F-it! I'm riding... and frozen?- Mtbr.com
    Sofa King We Todd Did

F-it! I'm riding... and frozen?

A bit of a dilemma I'm facing. Was able to wrangle a day off tomorrow, from my shedload of vacation days leftover from last year. Naturally, what's the first thing I wanna do? Hop on my bike and go cover some 20 miles of snowladen road and trail, of course! It's been two whopping weeks since I did a proper ride due to excessive cold and snowfall. And it's killing me.

Thing is, the forecast calls for clear skies but a 10-degrees F at a wind chill of subzero. Now, conventional wisdom says stay in, put a fire in the fireplace and watch Sportcenter. But I swear my legs are getting all 'jumpy' from not riding for so long that I'm prepared to say "f*ck it, I'm outta here... frostbite be damned!"

What's a biking fool to do...?

Medium?

How 'bout

10 miles with a little flask of something and still have time for SportsCenter?

giddy up!
    What's sports center?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Sofa King We Todd Did
    That's a good idea about the flask bit. Here's the thing, I've got no problem whatsoever having a little nip of something to warm me up, even if it's early in the morning. But according to my wife, if I so much as crack open a beer at 11:59am or earlier, I'm a raging alcoholic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

It's noon somewhere......

plus she won't be riding with you. That's to bad a nip off the flask is a great thing when it is that cold.

Harrumph
    Fixie's don't have cables and derail's to freeze up and I second the flask idea. But bring some water, cold air is dry air and you won't know you need water.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

34N 118W

Eddie would go...

if you have the right gear, I'd say go for it. I don't know about 20 miles at sub zero...that's your call. And I'd time it to where the fire and Sport Center are both kickin' in right as you come back in the door

I don't think taking water along will last without freezing. But the flask idea or a thermos of coffee sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    What's a biking fool to do...?

Whatever! Just crash it!
    if it's early in the morning. But according to my wife, if I so much as crack open a beer at 11:59am or earlier, I'm a raging alcoholic.
    And being a raging alcoholic is bad?

Just checking.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

Sofa King We Todd Did

Rumble in the Bronx

Fire in the fireplace? Check.

Sportscenter? Check.

F-it! I'm riding despite conventional wisdom? Double check! I compromised this morning. Instead of riding the 6 miles out to the trails, I tossed the bike into the trunk of the car and drove to the trail entrance. I was bundled up like the Michelin Man. Chamois shorts, leg warmers, arm warmers, sweat pants, fleece top, padded downhill pants (for insulation only), superpuffy anorak, neck gator, two pairs of gloves, head warmer. I felt like the kid from A Christmas Story.

Anyway, I got there and in 10 minutes, both my water bottles were frozen. Decided against the booze 'cause I'm an idiot. But the riding was terrific nonetheless. I felt cold the first 10-15 minutes or so, but after that, I warmed up nicely and started to get into the groove. Hardest thing was trying to loosen up my joints and stuff - I was so stiff at first I thought I was going to toss myself off the bike.

Didn't overdo it - just under 5 miles of trails, just enough to get my ya-yas out. Took some pics along the way - I never do that, but this time, what the hell.

Pic 1: At the start, not too bad
    Pic 2: Guess I wasn't the only one who said "F-it! I'm riding!" Hey shiggy, what tires made these tracks, tough guy?
    Pic 3: That's gonna be a long climb up
    Pic 4: If you didn't know any better, you'd think this was the middle of summer, by Lake Como or something... yeah, right.
    Pic 5: Then you see the amount of ice two turns down...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What kind of handlebars are those?

FeelsGood

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

is that liquid water?

can't be too cold

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Those are some cheap-ass cruiser bars that are flipped and wrapped. What you play around with when you don't have the dosh for Jones H-bars. I've grown to love 'em.

Recovering couch patato
    I think one of those tire tracks if of your own bike. Pana Smoke&Dart? The other make me say (uneducated guess really) Geax.
    I can't stop looking at your bar setup. My 3spd commuter has something extremely similar, but due to the short fork and lust for comfort, I mounted them as lame risers. I wish they were just that little bit shallower angled, 45 like Jones, in stead of my 50-47 or so. Also, my commuter bike's just too short to make them work for trail rinding or a good position. Still, I like them.
    Some beachraces are coming up here in NL, one even a points season's opener. I'll mount one on my Fisher (sorry, geared content), upside down like yours, and have a whole range of stem lengths to chose from, 120/130/140mm so one ought to work as I normally ride 90mm-17. Man will I be a fast MOFO with such a low handlebar setup :-)
    Do you ever ride the dropping "tops"? That seems like a comfortable and aero higher speed smooth trail/pavement/beach position....

Mine are shiny black alu, weigh 26g and cost just 9,20 full retail.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Cloxxi, if your steerer tube's too short, could you use a long stem with a tall rise, maybe something like 30 or so?

I attached the picture below to help illustrate how I use the bars. Position 1 is where my hands are majority of the time. I shift up to Position 2 when I'm braking or when I'm riding through some rough patches that may need me to feather the brakes on occasion. Position 3 is when it's fairly flat and I wanna stretch out and get some speed. The reason I really dig the flipdown placement of the bar is because in Position 3, my hands turn slightly outwards and feel naturally places in that corner - if they were rightside up, then my hands would be turned inwards.

There is one more position - on the flat section closest to the stem - but I almost never use that 'cause the whole ride gets all unstable and jerky in that position.

My one wish is that these bars were slightly wider. They're about 23.5" end-to-end right now.

Recovering couch patato
    Cloxxi, if your steerer tube's too short, could you use a long stem with a tall rise, maybe something like 30 or so?

I attached the picture below to help illustrate how I use the bars.
    Thanks for the nice graphics!
    Mine are a tad under 24", 605mm. I, too, wish mine were a bit wider, or just angled out a few degrees. I'm afraid I can't do that to cheap alu. Any people that would know about that, please? Just 5 on each side, to bring them to 45, would add about an inch at the widest point already. 40, or close to 2" wider, might still be nice, while takingaway a bit of the added reach that's so cumbersome if you're already on long stems with flat bars.

Well, actually, the headtube isn't that short at all, and despite the short cross fork, the fat 28" slick brings the 26" bike totally back into the 80mm corrected geometry. I have some spacers under the stem, used to use 130x5, and now have 140x0 on it. As this is supposed to be my groceries bike as well, I don't lower the bars too much. 150x10/15 would be nice, but where to find that for cheap? Cheap is the main word in this whole setup.
    I now how to land a good deal on a pair of LX rapidfires somewhere, as those have removable gear indicators. The Deore ones are now elevated forward above the bend, not good. Or, find an ESP mech for my X7 shifters.

Now, should I want to try and bend these 1.8mm thick alu bars a bit outward? And if yes, how?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski