Ever break a cog?- Mtbr.com
    WillWorkForTrail

Ever break a cog?

Seriously though. Over 900 miles on this bike, 300 on this cog, it's not a chain line problem. I straight up broke a cog on a ride the other day. Anyone have it happen to them?

PS: not talking about the brand of cog yet. I'm contacting the manufacturer to see if there's a problem with it, or what. I'll update as I know more. Just thought...breaking a cog...weird.

mtbr member
    I broke a tooth off one like 5 years ago. Suspect a rock was involved. I think I might still have it around somewhere.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    I havenít but I have a buddy who has. If I remember right he sheared a tooth or 2 off a Chris king cog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Pusher Man
    I got about 5500 miles on Surly cogs, never broke one.

I have 8500 miles on my Niner Ti cog....still looks virtually new.

I have seen some Al cogs break teeth.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    I swapped cogs the other day and noticed I had 2 teeth broken off my 19t Endless cog. Only about 250 miles on it

Downcountry AF
    Was it a steel or aluminum cog?

No, I've never broken a cog. I spent the first few years on a White Industries freewheel so only really have 2 years on cog/freehub setup. Currently using Endless on 2 bikes, and Surly on 2 others.

Going forward I plan on using a stainless cog on the primary bikes. I'd also like to put the WI freewheel back in service. I liked that setup.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Not me. Interested at least in the material if you won't share the manufacturer. Steel, Ti, or AL?

mtbr member
    mine was an aluminum endless. I have worn out several others since with same chainline and not had any problems, pretty sure it was an act of god that broke it.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

WillWorkForTrail
    Steel cog. Best guess is it folded under pressure as I was moving up a rock shelf. Pedals locked, pitched me forward and the bike and I landed on top of the series of step ups. I didn't figure out what had happened until I went to get back on the bike. 4 teeth on an 18 tooth cog were pulled out of alignment, and one of the radials (the cog is machined for weight) centered under those teeth had cracked. Myself and the person behind me are both pretty certain it didn't hit anything when the bike landed because it was mostly on top of me. I'm pretty confused about it, frankly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Steel cog. Best guess is it folded under pressure as I was moving up a rock shelf. Pedals locked, pitched me forward and the bike and I landed on top of the series of step ups. I didn't figure out what had happened until I went to get back on the bike. 4 teeth on an 18 tooth cog were pulled out of alignment, and one of the radials (the cog is machined for weight) centered under those teeth had cracked. Myself and the person behind me are both pretty certain it didn't hit anything when the bike landed because it was mostly on top of me. I'm pretty confused about it, frankly.
    Stuff happens. I'm still not sure how that can happen unless the chainline is way out or the chain/cog got torqued sideways during the fall. See if the manufacturer (WT or King I assume) will do anything for you, and if not, move on. Cogs aren't that expensive.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Stuff happens. I'm still not sure how that can happen unless the chainline is way out or the chain/cog got torqued sideways during the fall. See if the manufacturer (WT or King I assume) will do anything for you, and if not, move on. Cogs aren't that expensive.
    My suspicion, if nothing is wrong with the cog, is that the frame flexed and that's what caused the chain line come off and fold the cog. I've already purchased another cog. I haven't said the MF name and won't, not because I'm going after them, but because I'm going to see if they want this cog to examine it. It would be in their best interest if they knew if something was wrong with a run of cogs. If they decide to send me another one, that's completely beside the point in my mind. The point of the thread and the question was how common is this?

Rod
    mtbr member
    I've never had it happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Iíve broken a couple of chains, but no cogs...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    Iíve broken a couple of chains, but no cogs...
    Same here

mtbr member
    Iíve broken a Niner aluminum, and a buddy recently broke a WT aluminum. Those were on MTBs. I recently decided to try an Origin 8 Torq Lite steel cog on on my SS CX bike because it has a wide base and itís cheap. Iíd highly *not* recommend it. Not only is it crazy out-of-round, but the cog is so thin it must be flexing and Iíve dropped my chain several times. Chainline adjusted. Never happened with the surly or king that preceded it. Anyway, sorry for wandering off-topic

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    Iíve broken a Niner aluminum, and a buddy recently broke a WT aluminum. Those were on MTBs. I recently decided to try an Origin 8 Torq Lite steel cog on on my SS CX bike because it has a wide base and itís cheap. Iíd highly *not* recommend it. Not only is it crazy out-of-round, but the cog is so thin it must be flexing and Iíve dropped my chain several times. Chainline adjusted. Never happened with the surly or king that preceded it. Anyway, sorry for wandering off-topic
    No worries. It's all good information. I had a torq-lite cog on my SS for a couple years, and it wore down so much it started breaking chains, so I switched it out. I suppose what it means is if you buy something cheap, the quality control can be hit or miss. You can buy at least 3 of the torq-lites for what some of the "higher-end" (endless, WT, ETC) stuff costs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I've broken teeth off 2 Endless cogs. First one got replaced free, after the second one broke I gave up and went to a WTB SS cog. 3.5 teeth off the first one and 1.5 off the second one.
    I loved the Endless for the bling factor but they just didn't hold up for me.

Running a no-name Al oval chainring and a KMC 710 chain. Chain still measures fine for stretch.

psycho cyclo addict
    Never.

