so they wouldn't get their collective chamoise in a bunch. I'm all about everything on two wheels. Too bad not everyone gets it...
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I got an extra hour to ride

So i got to ride three hours of sweet singletrack instead of my usual 1.5-2 hours. After crashing and dabbing the first half of the ride, I got much much smoother and the rest of the ride reminded me why I love to ride.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Juan,

Gorgeous bike and great writeup! Now I regret selling my nice and (relatively) light Crosscheck. Oh well, the Monkey will be overkill as it serves road duty, but whatchugonnado?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A happy Father's Day indeed.

A 14 miler for the little man on his first ride out of the neighborhood. The Virginia Creeper Trail in Damascus.
    The little man is running a 2 to 1 ratio. I left the SS at home so that I would'nt be spinning like crazy.
    Last edited by ncbiker; 06-21-2005 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Edited to include SS content.

mtbr member

How old is that little guy?

NCBiker:

How old is your son? I'm wonder how early they can start on the tow-behind bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by ncbiker
    A 14 miler for the little man on his first ride out of the neighborhood. The Virginia Creeper Trail in Damascus.
    The little man is running a 2 to 1 ratio. I left the SS at home so that I would'nt be spinning like crazy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pswann
    NCBiker:

How old is your son? I'm wonder how early they can start on the tow-behind bikes.

He will be 4 in August. His legs were barely long enough to reach the pedals for a full rotation. If the trail had been technical, it would have been a challenge for him to safely stay on the bike as he would not have been able to use his legs for leverage.

I think that I could ride all of my local trails with one of those behind me. I will be keeping my eye open for one. You can tell from the smile that he was having a blast.