f.u.k.- u.- Mtbr.com

Thread: f.u.k.- u.

meh... whatever

f.u.k.- u.

that's right boys and girls. once again i'm trying to organize the <font size=4>F<font size=2>ixed-gear <font size=4>U<font size=2>noffical <font size=4>K<font size=2>ing of the <font size=4>U<font size=2>niverse race next year in cameron park in late summer/early fall.

there's only one class -- fixed gear.

no age/gender brackets. no coasting. no gears. no multispeed fixed hubs either.

helmets required, but other than that let your FG freak flag fly.

race course to be around 16-20 miles, multi-directional on the trails (for added joy), with a checkpoint marking system to make sure no one short-courses.

in the past there's been some interest, but not enough to make it anything other than a pirate race. to get a venue here in cameron park we need $$$ in the form of rider and sponsor interest. i've already gotten some sponsorship from Bicycles Outback here in waco, but we needs mo' money to be able to cover the usage fees for the park in order to be able to actually mark off a course, kick people off the trail, and hold a race. not to mention t-shirts, number plates, course markers, swag, and trophies.

i'd like to hold it on a sunday morning so those who have to drive in would have time to get home after the race. maybe on a 3-day weekend so there'd be time to hang out and schmooze on sunday after the race. input?

there is camping in the park east and plenty of hotels close by.

which of my fellow non-coasting trail scorchers are up for it?

need individual interest and corporate sponsorship, so if you can drum up support or are a interested in sponsoring the event make yourself known. doesn't have to be huge, but every little bit helps. can be in the form of prizes, goods, swag, etc. as well.

come on, tough guys... come getcha some!
    Last edited by monogod; 10-26-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

One gear is all you need
    Nov 2009
    I'm in.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Well, this thread is a cursing let down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Im totally IN.

I read this post and when I saw cameron park I was so happy. Post up on DORBA.org in the XC forum
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    Post up on DORBA.org in the XC forum
    will do.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Well, this thread is a cursing let down.

Hey marth.....

don't think they got it.....

but hey.....I like to coast once in awhile don't you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm interested. I'm in Houston, so it's not a terrible drive up. Cameron Park is nice.

mtbr member
    What City?

'Calm Down'
    +1

jw

Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    What City?
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    South of Dallas, near Waco.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    What City?
    cameron park in waco, texas.
    Last edited by monogod; 12-02-2012 at 12:26 AM.

mtbr member
    I have family who live in Fort Worth (I am on East Coast). I would so organize a vacay/visit around this... except I could never tell them the name of the race, them being God fearin' folk and all...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bike for days View Post
    I have family who live in Fort Worth (I am on East Coast). I would so organize a vacay/visit around this... except I could never tell them the name of the race, them being God fearin' folk and all...
    Just tell them its the Fixed-gear Unoffical King of the Universe race. They'd never get it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You need a big middle finger logo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Coming out of a *rigid* fork. Hey-yo!

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    He's alive!

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by bui View Post
    He's alive!
    hey bro, indeed i am!

where ya hidin' these days?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm in Houston. I could be convinced to come for a weekend of riding/racing/camping. I just did the bicycles outback race there a couple weeks ago. Crazy tough course, but very fun.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by johnybutts View Post
    I'm in Houston. I could be convinced to come for a weekend of riding/racing/camping. I just did the bicycles outback race there a couple weeks ago. Crazy tough course, but very fun.
    the outback blowout course only used 1/3 of the park. we'll be using much more of it for the fixed gear championship course.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    the outback blowout course only used 1/3 of the park. we'll be using much more of it for the fixed gear championship course.
    Does that mean harder or easier?

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by johnybutts View Post
    Does that mean harder or easier?
    don't know that i would say harder so much as not as repetitive. the course will be spread out over the park more than it was for the blowout, but there will be some pretty intense sections.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I would like to win that **** but im in a different state.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    hey bro, indeed i am!

where ya hidin' these days?
    Still doing my time in Funkytown. Haven't been down to ride Waco since April...I'm thinking I will be making a trip pretty soon.

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by bui View Post
    Still doing my time in Funkytown. Haven't been down to ride Waco since April...I'm thinking I will be making a trip pretty soon.
    hit me up... we'll roll!

SS in CO
    I'd be down for participating if I can find me a fixed cog for my SS. I'm in Fort Worth...

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    I'd be down for participating if I can find me a fixed cog for my SS. I'm in Fort Worth...

J.
    send tomi a few bucks and you'll be set.

SS in CO
    very interesting! I'll check it out. thanks!

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

meh... whatever
    getting some good feedback and interest, but still need more. especially on the sponsorship side.

are there any good local forums to post to? will be posting in dorba and bike mojo this week. any other good local forums to post to? the more we can get the word out the better chance of making it real.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I dont know if Austin has an equivalent to dorba, but if so, that would be another good place to post. Tmbra would be another good place to post and/or contact some higher-ups.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    I dont know if Austin has an equivalent to dorba, but if so, that would be another good place to post. Tmbra would be another good place to post and/or contact some higher-ups.
    holy moly! can't believe i didn't think to post it to tmbra! not sure i wanna involve the higher-ups though... we can't have it be TOO official! just want the freedom to do it how we want without having "the man" poopin' in our corn flakes.

i'll post up to austin ridge riders too.

regarding sponsorship and entry fees: the only costs that need to be covered are park usage fees, number plates, t-shirts, trophies, and swag. i'm not trying to make any $$$ of it, just tryin to organize what i think would be a really fun niche event.

depending on outside sponsorship and racer census i'm thinking an entry fee of between $50-60. that's pretty much on par with series races and a little less than some of the more "specialty races" i've participated in across the country. feedback?
    Last edited by monogod; 12-02-2012 at 12:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    regarding sponsorship and entry fees: the only costs that need to be covered are park usage fees, number plates, t-shirts, trophies, and swag. i'm not trying to make any $$$ of it, just tryin to organize what i think would be a really run niche event.

depending on outside sponsorship and racer census i'm thinking an entry fee of between $50-60. that's pretty much on par with series races and a little less than some of the more "specialty races" i've participated in across the country. feedback?
    The only problem I can think of is that not too many shops will want to sponsor a race named fuk u. Dont get me wrong, I love the name, but if you are trying to get some shops on board the name might have to be watered down. Or just water down the official name and then put fuk u all over the T-shirts and # plates

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    had a suggestion for trophies to be of the human hand variety...

1st: galloping goose
    2nd: peace sign
    3rd: the shocker with index and middle fingers slightly spread to form 3 distinct digits

meh... whatever
    weekend bump!

i've got a couple of small sponsors lined up. also have a couple of major ones interested depending on soft commits from participants.

so thanks to the few that have shown interest, but we's a'gonna need more pilots if'n we's wanna make this a reality.

mtbr member
    weekend bump!

i've got a couple of small sponsors lined up. also have a couple of major ones interested depending on soft commits from participants.

so thanks to the few that have shown interest, but we's a'gonna need more pilots if'n we's wanna make this a reality.
    This might be a shot in the dark, but have you looked into that new fangled crowd-sourcing that the (indie)kids are doing, ie: kickstarter.com?

I think that could help fill the gap of people who love the idea but don't ride, or who ride but are terrified of FGmtb but want to contribute.

Make a quick sales pitch video with some locals scorching the gnar. All it would take is a few iPhones and an account... just a thought, but I've seen weirder stuff break their goals on there!

Members who have read this thread: 0