I use CK cogs primarily and a few Surly's.

I've seen others bend the heck out of cheapy steel ones, bend them back while on the trail and finish a ride with no walk of shame.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

WillWorkForTrail
    For those interested: The manufacturer took a look at the pictures I sent, and responded that I had an older, first run of their cog. They have a newer design that prevents the sort of problem I've had, and are sending me a new cog, even though my old one failed well outside of their warranty period. To quote the person from the email: "This should never have happened, and I'm sorry you had to deal with it." Done, and done. Looks like I'll have a new cog to replace my replacement when it wears out.....

Rod
    mtbr member
    For those interested: The manufacturer took a look at the pictures I sent, and responded that I had an older, first run of their cog. They have a newer design that prevents the sort of problem I've had, and are sending me a new cog, even though my old one failed well outside of their warranty period. To quote the person from the email: "This should never have happened, and I'm sorry you had to deal with it." Done, and done. Looks like I'll have a new cog to replace my replacement when it wears out.....
    It's good to hear about companies standing behind their products. Now we need to know who's going to give us good customer service, just kidding. I applaud you for your effort not to blast someone on these forums, especially when it turned out like this in the end.

mtbr member
    Ripped a tooth off an aluminum cog. Never had any issued with steel/Surly cogs.

mtbr member
    Good to hear they are taking care of you. Personally, at this point, I think you should post who the manufacturer is, it's always good to hear about somebody taking care of their customers like this. WT

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    It's good to hear about companies standing behind their products. Now we need to know who's going to give us good customer service, just kidding. I applaud you for your effort not to blast someone on these forums, especially when it turned out like this in the end.
    Yeah. Even before I was a podcast host I tried not to just drop a company's name into a mud hole when something like this happened. Now, not even so much because of me as because of the network, I try to be even more careful. Don't think that means I won't call a turd a turd if it comes to that, but in this case, I was pretty sure something was up, just because this company has been soooo good in the past, about everything, including quality of products, etc. As I said, the part was well beyond their warranty period, so my contacting them was strictly to see if they wanted to check the part out. Sending me a replacement is really beyond my wildest expectations....

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Good to hear they are taking care of you. Personally, at this point, I think you should post who the manufacturer is, it's always good to hear about somebody taking care of their customers like this. WT
    I've been debating that. The reality is, most people that might have a problem with the same part I had have probably already had it, and odds are there aren't many people as.....heavy...as I am on this part, so probably not many people having the problem. I was still thinking in terms of "I don't want to start a rush of people contacting the company because they have one of their cogs" and want to know if it's the updated part, or what. Still, it does speak volumes for the attitude the company has toward their customers, and I think you're right, they deserve the public kudos for standing up like this. It'll come as no surprise to anyone who's done business with them though. It's Wolftooth.

Downcountry AF
    ^ Cool. I agree they make good products, but frankly shit happens and sometimes stuff brakes. (especially with SS and big guys that make a lot of power). I'm not put off by the story, in fact it's good to hear they took good care of you. If anything I'm more likely to purchase their products in the future.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Yeah. Even before I was a podcast host I tried not to just drop a company's name into a mud hole when something like this happened. Now, not even so much because of me as because of the network, I try to be even more careful. Don't think that means I won't call a turd a turd if it comes to that, but in this case, I was pretty sure something was up, just because this company has been soooo good in the past, about everything, including quality of products, etc. As I said, the part was well beyond their warranty period, so my contacting them was strictly to see if they wanted to check the part out. Sending me a replacement is really beyond my wildest expectations....

I've been debating that. The reality is, most people that might have a problem with the same part I had have probably already had it, and odds are there aren't many people as.....heavy...as I am on this part, so probably not many people having the problem. I was still thinking in terms of "I don't want to start a rush of people contacting the company because they have one of their cogs" and want to know if it's the updated part, or what. Still, it does speak volumes for the attitude the company has toward their customers, and I think you're right, they deserve the public kudos for standing up like this. It'll come as no surprise to anyone who's done business with them though. It's Wolftooth.
    I totally agree with your whole approach to this situation. Not throwing them under the bus from the get-go, offering the part back to them for inspection, and then following up here when they went above and beyond to take care of you. I can understand your hesitation with posting the manufacturer, but I really don't think there are thousands of people reading this thread that have Wolftooth cogs, I'm guessing it's not a huge volume item!

I actually really like reading threads like this, instead of the ones bashing companies for stuff breaking. I have a number of parts from Wolftooth already(and am very happy with them), and your experience will make me even more likely to buy stuff from them in the future. They make some very good and unique products, I especially like their Stainless steel chainrings and cogs.

mtbr member
    Two Surly cogs, 6ish years with thousands and thousands of miles, never had a problem or even much wear, I only buy Surly

Rod
    mtbr member
    I've never purchased a wolftooth product but this thread has put them above most competitors. I know they support their customers.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    After a 1 hour 10 minute hammerfest, this happened today. While not a cog, it is a steel Surly chain ring. It was a very steep switchback climb and it crumbled as I struggled to clear the top.

I believe the bolt must have backed out which allowed it to slip and then taco.

In 15 years of SS, this is a first. I had a 45 minute walk of shame to get out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Ive heard lots of sulry chain rings folding over like that, not their cogs however