Everybody...this is Rita- Mtbr.com
    Fragile - must be Italian

Everybody...this is Rita

Say Hello to Rita, my first "true" singlespeed bike. My last singlespeed was an old Trek 8000 8-speed that was converted to an SS using a Rennen Rollenlager and some other leftover stuff. Needless to say, it was not the best for single-speeding (geometry was all wrong).

I hope the new bike treats me better.

Specs (mix of old and new stuff)...

Frame - Bianchi Rita SS 29'er
    Fork - Rock Shox Reba SL 29'er
    Brakes - Hayes Stroker Trail (white)
    Wheels - Hope Pro 2 SS hubs + Velocity Blunt rims (nice and F A T)
    Tires - Geax Saguaro 2.2 (r) + Panaracer Rampage 2.35 (f) -- also have a set of WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT's to try out
    Stem - Ritchey WCS 4Axis
    Bars - Answer Hyperlite carbon
    Post - Thomson
    Saddle - WTB Rocket V Ti
    Crankset - vintage Kooka forged w/Race Face bottom bb
    Headset - vintage Chris King
    Pedals - Ritchey (still work fine)
    Bell - custom ringtone

Thx...Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bike to have fun.
    Sweet, I have been contemplating getting a pair of Velocity Blunts for my single speed.

Seeing them on your Bianchi has convinced me, where's my x-mas list?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    she's gorgeous man. i am about to convert and have to deal with imperfection. but such is life!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grantheppes
    Sweet, I have been contemplating getting a pair of Velocity Blunts for my single speed.

Seeing them on your Bianchi has convinced me, where's my x-mas list?
    Don't do it! The Blunts kinda suck. Not quite strong enough, and they run a little small so they don't hold the tires as well.

Bike to have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Don't do it! The Blunts kinda suck. Not quite strong enough, and they run a little small so they don't hold the tires as well.
    Really, what would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grantheppes
    Really, what would you recommend?
    Just search the 29er forum. Rim topics are covered constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Is this opinion based on your personal experience? Or heresay?

I did the research too about the Blunts, and the majority of the people I talked to (or read about) really liked them. One website listed them as one of the 10 best products of 2007. There's only a few really negative posts about them...and then for some reason on MTBR things start to take on a life of their own. Based on a few negative posts, suddenly a product "sucks".

Do the research on any 29'er rim from DT, Mavic, Stans, etc...and you'll find plenty of negative ratings too. In fact, no product was a stand-out for quality, durability, etc.

The main reason I bought wheels with Velocity's is because I had a great experience with their VXC rims on my race bike and my roadie friends all swear by their Deep-V rims. I also know a few wheelbuilders that like the way Velocity's build up.

My *first* pick was Easton XC One 29'ers, but they were just too pricey ($700+) and I wanted a wider rim.

I've never had Hope hubs before. I hope these hold up well.

And FWIW - the tires mounted on these rims just like tires mount on my Easton Havocs -- "easy" (but not loose) -- and I've never had an issue with the Eastons. Oddly enough, the Panaracers required some extra muscle, and I was most fearful of them being loose.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Great looking ride.

Love the cranks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

nice!

Very very nice. Probably one of the nicest Bianchis I have seen. I too think the cranks make that bike! Love the looks of that. Probably handles just as nice too. Very well done! Now ride it like you hate it!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Say Hello to Rita, my first "true" singlespeed bike. My last singlespeed was an old Trek 8000 8-speed that was converted to an SS using a Rennen Rollenlager and some other leftover stuff. Needless to say, it was not the best for single-speeding (geometry was all wrong).

I hope the new bike treats me better.

Specs (mix of old and new stuff)...

Frame - Bianchi Rita SS 29'er
    Fork - Rock Shox Reba SL 29'er
    Brakes - Hayes Stroker Trail (white)
    Wheels - Hope Pro 2 SS hubs + Velocity Blunt rims (nice and F A T)
    Tires - Geax Saguaro 2.2 (r) + Panaracer Rampage 2.35 (f) -- also have a set of WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT's to try out
    Stem - Ritchey WCS 4Axis
    Bars - Answer Hyperlite carbon
    Post - Thomson
    Saddle - WTB Rocket V Ti
    Crankset - vintage Kooka forged w/Race Face bottom bb
    Headset - vintage Chris King
    Pedals - Ritchey (still work fine)
    Bell - custom ringtone

Thx...Doug

Hey Doug,
    Nice looking Rita. I too am building a mistress, I decided to a go little more "steeley" and went with a black Jabber (once you go black you never go back,right? ) Anyway, I went through my old parts bin and pulled out a set of TNT cranks that I used to race on, had a guy clean of the old faded anodized red and polish them up chrome, man they are purty. I will post up pics later. My long winded question is: is that a 32 or 34 Blackshire up front? I didn't look real hard, but I could only find a 34T - 5 arm - like yours.

She's not quite built yet, so I haven't tried the 34 yet, hopefully I won't regret the bigger gear up here in Preskitt

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    That is one fine lookin' lady! Very nice build, and again, the cranks look sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    Hey Doug,
    Nice looking Rita. I too am building a mistress, I decided to a go little more "steeley" and went with a black Jabber (once you go black you never go back,right? ) Anyway, I went through my old parts bin and pulled out a set of TNT cranks that I used to race on, had a guy clean of the old faded anodized red and polish them up chrome, man they are purty. I will post up pics later. My long winded question is: is that a 32 or 34 Blackshire up front? I didn't look real hard, but I could only find a 34T - 5 arm - like yours.

She's not quite built yet, so I haven't tried the 34 yet, hopefully I won't regret the bigger gear up here in Preskitt
    It's a 32t. I got it a few years ago at CBO for $5. Can't beat that.

