Exploded Chris King Single Speed Drive Shell Diagram- Mtbr.com
    Karma Vampire

New question here. Exploded Chris King Single Speed Drive Shell Diagram

OK dufus here lost the sketch I made of my CK SS drive shell when I took it apart a few weeks ago. I got distracted with a move and bla, bla.... Now I am trying to put everything back together. Can't find and an exploded view in the Technical Service Manual or on the CK website. I tried emailing CK but I think they are on Holiday.

Here is the order I seem to recall them going in back into the SS shell:
    1) white inner seal
    2) drive shell bearing (ballz out facing outboard)
    3) Capture plate #1
    4) needle bearing race
    5) needle bearing
    6) capture plate #2
    7) threaded seal ring

If someone who has the CK SS hubs and knows how these go together could confirm my assembly order above and/or has a scan of a sketch they could attach to this forum post, I would be very grateful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    follow-up question, can I grab a CK ss freehub body and pop it onto a regular mountain hub, shorten the axle, then end up with a CK 120mm wide ss hub for my steamroller??

(somebody please say yes!)

mtbr member
    Take a look at the movies here. Check out Driveshell Reassembly. The Tech service manual has similar info in text. I don't have a SS hub, but I did use this info to completely service 9-speed hubs. With a hub tool of course.

Good luck.

-Mud

Karma Vampire

Hope Still hoping to get help from someone with a SINGLE SPEED Hub

Thanks for the add-on question and the 8/9-spd suggestion. Luckily, I have several sketches of my CK 8/9-speed version.

However, because the single speed drive shell is shorter, the internal parts of the drive shell are slightly different. So I am still looking for a sketch or confirmation of the assy order.

No, that's not phonetic
    Isn't it the same as the reassembly of the BMX drive shell mechanism (page 39 of the tech manual)?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

'Calm Down'
    Yes it is. That's what I was directed to by King the first time I had one apart. Unfortunately I've never found an exploded view of a SS hub, just the text in the Tech Manual.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Isn't it the same as the reassembly of the BMX drive shell mechanism (page 39 of the tech manual)?
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Karma Vampire
    I thought the same thing regarding the BMX drive shell. However, the instructions (again no picture) doesn't seem to mention some of the parts I have listed above. No mention of capture plates or needbearing race. I didnot need the tool to install the needlebearing cage. It just doesn't seem to match the SS hub I have. I was hoping someone could post a sketch. I went ahead and put it back as I mentioned above.

It seem to work to perfection yesterday for a day of bone jarring riding on iced covered trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I once had almost same question (normal to SS Drive Shell conversion). Finally I got answer from CK tech.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...66632#poststop

For SS Drive Shell
    in order bottom to top :
    1: inner seal,
    2: DS Bearing,
    3: capture plate,
    4: needle race,
    5:needle bearing,
    6:capture plate,
    7:seal ring.

So,29again, your assembly order is right, I believe.

(Following is FYI content)
    For Normal Drive Shell
    1: inner seal,
    2: DS Bearing,
    3: capture sleeve,
    4: needle race,
    5: needle bearing,
    6: capture plate,
    7: seal ring

So for these conversion (the normal to SS Drive Shell) needs extra capture plate. All other parts for Drive shell are interchangeble (sorry but I don't have any info about BMX DS).

Hope this helps,

-Aki
    "Semper Farcisimus!"

Karma Vampire

Thanks

Thanks angrybee. I thought the #3-plate vs #3-sleeve was the main difference between the SS vs 8/9-spd drive shell assy. I think the sleeve makes up for the longer drive shell in the 8/9-spd version. I wonder why CK hasn't clarified the SS specific information on the website with a video/diagram. Thanks to all who replied to my post.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Thread hijack..... and why doesn't CK offer a stainless (or even better, titanium) singlespeed drive shell?

Tripolar on most days
    Is this what you are looking for?

Members who have read this thread: 0