extremely stupid question....- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004

    extremely stupid question....

    So last night, I am all mellow and relaxed, watching NOVA on PBS. It was a show about trebuchets and I was pretty much showing Annabel how to me all tomboyish n' stuff...

    And I am thinking, as I was thinking about 29ers and bikes n' all that's the anit-hope for cars...

    are 700x45 tires the same as a 2.1?

    There, that's the question.

    Some times, I wonder if the noises I hear in the walls are the old ghosts who used to live in the house. I swear, I hear a lot of stuff at night in the house...could the house be haunted? I've heard whispers at night too...

    What's the width of my handlebars? Why does NightRider and Night Ranger and Winger suck?

    Why does the 1st Punsher movie with Dolph Lundgren suck so much?

    Why doesn't Milwaukee spend some nice cash in a commuter train system? Like Chicago?

    Why?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Englehardt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    332

    1.8

    Nope that would be 1.8"

    1 mm = .0393 inch, so 45 mm = 1.7685"

    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    So last night, I am all mellow and relaxed, watching NOVA on PBS. It was a show about trebuchets and I was pretty much showing Annabel how to me all tomboyish n' stuff...

    And I am thinking, as I was thinking about 29ers and bikes n' all that's the anit-hope for cars...

    are 700x45 tires the same as a 2.1?

    There, that's the question.

    Some times, I wonder if the noises I hear in the walls are the old ghosts who used to live in the house. I swear, I hear a lot of stuff at night in the house...could the house be haunted? I've heard whispers at night too...

    What's the width of my handlebars? Why does NightRider and Night Ranger and Winger suck?

    Why does the 1st Punsher movie with Dolph Lundgren suck so much?

    Why doesn't Milwaukee spend some nice cash in a commuter train system? Like Chicago?

    Why?

  3. #3
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    are 700x45 tires the same as a 2.1?

    There, that's the question.
    No, mate. I run Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45c tires and they're considerably smaller than 29er 2.1 tires. 2.1 tire are at least 5mm taller, I think. And they're definitely wider than these 45c tires I run. A quick check of shiggy's site will show you the numbers. Compare numbers between specs of the Panaracer Smoke 700x44c versus the IRC Mythos 29er 2.1 tires, for example.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004

    thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    No, mate. I run Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45c tires and they're considerably smaller than 29er 2.1 tires. 2.1 tire are at least 5mm taller, I think. And they're definitely wider than these 45c tires I run. A quick check of shiggy's site will show you the numbers. Compare numbers between specs of the Panaracer Smoke 700x44c versus the IRC Mythos 29er 2.1 tires, for example.
    Thanks! yes, just curious. All I know if that I ride them and they already look biggish. How do you like them Panaracers? I've not had a chance to take them off road.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: the locust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Thanks! yes, just curious. All I know if that I ride them and they already look biggish. How do you like them Panaracers? I've not had a chance to take them off road.
    what are you running on the lobster? i am running maxxis ignitors on my 1x1 ala 29"

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004

    the

    Quote Originally Posted by the locust
    what are you running on the lobster? i am running maxxis ignitors on my 1x1 ala 29"
    the 2.3 magamutanovelocianklyosaurus tires are too close for comfort, so I went n' got 700x45, they provide needed room.

    Right now, 700x38 for commuting.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 02-06-2007 at 07:09 PM.

  7. #7
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Thanks! yes, just curious. All I know if that I ride them and they already look biggish. How do you like them Panaracers? I've not had a chance to take them off road.
    These Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45c simply rock! From the pic below, they're not exactly skinny, are they. Like I mentioned in my original post about converting my Surly 1x1 into a 29er, they ran so well that I'm not sure what further benefit I might gain from going to a 2.1 tires. That doesn't mean I'm not going to experiment anyway...!


  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004

    whoa!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    These Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45c simply rock! From the pic below, they're not exactly skinny, are they. Like I mentioned in my original post about converting my Surly 1x1 into a 29er, they ran so well that I'm not sure what further benefit I might gain from going to a 2.1 tires. That doesn't mean I'm not going to experiment anyway...!
    That's a nice rig. And them rotors? 8"? You could sure do some gnome damage with them.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 01-25-2006 at 10:03 AM. Reason: bla

  9. #9
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    Those are indeed 8" rotors. Mega deal from Jenson during their X'mas promotion. Got the whole setup, front and rear, save for the levers, for a bit under $60.

    Quote Originally Posted by the locust
    i am running maxxis ignitors on my 1x1 ala 29"
    Would love to see pictures of this, with any close-ups you might have so that we can see the tire clearance upclose.

