Evolution of a beater SS (Pron)- Mtbr.com
    brother on a mission

Evolution of a beater SS (Pron)

I first rode this bike as an early season commuter, so the left over salt would not hurt my road bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

brother on a mission
    Next it became my first single speed trail bike.

brother on a mission
    I had to modify the first trail build a bit to solve a problem with tossing the chain. That is a 20tooth sandwiched between two 24s.

brother on a mission
    I also had to modify the bike to deal with the onset of winter. I added an old backscratcher fender, and cut a 2-liter seltzer bottle and attached it tot he downtube as a front fender. The seltzer bottle worked great. A friend loaned me some old studded tires he made (farmer john's nephews with 100 studs per tire) to help with the traction.

brother on a mission
    Unfortunately the last time out on the trail, the 15 year old rear tire went through some hollow ice that formed where a stream crossed the trail. The result was a sidewall tear. It wen through what appeared to be two layers of hylon sidewall. It looked a lot worse before I stuck some barge cement on there to "add some support" to the sidewall and keep the tear from spreading.

brother on a mission

Great frame

This has been a great frame.

I first picked it up went I went away to college. Like most college bikes it spent most of its time haning on the wall in my room, or sprinting to class. I did not get it out on the trails much, because there were too many other things to do (I did not know what I was missing). After college I traveled around working a bit, and the scott got shelved in various garages and basements.

A little over four years ago, the scott got my young (26) but rapidly aging ass intersted in riding bikes again when I dusted it off and began riding some double track around the house I was living in. I was miserably out of shape and grad school was stressing me out.

The following sumer I converted it to a flat bar road bike, and by the end of the summer I picked up a brand new 27 speed roadie (only my second new bike purchase). When I moved closer to work the scott became my commuter, and helped me get into shape (along with training rides on the road bike) to do my first century.

Two years ago I built my first mountain bike from a garbage heap find to ride the Vermont 50. I got the trail riding bug, and the scott patiently awaited its next mission.

This past year, Singlespeedoutlaw.com, sheldonbrown.com, 32sixteen.com, 63xc.com, and a couple other sites I forgot about got me intereted in trying out single speeding. The Scott was dusted off once again,a nd you can see the results above. Now I am hooked on single speeding, and the scott is being replaced with a solo-one.

I am sure that there are a couple of more sides of cycling I could explore with this frame, and I look forward to what comes next. I could fix it fairly easily . . .

Happy riding
    gf

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Stories like this are beautiful, watching the evolution of a bike, especially a beater. All the builds and the wonderful moments in between.

Out spokin'

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    Stories like this are beautiful, watching the evolution of a bike, especially a beater. All the builds and the wonderful moments in between.
    The evolution of the bike, yes, but even moreso the evolution of its owner/rider. Great stuff and more to come in the years ahead, I'm sure.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Loved the pictures and story. I have gone through a similar process with my SS that started life as a MTB geary in 1998. It has seen several SS or near SS formats as I have experimented with SSing. And appropriately, the model name of my steel HT Brodie was the Evolution.

dirty hippy mountainbiker

Yes!!

Yes my man, THAT was some good PRON!

I got new parts for an old bike on the FedEx truck as we speak.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

brother on a mission
    Cheers to all.

As Sparticus suggests, I have changed nearly as much as the bike. My first road ride I could barely make it 20 miles, and this past year I did a hilly century in about 5 and half hours (a personal best). It is nice to be 30 and in the best shape of my life.

Happy Riding,
    GF