Extra Small Single Speed Frame recs- Mtbr.com
    banned

Extra Small Single Speed Frame recs

I have a friend who wants to get into single speeding. Her concern is her height and as such my guess is that she may need custom.

I think her inseam is about 27". Do you have any words of wisdom (and/or pictures) regarding a recommended builder for the frame? Also, might there be an issue running a suspension fork with such steep angles?

I recommended she contact Walt and gave her many other builders she could check with but figured I would post here as well.

Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Wade at Vulture Cycles has built many frames for small riders. Highly recommended.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned
    thanks for that! will forward info on.

Probably drunk right now

Surly....

Quote Originally Posted by your_mom_does
    I have a friend who wants to get into single speeding. Her concern is her height and as such my guess is that she may need custom.

I think her inseam is about 27". Do you have any words of wisdom (and/or pictures) regarding a recommended builder for the frame? Also, might there be an issue running a suspension fork with such steep angles?

I recommended she contact Walt and gave her many other builders she could check with but figured I would post here as well.

Thanks

Surly has really small frames.

Manual4ever

Stp?

I ride a 14" Giant STP, SS of course. I notice this year they offer a SS version right out of the box. It is very small and addaptable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kona Explosif

The Kona Explosif ($399 from www.bikeman.com) comes in a 14" size (just ordered one for SSue, so shhhhhh don't tell her) that uses the same sliding rear dropouts as their SS Unit. disc/v-brake capable. Tho made for an 80mm fork we have found they work better with longer forks 100-130mm. If you need smaller than that most frame builders have good results. Just saw a VERY small Vulture at Barbie Camp and ieeeeee said she loved it.

bike ON
    bob
    vulture rider
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

prawny

little Vulture

Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    The Kona Explosif ($399 from www.bikeman.com) comes in a 14" size (just ordered one for SSue, so shhhhhh don't tell her) that uses the same sliding rear dropouts as their SS Unit. disc/v-brake capable. Tho made for an 80mm fork we have found they work better with longer forks 100-130mm. If you need smaller than that most frame builders have good results. Just saw a VERY small Vulture at Barbie Camp and ieeeeee said she loved it.

bike ON
    bob
    vulture rider

Yup. Indeed. Love it.

Delivered in June and so far it's the only bike I want to ride (the others collect dust -- I didn't intend for that, but that's how it is).

I'm 5'2" & ~105 lbs and there are NOT a lot of off-the-shelf options on this end of the spectrum -- my other mtbs include an older Voodoo Wanga and a Titus Racer-X (XS, which is not the smallest they make). Last year the Voodoo lost some extraneous parts, and with the help of an experienced interventionist, morphed into a ss and showed me the light. Trouble was it is a tad too big for me AND doesn't have disc tabs.

ENTER... Wade & Derrick of Vulture Cycles.

www.vulturecycles.com

6 wks later a new little Vulture frame arrived at my doorstep. Happy happy!

Had a happy time building it up and now even more fun riding -- it handles REALLY well and is a blast -- most importantly, it turns out that riding a bike that fits offers a WHOLE new level of fun & satisfaction.

Custom frame, custom paint... here're a couple pics -- maybe they've been posted before, but what the heck I always say.

~ieeee!

ps -- as for Sue's secret new bike...way to go! Do you have a brother?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Wow, that is one of the nicest looking custom painted frames I have ever seen. How much did that set you back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by your_mom_does

Thanks
    another, somwhat less bling option is a 24" bmx frame- some of the aluminum frames are quite light, and can be built up into excellent ss'rs-
    finding a good suspension fork is tricky, though.

Members who have read this thread: 0