Factory built flat bar SS or does any make a 1x9?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Factory built flat bar SS or does any make a 1x9?

I'm looking for a bike to ride with the kids -- those times when I'll have on street shoes and normal clothes. For now they're too young for off road, but hoping next year I can get them on totally flat double track.

I was thinking about buying a used MTB (my wife as a Rascal that's pretty cool) then converting whatever I find to a SS or 1x9, but I'm having trouble finding a good condition rigid MTB (I have a 30" inseam -- so sub 17" I'd guess) and frankly, I don't have a ton of free time for a project bike (I'd rather be riding!).

Who makes a decent entry level flat bar SS that I could put 1.5-2.0 tires on? What about a multi-speed rear w/ fixed front -- 1x9, 1x3, etc -- doesn't anyone make one that is worth buying? The more I think about it, the more I think it'd be way easier to buy something built. I know road parts and I know MTB parts (or at least I did 5 yrs ago), but I don't know anything about SS. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not a bad option. The 440 is more what I was thinking price-wise. Could you run a street 700 x 32 on that? Any ideal on weight? I hate heavy bikes... for me that is.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cmd miler
    Not a bad option. The 440 is more what I was thinking price-wise. Could you run a street 700 x 32 on that? Any ideal on weight? I hate heavy bikes... for me that is.
    You said 9-speed, not 8

I'm sure the bike would accept 32's, but I don't know if they would be too narrow for the rim. I have the OEM wheelset from my Cog29er on a monstercross bike with 38's and it works fine. A SWAG for weight is 27 lbs, but who knows?

-Rob.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    SE Stout. MSRP 480, and would take you about five minutes to make it into a 1x9. Go for it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How about 26ers? Anyone make a decent one with a rigid fork or is that just too 1990s?

mtbr member
    there's also the marin hamilton 29er. its called an urban 29er single speed. it runs about $400 from rei or any close by marin dealer.
    http://www.rei.com/product/776761

Members who have read this thread: 0