Factory SS Bikes- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    Single Speed Nation
    Reputation: great_big_abyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    133

    Factory SS Bikes

    So, I already have a singlespeed rigid bike that i cobbled together out of an old Specialized Hardrock frame. But it's heavy, the geometry is all wrong, and it's just not very good.

    I'd like to buy a dedicated, purposebuilt SS bike, preferably with 29" wheels.

    Now, my LBS has one GT Peace left, but its last year's model and it's only got 26" wheels. what's more, the chainstays and seatstays are 26" only.

    I asked the owner if I could order a 2010 GT Peace 29'r, and he told me they were all sold out.

    What I'd like to know is if any other bike manufacturer makes a rigid SS with 29" ready frame. Even if I only buy the frame and build it myself, I could accept that!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    108
    My good friend has the Nashbar 29'r SS. I think its going for $399. He is very happy with the bike, its light and basic. That is the bike that got me started on my SS project, now that I found out I need to swap out crankset etc Im starting to scratch my head and wonder why i just didnt buy one myself???????

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ianick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,183
    There are too many to list now. Do you have a budget in mind? That will help narrow the suggestions.

    Karate Monkey
    Reline Monocog Flight
    Reline Monocog

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gjenkins@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,598
    I must be misunderstanding a key detail, but I am going to throw Vassgo in. A Jabberwocky with the matching Odis fork:

    http://www.vassagocycles.com/jabberwocky.html

    I flippin love this Steel Rigid SS

  5. #5
    Single Speed Nation
    Reputation: great_big_abyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    133
    Yeah, 400-600 dollars. I'm 6'-1", 190 lbs, and I want cro-mo.

  6. #6
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    4-600 total? Or just for frame and fork? 4-600 total, look used on craigslist, ebay and here. For just frame and fork, you've got a lot of options.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gjenkins@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by great_big_abyss
    Yeah, 400-600 dollars. I'm 6'-1", 190 lbs, and I want cro-mo.
    A Jabber with fork is in the 400~600 range. I am still confused. It is steel ... is it not cro-mo?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gjenkins@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,598
    Sean, are you still on the Karate Monkey? Are you running it 29'r, 69'r, 96'r or what?

  9. #9
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    Back on the Karate Monkey for the spring/summer in a week or so. 29er. I only ever ran 26" wheels in it for the 3" wide tires. Now that I have a Fatback, there's no need for those shenanigans, and eventually, the KM will be relegated to bar/errand/commuter bike, and I'll have a summer set of 29er wheels for the Fatback.

  10. #10
    Single Speed Nation
    Reputation: great_big_abyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    133
    4-600 total.

  11. #11
    Single Speed Nation
    Reputation: great_big_abyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    133
    I took a look at the Jabberwocky online, and liked what I saw. I like that it comes frame only, meaning I can spec my own parts and build it myself.

    I shot an email off to my LBS asking if they would be able to order it for me, even though they aren't a dealer.

    Even though it may be frame only, and thus more expensive in the long run to part out, I like the customization that it will allow me. Plus, at first I can cannibilize parts from my other bikes (like wheels, etc) to get it on the trails, then buy parts as I need them. For example, 29" wheels.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ricot83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    655
    Dude look at bikesdirect they have full bikes dawesdeadeye 320 shipped, se racing stout 399 shipped I think
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

  13. #13
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    I would recommend against putting 26" wheels with regular tires on there if you can. The BB on the Jabber is pretty low to begin with, 26" wheels will drop it another 1" - 1.5" or so. It'll handle kind of funny. A cheap set of 29er wheels would be worth it to start off with while you save for some nicer ones. Even a set of hybrid wheels will work as long as you keep an eye on the bearings and the axle.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gjenkins@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    I would recommend against putting 26" wheels with regular tires on there if you can. The BB on the Jabber is pretty low to begin with, 26" wheels will drop it another 1" - 1.5" or so. It'll handle kind of funny. A cheap set of 29er wheels would be worth it to start off with while you save for some nicer ones. Even a set of hybrid wheels will work as long as you keep an eye on the bearings and the axle.
    Correct. The BB is pretty low. I don't think the geometry would translate well to 26r. I don't have much experience, but I love the bike. I really like the ride of the wetcat geometry. Maybe in a few months I will have a more even keeled opinion of it, but I bought it on recommendation from friends (with negative advice on a Niner) ... and after one test ride. I find it flowy, fun, stable and confidence inspiring.

    Here is a thread about purchasing to in Canada:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...hlight=vassago

  15. #15
    Single Speed Nation
    Reputation: great_big_abyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by ricot83
    Dude look at bikesdirect they have full bikes dawesdeadeye 320 shipped, se racing stout 399 shipped I think

    Thanks, but I'm a big proponent of supporting my LBS.

