excuse my while I lurk here..- Mtbr.com
    the good names are taken
    Mar 2004

excuse my while I lurk here..

I've been sitting on the SS forum, reading posts, telling myself I don't need yet another bike, but yet I can't stop from coming here. Ever since building a road fixie I can't help but to wonder how raw and fun a mountain bike singlespeed would be. I rarely use my geared road bike anymore...

I've found more and more lately I just drone around up and down hills in my 32x30 gear on the mountain bike anyway, so why not indulge? Well, except the fact that any non-bikers coming to my house/bike storage would think I'm crazy....

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Don't die wondering...
    Now with more vitriol!

Probably drunk right now

Get the Hell Out!

Quote Originally Posted by SpareTireScott
    I've been sitting on the SS forum, reading posts, telling myself I don't need yet another bike, but yet I can't stop from coming here. Ever since building a road fixie I can't help but to wonder how raw and fun a mountain bike singlespeed would be. I rarely use my geared road bike anymore...

I've found more and more lately I just drone around up and down hills in my 32x30 gear on the mountain bike anyway, so why not indulge? Well, except the fact that any non-bikers coming to my house/bike storage would think I'm crazy....
    Get out and ride. It's not a matter of "need", it's a matter of want. Get a SS, go ride. Repeat.

Have fun and let us know what you think.

Ken

mtbr member

If you want to...

If you want to put it to us, just fix a 29er. Since you already ride fixed it shouldn't be a problem.

the good names are taken
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    If you want to put it to us, just fix a 29er. Since you already ride fixed it shouldn't be a problem.
    I have yet to grasp the concept of how to unweight over bumps on the fixed... I suppose I'll get it eventually, but right now it's painful.. also, with fixed I can't take advantage of momentum as much?

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by SpareTireScott
    I have yet to grasp the concept of how to unweight over bumps on the fixed...
    Practice by raising yourself off of your seat slightly while spinning on smooth ground flat ground then progress to raising yourself up while going down a slope. Once you get comfortable doing this on the road apply the same technique to riding in the dirt. Always actively spin and you will have much more controll because you can use you quads to raise and lower yourself while spinning. If you let the pedals pull your feet around, you'll get thrashed. I often apply my front brake to scrub speed while pushing with my legs to float over rocks and bumps.

Needed Less ~ Did More

Go fixie!

Check out www.63xc.com for lots of off-road fixed-gear fun :-) Plenty of "how to" and set-up info.

Remember the fixies mantra: Calm down

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Members who have read this thread: 0