Funny you mention the Jabberwocky. It was on my short list, as was the Niner One-9 and Sir-9. But when I saw this Rita frame, I thought it looked bad-ass and I just had to have it.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It's a 32t. I got it a few years ago at CBO for $5. Can't beat that.

Funny you mention the Jabberwocky. It was on my short list, as was the Niner One-9 and Sir-9. But when I saw this Rita frame, I thought it looked bad-ass and I just had to have it.

Thx...Doug
    Thats a smok'n deal on the 32. I was riding an alum 69er for the last year and wanted to try steel...don't think it will make a bit of difference on AZ trails

Hey, is that PMP or the McDowells in your background? Used to live at 32nd & Shea for years, traded it for the "majestic" rolling hills of Northern AZ!

Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    Thats a smok'n deal on the 32. I was riding an alum 69er for the last year and wanted to try steel...don't think it will make a bit of difference on AZ trails
    Definitely not. I rode a steel hardtail for 5 years before getting an aluminum hardtail in the late 90's. Contrary to what most people will tell you, I could detect absolutely no difference in "riding comfort" between the 2 materials (except that the steel frame was more "whippy" in the bottom bracket area). My back hurt on both.

The only way to smooth out any hardtail, especially in AZ, is to ride big fat baloon tires at a low psi. My other set of tires is WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55's, and they are HUGE. I plan on trying them at 25psi next.

Hey, is that PMP or the McDowells in your background? Used to live at 32nd & Shea for years, traded it for the "majestic" rolling hills of Northern AZ!
    PMP. I live at 24st and Mountain View. Small world.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Definitely not. I rode a steel hardtail for 5 years before getting an aluminum hardtail in the late 90's. Contrary to what most people will tell you, I could detect absolutely no difference in "riding comfort" between the 2 materials (except that the steel frame was more "whippy" in the bottom bracket area). My back hurt on both.

The only way to smooth out any hardtail, especially in AZ, is to ride big fat baloon tires at a low psi. My other set of tires is WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55's, and they are HUGE. I plan on trying them at 25psi next.

PMP. I live at 24st and Mountain View. Small world.

Thx...Doug

Haha - thats funny, you probably live next door to all my old riding buddies! I see your also a roadie, ever do the tues/thurs morning loop starting from 36th & Mtn View at 5:30am? When we started that in the mid-90's there was only 3 of us! It fluctuates between 8 & 20 riders now depending on time of year. I still hit it when I'm back in the valley once in a while.

The Fam & I are staying at the Pointe SP this weekend, riding T100 as much as I'm allowed Trying to get the mistress done to ride her. Your right, small world!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    See,I told ya you were welcome in both forums (29er/SS)

If I didn't stress it enuff there,really nice lookin Lady ya got there!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Bike to have fun.
    Is this opinion based on your personal experience? Or heresay?

I did the research too about the Blunts, and the majority of the people I talked to (or read about) really liked them. One website listed them as one of the 10 best products of 2007. There's only a few really negative posts about them...and then for some reason on MTBR things start to take on a life of their own. Based on a few negative posts, suddenly a product "sucks".

Do the research on any 29'er rim from DT, Mavic, Stans, etc...and you'll find plenty of negative ratings too. In fact, no product was a stand-out for quality, durability, etc.

The main reason I bought wheels with Velocity's is because I had a great experience with their VXC rims on my race bike and my roadie friends all swear by their Deep-V rims. I also know a few wheelbuilders that like the way Velocity's build up.

My *first* pick was Easton XC One 29'ers, but they were just too pricey ($700+) and I wanted a wider rim.

I've never had Hope hubs before. I hope these hold up well.

And FWIW - the tires mounted on these rims just like tires mount on my Easton Havocs -- "easy" (but not loose) -- and I've never had an issue with the Eastons. Oddly enough, the Panaracers required some extra muscle, and I was most fearful of them being loose.

Thx...Doug
    I only considered Velocity because I have laced up 3 pairs of Velocity Deep V's and hell, Velocity can make some damn good rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Lovely Rita! I'm gettin' a woodie, just lookin' at her! I really have to build a proper SS 29'er, from the frame up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That is nice bike. I like it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    like the bike. I was looking at them also. I am about 5 10 and was looking at the 17.5. Anyone advise on if this is a good size. I have about a 32 inseam.

Quote Originally Posted by bobba fett
    like the bike. I was looking at them also. I am about 5 10 and was looking at the 17.5. Anyone advise on if this is a good size. I have about a 32 inseam.
    You can probably get by with either a 17.5 or 19.5 with your inseam, depending if you like your frame small or big. I'm 5'7" with a 30.5" inseam. The standover as I measured it (tip of the saddle) is about 29", which is somewhat less than what is advertised on Bianchi's website. I'm not exactly sure where they measure standover on a frame (I assume it's the tip of the saddle)...so I don't know why my measurements are so different. The bike has 2.35 tires on it.

The effective top tube is about 23.25 cm, which would probably be too crowded for a person of your height. I am running a 100mm stem, which is perfect. Maybe you could get the 17.5 and run a 120mm stem...or the 19.5 with a 100mm stem.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Nice Rita, along with the Arizona landscape. I just got homesick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Teen Wolf
    nice ride! welcome to the bianchi family. my lewis and axis say hello!

jdf
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    reply to bobba fett who wrote-

like the bike. I was looking at them also. I am about 5 10 and was looking at the 17.5. Anyone advise on if this is a good size. I have about a 32 inseam

i am 5' 11" 32 inseam and ride a 19.5....here is a pic-

p.s. - nice ride dgangi
    mc pix 1127 - 112908 055.jpg

organically fed
    that's hawt.

nice ride! Love the candy red.

Members who have read this thread: 0