  10. #10
    Account Retired
    Reputation: LakeRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    607
    I swear, I hear a lot of stuff at night in the house...could the house be haunted? I've heard whispers at night too...
    Do the whispers ever bid you to macrame a pair of hot pants for yourself?

    So locust........I'm getting my conti 29r tires back?........king cog too?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004

    Macrame

    Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    Do the whispers ever bid you to macrame a pair of hot pants for yourself?

    So locust........I'm getting my conti 29r tires back?........king cog too?
    Macrame pants? right! Macrame chaps is more like it!!!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: the locust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    Do the whispers ever bid you to macrame a pair of hot pants for yourself?

    So locust........I'm getting my conti 29r tires back?........king cog too?
    but of course my good man, on the 4th if all goes well. i may even bring the 1x1 ala 29 out to play depending on time constraints.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: the locust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Those are indeed 8" rotors. Mega deal from Jenson during their X'mas promotion. Got the whole setup, front and rear, save for the levers, for a bit under $60.


    Would love to see pictures of this, with any close-ups you might have so that we can see the tire clearance upclose.
    i will take some Glamour Shots tonight after work and post em up.

  14. #14
    SUBLIM8er
    Reputation: Axis II's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    These Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45c simply rock! From the pic below, they're not exactly skinny, are they. Like I mentioned in my original post about converting my Surly 1x1 into a 29er, they ran so well that I'm not sure what further benefit I might gain from going to a 2.1 tires. That doesn't mean I'm not going to experiment anyway...!

    Maybe I'll give those a look but...First, how heavy are they? And second, how do they hook up in tight fast turns?...are the outboard lugs stiff or flaccid?
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

  15. #15
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    Heavy? According to the Panaracer site, these babies are 690g. Say you call bullsh!t on that and add 20% to that weight - you're still only talking about an 800g tire. The treads are everything you know and love about Panaracer Fires - they're set out wide, they're stiff enough to dig in, and they offer plenty of tasty grip. Under very wet and sloppy conditions, they were narrow enough to dig through the muck, and these tires barely slipped, so I'm giving them a rating of 9 out of 10.

  16. #16
    (was) Big in Japan
    Reputation: TheSingleGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Heavy? According to the Panaracer site, these babies are 690g. Say you call bullsh!t on that and add 20% to that weight - you're still only talking about an 800g tire. The treads are everything you know and love about Panaracer Fires - they're set out wide, they're stiff enough to dig in, and they offer plenty of tasty grip. Under very wet and sloppy conditions, they were narrow enough to dig through the muck, and these tires barely slipped, so I'm giving them a rating of 9 out of 10.
    Do you have wire bead versions? Mine are foldies, and they come in at 604 and 597ish, I think. Right on the nose of the published weights for the kevlar folders (600g). Haven't used them yet, but they sure do look grippy! If only I had another 29er to put them on....hey, that's a great idea!

    BTW, I think your 1x1x29 kicks butt! that thing looks badass with those wheels, and I think you're gonna be selling your 26er stuff pretty soon....
    Ride.

  17. #17
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    Sorry, I simply used the number published on the Panaracer site - I didn't exactly weigh the tires myself. I do have the kevlar bear tires and they do seem terribly light, so win-win all around.

    I know you're in Japan and all, but if you ever feel the need to unload your Panaracer Fire Cross tire(s) for cheap, do holler!

    Thanks for the kind words on the 1x1. Each weekday is spent in anticipation of weekend to ride it!

  18. #18
    Retro Grouch
    Reputation: aka brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,091

    I didn't know you bought a Rocklobster..

    What a sweet bike. I missed your blog so give me the Readers Digest. Was this a new bike made for you by Paul? If so, what was your core concept. I live/work a couple miles from Paul's shop and came by every couple of days when he was building my bike. There is nothing like the way a good custom bike fits. How was your experience and what was the result? Come on dude give it up (again?).

    1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,481
    WTF is all that white stuff on the ground in the pix...?

    BTW, started riding back in 1990-91 in the Kettle Moraine when the Nordic Trails were still open to mountain bikes. Always enjoyed a cookie from the LaGrange General Store. Miss that area...how is it these days? Whaddya have now - John Muir and Emma Carlin Trails? There used to be some long random connector between the two...
    Last edited by waltaz; 01-26-2006 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Wisconsin memories...is that a tear?
    Ride more; post less...

  20. #20
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,803

    ...light rail? aw jeez.

    Is the ~50 degree day getting your brain too warm? If there was rail in Milwaukee... then the next thing you know they'd start pushing the thing west toward Waukesha... Johnson Creek... Cottage Grove... and then it'd all go to hell when they hit Madison.

    What was your point again?

    never mind... I'm on my third Uff-da Bock. I'm "studying " for 8 hours of 1st aid/CPR training tomorrow. I'd rather be riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.