Mar 2010
    Me!!!

mtbr member
    Me too!

western NC
    Me 3

blet drive
    Photos or it didn't happen
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Need more?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I like it! What kind of gear ratios are you guys running? I assume something a little easier than with skinny tires!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The front and rear wheels are interchangeable. a fixed gear rear wheel is a low gear, but the front is even lower for the snow also fixed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'd love to, but I'd be stuck to the rail trails around here. Not such a bad punishment, but I'm still trying to convince myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mine is dingle. 32x20 and 34x18. This winter will probably drop to 32x18 and 28x20 or thereabouts

mtbr member
    Me torturing myself at Single Speed Kansas City this year. Been riding my Fatboy SS pretty much since I got it. Currently running 34/19.

Fat SS-11822743_717818681680807_6640206323429461987_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Been running 33x20 (with 180mm cranks. 26x3.8 Knards) for a year - no problems except in snow (where geared or super low is the ticket).

I'm pretty sure that Fat SS is the most fun you can have on a mountain bike.
    My other bike is a /7.

WNC Native
    I'm debating it again myself. Keep moving away from Fat SS to only want to go back to Fat SS!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I know how you feel. We do a 100K ride in the summer, so, I like to have more then 1 gear. The sand is deep, and soft. Other then that, I'm all single.

mtbr member
    Dinglespeed here, 30x18 and 26x22 with 4.8 Knards for the same sand onecog...^ rides in. Rarely use the low gear now that I gained some strength but it still comes in handy occasionally.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Fat SS-img_4819.jpgFat SS-100_0165.jpgFat SS-img_4341.jpgThere is more then enough sand to go around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onecogshortofacluster View Post
    There is more then enough sand to go around.
    Where is that? Reminds me of False Cape state park in VA.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    It's the NJ Pine Barrens. Fat bikes work very well here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just ordered Pug SS from LBS last night. Had a 616 SS late season last year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    A little off topic, but is a SS frame best to fit a IGH to a Fatty?
    TIA

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I would think so! My recommendation would be a Surly (I think most have horizontal dropouts) or aa Salsa Mukluk with alternator dropouts!

western NC
    Tackled the WCU trails today on mine. First time riding that trail system on a SS, and set a few PR's. Guess I'm faster on my cheap ass SS fattie than my new shiny full squishy wonder bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Maybe not a full fatty but WTB Asym 135's with Bonty Chupa's
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    I'd rather be in Cullowhee!

Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Tackled the WCU trails today on mine. First time riding that trail system on a SS, and set a few PR's. Guess I'm faster on my cheap ass SS fattie than my new shiny full squishy wonder bike.

western NC
    ^^Yessir, not a bad place to spend some time at all.

mtbr member
    I sold my FB with 5 bikes one had to go, I mounted these up tubeless and low psi I'm close to a 29+ but not quite.

Excited to see how this works
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat SS-image.jpeg  

is buachail foighneach me
    I now have 2 fat singlespeeds. A Fatback Corvus with 32 x 19 for going fast on snow and sand and a Meriwether short stay/high bb/71 ht 28 x 19 for techy, trialsy and twisty trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've just downgraded my 29er to gears and got myself a singlespeed Pugsley for my ss off-road fun.

MaxTheCyclist.com

29+ front, really big 2.4 in the back, wide 30mm rims. Two speeds, using a Paul Melvin and a front derailleur. 36/22 x 19.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    I now have 2 fat singlespeeds. A Fatback Corvus with 32 x 19 for going fast on snow and sand...
    I have the same exact setup and I wouldn't say it goes fast...

Guess I need to push harder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Spoke too soon. Did a quick nine mile ride last night from Kincaid to mi casa. It was cold but fast and fun despite the too low tire pressure up front. Looks like I'll shave a substantial amount of time off my Frosty Bottom time this January! This is due to two things: getting stronger this year and having a dialed in bike. Last year I rode a clunker that I bought used a week prior and that should have been setup better.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Levoui View Post
    Spoke too soon. Did a quick nine mile ride last night from Kincaid to mi casa. It was cold but fast and fun despite the too low tire pressure up front. Looks like I'll shave a substantial amount of time off my Frosty Bottom time this January! This is due to two things: getting stronger this year and having a dialed in bike. Last year I rode a clunker that I bought used a week prior and that should have been setup better.
    Nice! I went from a 2009 Fatback Aluminum with Uma II rims, tubes and Phil/Sugino crankset to the Corvus with carbon rims, tubeless and Next crankset. Dropped about 5 lbs off the bike and it felt like a rocketship in comparison. Ended up being able to lose a couple of teeth off the cog with out feeling like I was working too hard.

move on up...
    32/17

mtbr member
    Me!

Funnest bike I've ever owned.

Sent from my Samsung Tablet

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by floorguy724 View Post
    Me!

That's a Sharp SS ride floorguy724!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Been single and Fat for over 3 years. Love it.
    Fat SS-img_6465.jpgFat SS-mill-photo.jpgName:  asset (1).jpg
Views: 599
Size:  56.0 KB

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by floorguy724 View Post
    Me!

Damn! I really dig that setup for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pulled the trigger on a SS Pugs at the shop last night. Rode my Pugs SS last year all year, but converted it back to geared for this Winter with an Alfine 8.

Crazy sale just happened so I had to get another. I'll post pics as soon as I put it together.

One can never have too many. You gotta treat yourself for Christmas, right?!

WNC Native
    Heard about the Surly Fat sale, nice deals right now!

I pulled the trigger yesterday on another SS fatty. Will post pics soon.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Heard about the Surly Fat sale, nice deals right now!

I pulled the trigger yesterday on another SS fatty. Will post pics soon.
    Came here to mention this! I am not a rich man... Still in school, living on a meager budget.... and Surly reaches out a merciful hand and touches me.