    I might end up buying a frame elsewhere (even if I have to drive to grand forks or Fargo ND to do it) but I'll definately part it out at the LBS.

    If I pay more, what ever. It keeps a lot of the guys and girls that I ride with (employed by LBS) working and doing what they love.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ricot83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    655
    Have u looked at soul cycles frame. Chad is a great guy
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

  17. #17
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,214
    Monocog?

  18. #18
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by great_big_abyss
    Thanks, but I'm a big proponent of supporting my LBS.

    I might end up buying a frame elsewhere (even if I have to drive to grand forks or Fargo ND to do it) but I'll definately part it out at the LBS.

    If I pay more, what ever. It keeps a lot of the guys and girls that I ride with (employed by LBS) working and doing what they love.
    I also try to support my LBS, and definitely will never shop at bikesdirect even if I do shop online. But that's another subject for another day.

    Have you looked at On Ones? I want to build one of these Inbreds up for the wife. I believe ~$280 shipped for the frame. Also, shameless plug, but I am building up a Redline Monocog Flight and will be parting with my Redline Monocog frame (08) in Large. Let me know if you'd be interested. Comes with frame, fork, headset, seat post, BB and cranks. All installed, of course.

    But that On-One Inbred looks very nice. I'm looking forward to the build even more than my wife!


  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    15
    I got an 09 raleigh xxix that i love. complete for 750. might have been a hookup price because i hear they go for 900 now. but regardless it has a good combo of components and frame.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jwcart10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    61
    i think that you will be happier in the long run spending the money for a jabber or a karate monkey or something like that in a frameset and building it up. i originally thought i would go a cheaper route looking for a factory ss 26er and would eventually change the components that i didn't like. i decided to buy a surly 1x1 frame and build it up and even though it almost doubled my budget, it was worth it. surly is a great company to work with your lbs if you would be interested in the karate monkey frameset.

  21. #21
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcart10
    i think that you will be happier in the long run spending the money for a jabber or a karate monkey or something like that in a frameset and building it up. i originally thought i would go a cheaper route looking for a factory ss 26er and would eventually change the components that i didn't like. i decided to buy a surly 1x1 frame and build it up and even though it almost doubled my budget, it was worth it. surly is a great company to work with your lbs if you would be interested in the karate monkey frameset.
    I'll have to agree with this. If you have the cash, build it up with good quality parts. I built up my Surly Steamroller instead of buying a complete rig. I haven't changed a thing and probably won't for a long time. In the long run, it's more cost efficient.

  22. #22
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcart10
    i think that you will be happier in the long run spending the money for a jabber or a karate monkey or something like that in a frameset and building it up. i originally thought i would go a cheaper route looking for a factory ss 26er and would eventually change the components that i didn't like. i decided to buy a surly 1x1 frame and build it up and even though it almost doubled my budget, it was worth it. surly is a great company to work with your lbs if you would be interested in the karate monkey frameset.

    You had a choice between option A and the more expensive option B. You chose option B. How could you possibly know that it was worth the greater expense? Did you also try option A?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5
    I just ordered a monocog 29er from the LBS (Ski and Bike shop Grand Forks, ND) Picked it up a few days ago for exactly $500 U.S. , so its in your range. So far its been great. I know they don't carry it, but they don't obligate you to buy if you do order one. So you could call and order one up, then if you come check it out you aren't out anything but the drive if you aren't pleased.

    However, actually getting that particular shop to get their heads out of their butts and do something might be a bit of a challenge....

  24. #24
    Single Speed Nation
    Reputation: great_big_abyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    133
    Well, I was talking to my LBS, and they made me a deal I can't refuse (something to do with a severed horse's head?!?). So I've put a deposit on the last Peace they have. Sure, it's only got 26" wheels, but it's still a sweet bike, it's the right size, and I'm sure it'll do me fine. Thanks for your help and suggestions, guys.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by great_big_abyss
    Well, I was talking to my LBS, and they made me a deal I can't refuse (something to do with a severed horse's head?!?). So I've put a deposit on the last Peace they have. Sure, it's only got 26" wheels, but it's still a sweet bike, it's the right size, and I'm sure it'll do me fine. Thanks for your help and suggestions, guys.
    Which bike?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gjenkins@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by scuver
    Which bike?
    Sounds like he got a GT Peace.

  27. #27
    Single Speed Nation
    Reputation: great_big_abyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    133
    Yeah, it's a GT Peace in glossy black. I think it's a 2008 model, so 26" wheels only. It has the eccentric bottom bracket, which means disc brakes. Right now it's got a set of useless Textro mechies, so I'll take them off and replace them with my set of '03 XT's. They should be the perfect brake for this bike. I'm looking forward to riding it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.