Expensive miskate :(- Mtbr.com
    beer *****es n' bikes

Expensive miskate :(

Well I got my new gearie yesterday and took it out this morning. Its an '04 Stumpjumper Comp HT... Fox Terralogic, Mavic 225's, new XT/XTR, etc. A nice bike, right?

Well I hated it. I have been riding my rigid $20 SS lately and got so frustrated with the stupid geared bike I turned around and went back home. I didn't pay retail for the Stumpjumper cause I work at a shop but for $1630 I was hoping the bike would make me faster, (stupid, I know) but I found myself NOT clearing things I have been clearing lately on my SS because I had to fiddle with the gears constantly, got chainsuck already, and felt like everytime I hit a big root on an uphill I lost so much momentum it was like hitting a wall. I wasn't even faster on DOWNHILLS, I felt like the bike was steering me and I wasn't steering the bike at all.

To be fair, the Fox Terralogic is amazing... ZERO bob on the uphills and on fast sections, and zero bob when you are standing cranking down on the front end. However at the same time I felt really slow climbing with it since every root seemed to break my momentum.

Ugh I'm so pissed. I'm really close to taking it back into work and just sticking it on the floor to get my money out of it.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member

Don't be discouraged

an EP purchase is never bad. You can always get your cash back out of it. Fortunately you grabbed a bike with a great frame geometry to use as a back up. I like to have a geared bike around just for 3 reasons:
    -24 hour races (optional, but I like to not handicapp my team)
    -Vacations in the big mountains where I cant ride an SS for a week of 4,000 foot climbs
    -The few times a year where a huge epic distance with road miles is necessary,tough to keep up with others.

IMO I would toss a 1speed rear wheel on there with a Melvin and run you a 3 speed if you just cant get into the gears, (I know that feeling) that way you are only shifting for the road and the biggest climbs, and its only 1 time to get to the best gear. Fire and forget- and enjoy the change of pace everyonce in a while. MTB'ing can be about experiencing different things on occasion, plust you appreciate the SS so much more when you get back on )

ATXSS

Witty McWitterson
    Keep in mind that it IS a new bike to you too. I've always had and adjustment period to go through before I really liked a bike. I hated my WTB for the first few rides. I won't sell it now. It's forever in my stable. Keep it around, ride it more, get more familiar with it. You'll like it in the end I'm sure.
    Just a regular guy.

Recovering couch patato
    Hmm, I'm always super happy the way my new bikes turn out. Maybe because I put so (too) much thought on them in advance.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

beer *****es n' bikes
    Good points there... I'm sure I'll keep it since my current SS suits me pretty well, good geometry and all but questionable frame quality (glued 4130 tubing... french... hmmm...). I just think its ironic that I prefer riding my $20 Peugeot over my $1630 retail Specialized. I guess when I am on the Pug I actually feel challenged? The Fox on the Specialized takes the fun/challenge out of riding for me... I'm glad I didn't go FS!

mtbr member
    Pick a gear selection on the new bike that's similar to what's on the Freedom bike, and then ride the new bike like an SS for a while. When the time comes that you want a gear, THEN shift, but lay off trying to shift constantly. It will all come back to you.

On the other hand, you could set up a private ebay auction and I could send you $300 for that lame fork. Don't be dazzled by it, it sucks. Really.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Or.....

You could just put some spacers and a singulator on it and save the cables and shifty things for when you have kids and need to pull a trailer....... Why worry? Sounds like a sweet single speed to me!

As far as that shock goes, I would feel dirty selling it for $300. I don't think I could sleep at night knowing I did that to someone. I think you should just give it to me and I will make sure to dispose of it properly.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Pick a gear selection on the new bike that's similar to what's on the Freedom bike, and then ride the new bike like an SS for a while. When the time comes that you want a gear, THEN shift, but lay off trying to shift constantly. It will all come back to you.

On the other hand, you could set up a private ebay auction and I could send you $300 for that lame fork. Don't be dazzled by it, it sucks. Really.

Its funny you should mention that, I found that when I was on the trail I shifted all of about twice, and was very annoyed by the gears, chainslap, and the stupid Dual Shift which is the slowest shifting system I think I have ever used. The bike just feels bulky and awkward, and its only like 1/2-1lbs lighter than my steel parts bin SS? I think I'll just sell it and get a road bike.

I see the parts vultures are circling the fork already...

mtbr member

Sloth means well, but...

I'm sure you couldn't ask him to dispose of that junker fork for absolutely no compensation. How could you live with yourself then, Seely? You and I both know that the right thing to do is to cut your losses, and pay someone to rid you of the vile, offensive unit. My services are available for $19.95. Isn't your conscience worth that much?

e-me.
    -Porkchop

try driving your car less

Eno

sell the shifters and stuff. ENO rear wheel (with V brakes) and you have a sick SS mtb for small money.
    Only boring people get bored.