Explosif or Unit- Mtbr.com
    Hell Track

Explosif or Unit

Any Advice?

2015 Explosif geared with fox 34 fork 27.5 wheels, dropper post. Very good condition.
    I'd have to convert to SS which will cost more, But I like the fact that it has a Suspension fork.

2017 Unit excellent condition. 27.5 plus, custom build already set up SS.
    Looks like the 2017 has cable routing if I decide to go geared

I guess I'm wondering which would be more versatile. The Explosif will cost me about $250 more.

mtbr member
    The Unit is going to be limited to a 100mm fork (straight from the horse's mouth, I emailed Kona about it) and should be 27.5+ and 29er compatible. The Explosif is probably not going to accept 29er wheels but should take a longer fork. depends on if you want a stable 29er or a rowdier B bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I have the '17 Unit SS and love it, haven't ridden the Explosif. I like it rigid most of the time, but am a little interested in suspension.

I didn't like the stock WTB Trailblazers and when I ripped a sidewall I immediately put Nobby Nic 2.8"s on there. Major improvement in traction and cornering.

Hell Track
    Thanks all
    I'm leaning toward the Unit. Less $$$ and straight out it's set up as SS. I've got my FS 26" for rowdiness. Don't know how I feel about the b+ thing, but as you said Mack it can do 29er wheels as well

mtbr member
    you found one used?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I ride a xl unit on northshore, very versatile but obviously not a downhill machine. Can be ss or geared, rigid or squish. Whatever takes my fancy that week ☺ i stick my maxxis dhf 3.0 on the front with the rigid forks.... Great fun

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    The Unit is going to be limited to a 100mm fork (straight from the horse's mouth, I emailed Kona about it) and should be 27.5+ and 29er compatible. The Explosif is probably not going to accept 29er wheels but should take a longer fork. depends on if you want a stable 29er or a rowdier B bike.
    I run a longer fork on my Big Unit despite Kona telling me it's also designed around a 100mm fork. I don't find it a negative experience IMO.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    According to Kona, it's a safety thing. I would not risk it on my own ride, as I value the structural integrity of my teeth.

Hell Track
    Potentially have found a used one. I'm looking at the karate monkey too 2017. It's ready for suspension and more dropper posts available in 30.9. I know that's not popular with the SS crowd, but I dig them. I'm over thinking all this. I just need to pull the trigger on one and go for it. Every shop in town can order them but none in stock

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    According to Kona, it's a safety thing. I would not risk it on my own ride, as I value the structural integrity of my teeth.
    If it can do a 100mm safely I'm fine with that. Even 80mm just to take the edge off

EXORCIZE
    I would get the Explosif because I think it is such a timeless, perfect bike and a smart spec. It's everything one needs to ride in bliss for the rest of one's life: Reynolds steel hard tail, short stays with sliding dropouts, 5" QR15 fork, Shimano SLX hydraulics/transmission, bold-yet-classic orange/black paint, sufficiently wide tubeless rims, versatile trail geo. Well done, Kona.

I appreciate carbon fiber, full-suspension, etc., etc., but there's a part of me that wishes off-road bike development had stopped with bikes like this.

If you want 27.5+ or 29, then you must get something else.

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by qtzmznt View Post
    I have the '17 Unit SS and love it, haven't ridden the Explosif. I like it rigid most of the time, but am a little interested in suspension.

I didn't like the stock WTB Trailblazers and when I ripped a sidewall I immediately put Nobby Nic 2.8"s on there. Major improvement in traction and cornering.
    What size do you ride?

Hell Track
    I ended up purchasing a 2017 Kona Unit, lightly used. Has upgraded brakes from stock build. It will be shipped this week. Pics to come.

Thanks for the advice

Hell Track
    2018's are now up on the website. Only change I see with the unit is the seat tube diameter

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Nice they increased the seat tube diameter, more dropper options. I could only find 100mm options for the 2017 but like the KS LEV I put on.

They changed some other things too, brakes and levers, hubs went from Joytech to Formula, dropped the WTB Trailblazers for Rangers, lost the sweet matte green color.

Hell Track
    Yeah, some spec changes. I'll probably put a LEV on mine. I'm so used to the dropper post now.

Hell Track
    Got the 2017 unit. Got an issue with the freehub on the stock wheels. It's making a grinding sound. Maybe something got knocked loose in shipping. Seller said he had no issue.