"Come... Come... Fatties Fit Fine..."

So I bought a Pug SS, which I think I will love since I am infatuated with my new SS conversion Soma Juice. What a great price for the build. I went from having never ridden a singlespeed in my life, to owning two of them in a month. Let's ride!

One Colorful Rider
    Fat and Single
    SSUSA by Norm, on Flickr

thebeach by Norm, on Flickr

IMG_20150907_143412.jpg by Norm, on Flickr

11 29 05 by Norm, on Flickr

11 22 07 by Norm, on Flickr

IMG_20151211_144449206 by Norm, on Flickr

WNC Native
    Officially back fat SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone ride SS fat in a mountainous area? Just got a Wednesday (first ever fatbike) and before that I was riding my Karate Monkey SS almost exclusively for 5 years at 32x21 for southern california climbs. I've only had a few rides on the Wednesday but I'm already hating gears but I have no idea what kind of gearing to even start with. I was thinking maybe a 31x24 if I can find a 24t year somewhere.

WNC Native
    I'm in western NC and do quite a bit of climbing. I do ride some trail systems where it's gently rolling, so I'm trying to find a happy balance. I've ran 30x20, 32x21, and now 32x22. Think I'm going to be staying 32x22.

Not the fake Jay Leno

Cool-blue Rhythm New Pugs SS

Picked up a Pugs SS last weekend. I can't believe how much fun this thing is. It is pretty much bone stock with Azonic flat pedals. I'd like to rig it up for both commuting and trails. The bike came with the Surly OD crank and 33T front ring and 19T on the back, which is perfect for flowy stuff. I'm thinking about a dingle setup. Anybody else do this to a stock Pugs SS, and how did you do it? I have 22T, 17T, and 19T for the back. I need something that fits the front 58 mm BCD on the OD crank. Do the MWOD 58 mm BCD rings fit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat SS-image.jpg  

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Picked up a Pugs SS last weekend. I can't believe how much fun this thing is. It is pretty much bone stock with Azonic flat pedals. I'd like to rig it up for both commuting and trails. The bike came with the Surly OD crank and 33T front ring and 19T on the back, which is perfect for flowy stuff. I'm thinking about a dingle setup. Anybody else do this to a stock Pugs SS, and how did you do it? I have 22T, 17T, and 19T for the back. I need something that fits the front 58 mm BCD on the OD crank. Do the MWOD 58 mm BCD rings fit?
    I went dinglespeed with a 30T front ring and a 22T front ring, an 18T cog in the back, and a Paul Components Melvin. I could pick the chain up with my hands and switch rings when stopped, it took about three seconds. A good solution, for what it was, and I liked the ratios a bit better than the stock 33/19 for snow.

I have the stock 33T on now with a 10-speed cassette. As Surly bikes go, the Pug SS was prime for a quick derailleur conversion. I think I spent $80 to do it. I love SS and my mountain bike may never see gears, but for a crawler like the pugs, i'm happy every time I downshift.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've got a Moonlander in the garage that appears to be a geared bike but I think it self identifies as an SS. We are just waiting on some parts and we'll see.

Can't wait to be riding SS again. The Moony just crushes the climbs and is a whacky good time on the descents. Never had a fatback and if this is possible I feel like I have an old school one. Just all brown, no tapered ht, or thru-axles, or any nonsense.

I found I can run the same gear 32X18 that I ran on my 29er but now I can ride anywhere. I've got endless sand out the door.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    Anyone ride SS fat in a mountainous area? Just got a Wednesday (first ever fatbike) and before that I was riding my Karate Monkey SS almost exclusively for 5 years at 32x21 for southern california climbs. I've only had a few rides on the Wednesday but I'm already hating gears but I have no idea what kind of gearing to even start with. I was thinking maybe a 31x24 if I can find a 24t year somewhere.
    I was ready to go SS with the new Farley.
    However I can't see a SS gear that is both appropriate for flats, gradual downhill, and the near 45 degree (closer to maybe 41-42 degree) climbs that I'm faced with in a few areas. I'm talking STEEP. So I decided to just keep the gears. I just don't have that kind of torque.

If I stick to certain trails with less severe hills, SS is completely doable for me at 28/21. In fact I rode it for a week without shifting out of this gear as a test. I quickly woke up though after tackling some serious steep hills. There's just too much gnarly, steep stuff around here though to make it practical for me. We'll see when I get the 29+ wheels built up this Summer. Maybe I'll ride it SS and just stay off the steepest stuff.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    I was ready to go SS with the new Farley.
    However I can't see a SS gear that is both appropriate for flats, gradual downhill, and the near 45 degree (closer to maybe 41-42 degree) climbs that I'm faced with in a few areas. I'm talking STEEP. So I decided to just keep the gears. I just don't have that kind of torque.

If I stick to certain trails with less severe hills, SS is completely doable for me at 28/21. In fact I rode it for a week without shifting out of this gear as a test. I quickly woke up though after tackling some serious steep hills. There's just too much gnarly, steep stuff around here though to make it practical for me. We'll see when I get the 29+ wheels built up this Summer. Maybe I'll ride it SS and just stay off the steepest stuff.
    That's the thing about SS- it's always the wrong gear! Just go slightly tall and hammer harder!
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    That's the thing about SS- it's always the wrong gear! Just go slightly tall and hammer harder!
    That works for me until things get silly steep and REALLY wrong! Physics takes over. I could hike it but I'd rather ride up the 42 degree stretch. I think some areas/trail systems lend themselves better to SS than others.

Training SS still changed the way I ride, even with gears. I would not have discovered that were it not for this forum.

Members who have read this thread: 0