Eriksen #241 (pic heavy)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Eriksen #241 (pic heavy)

Kent Eriksen whipped this up for me over the last month or so, (guy who founded Moots, sold it, and started from his roots in the original shop he started in back in the 80's. One of the pioneers of titanium frames).

Caa Caaaaaaaaaw Caa Caaaaaaaaaw Head badge with a viking like image that once was displayed on the sails of viking ships. (Kent is has some sort of history to the day of Leif Erickson............Which was his father's name as well.)

#241 of the bikes Kent's built since leaving Moots.

Free etching of the roman numeral 3 representing that I am a "3rd" hence my name. (trey means "3").

Slider dropouts. Don't they look cool!

Here's a shot of the down tube. This is the first 2" titanium tube on a mountain bike (Lightspeed did have the Owl Hollow that had a sheet that was rolled and seam welded that was close) OINK OINK!!!

Here's a shot to put it in perspective.

Side shot

Time to get to work!!!

BUILT!!!

I had to bogart the wheels and cranks/BB from the Truth because I'm waiting on the I9's and FSA cranks.

Ahhhhhhh the pretty welds

Breezer style sliders

More slider detail. I ordered some beefier bolts for the slider as I heard they were easier to tighten thus preventing any slipping.

More pretty welds........... just can't get enough.

Notice the additional braze on on the right seat stay? Thats for running a continous cable housing to a rear der for a 1X9 (maybe 2X9). Continous housing won't get muck in it and is easier to take on and off.
    Last edited by Treybiker; 04-01-2008 at 09:52 PM.

Out spokin'
    Waaaaaaaaaay freakin' nice, dude.

Is that a motard in the background? You into that? I've got an XR400, but it's got knobs.

Back to your Eriksen, WHOA! Those welds look too perfect to be human-made. Unbelievable.

Gimme that!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Yes, thats a supermoto. 2006 Husky 510 now for sale due to baby #2 on the way. It's my second. My first was a 2002 XR400 (426.......pic below), modded, street legal, and had every bit of engine work possible done on it. Best thing I ever did to a motorcycle.

Stay away from my Eriksen.

mtbr member
    Beautiful frame. We need a ride report.

Is that pink stuff on your garage door insulation? Does it help? My garage gets pretty damn cold during the winter and precludes me from working at times...

mtbr member
    Husky has to go, but new Erickson stays! Tough choice...

Bike is gorgeous! Kent is an artist.

Ever take the Husky/XR off road? or you just a SM guy?

mtbr member
    Wow,Wow,Wow! I like the bike, the garage setup, the welds on the bike, I like everything in those pictures. Nice going.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I'm in the que....

so I searched "Eriksen" and got you thread....VERY NICE!

is that the 50mm down tube?

I hope to have mine sooner than later - a geared 29er.
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardTail29er
    so I searched "Eriksen" and got you thread....VERY NICE!

is that the 50mm down tube?

I hope to have mine sooner than later - a geared 29er.
    Oh yes it is. You won't regret it. If you're having Kent use the 50mm DT, it's stiff as hell, and people will gawk at your bike non stop. I giggle when I ride because I can see both sides of the DT sticking out past the TT when i look down.

Harrumph
    You need some nice looking bolts for the sliders, it looks like you found some rando-bolts from the garage. Totally out of place on an otherwise perfect bike,
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Sweet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg
    You need some nice looking bolts for the sliders, it looks like you found some rando-bolts from the garage. Totally out of place on an otherwise perfect bike,
    Funny you say that. I thought the same thing. I took them and layed them against my polishing wheel, and it made an improvement. Paragon sells some Ti bolts that are supposed to be better, but without seeing them, I'm not going to blindly spend $20 for bolts. I'm into function over fashion, and the stock bolts will slip unless you tighten them so much that the shallow heads start to waddle out. My bike is all about function, but just happens to be a little fashion queen as well. Though a few people may see the bolts as I pass them on a climb, I'm not worried about how the bolts look.

likes beer
    everything in the garage iw sweet....EXCEPT that flag. Hideous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manida
    everything in the garage iw sweet....EXCEPT that flag. Hideous.
    Woah Pilgrim, them words ull git yer boots knocked off like Britney Spears on prom night. Ya better take'em back. *spit*

likes beer
    Go Sooners

Having a nice day!
    Quote Originally Posted by manida
    Go Sooners
    Figures

I met Trey at the trailhead and for beer/wings afterwards this past Tuesday. Pictures don't do this bike justice. It is just beautiful. Can't wait to see it with the new wheels when they get here.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by Treybiker
    Funny you say that. I thought the same thing. I took them and layed them against my polishing wheel, and it made an improvement. Paragon sells some Ti bolts that are supposed to be better, but without seeing them, I'm not going to blindly spend $20 for bolts. I'm into function over fashion, and the stock bolts will slip unless you tighten them so much that the shallow heads start to waddle out. My bike is all about function, but just happens to be a little fashion queen as well. Though a few people may see the bolts as I pass them on a climb, I'm not worried about how the bolts look.
    I agree 100%, I just don't have a bike that nice
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    how much for the garage with everything in it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MillhouseSkis
    how much for the garage with everything in it?
    The garage will be up for sale at the end of the month. $235,000 and comes with a free house. Seriously. We're looking at moving more in town (Atlanta).

Recovering Weight Weenie
    The first two inch downtube?

How is that measured? The downtube on my DeSalvo has a circumference of 5.5" and looks pretty close in size...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Measured the middle of the DT with calipers where is is perfectally round. It flares to about 2 3/8 at the BB (the BB shell extends 1/8 inch past the welds on either side of where the DT is welded). SWEET DeSalvo by the way. Always liked there "outside the box" style.

Last edited by Treybiker; 04-11-2008 at 07:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've got a Husaberg 650 supermoto gathering dust in my garage. I quit racing it when I had my first kid, thinking I would ride it on the street. Bikes like these are just plain made to break the law, and I get super frustrated trying to hold back.

You do a wheelie down the street, a rolling brakie, or a stair drop on your bicycle and no one bats an eye. Do it on a motorcycle and your explaining it to a judge.

Sweet bike! (both of them)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Damn!....the bike is beautiful enough, but those pics of that workbench, with all dem tools, is givin' me a woody. Sigh...I've got...garage envy. The coffee table in the living room of my 800sq ft condo is my 'garage'.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

still drooolin'!

MAN that thing is sweet.

Hopefully Kent has me near the front of the que. My co-worker has my Strong so I'm MTB-less andit is 80F outside! [SoCal]

I opted for the huge DT as well - but mine may not be as prominent since my frame is near the size of PADRE's and as such it has less of a contrast as yours. LOVE the shape of that thang!

I wonder why Kent has the air [ports] hole in the stay braces (am I correct in this - thats what those plastic plugs are in - right?)...My STRONGs did not need them.
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

mtbr member
    I noticed that. Carl probably drilled a hole in the chainstay where the stay brace goes and the vent at the end of the stays did the job. Just a guess.

Every time I ride, I appreciate more and more the stiffness of that DT. We rode a good solid 3 hours yesterday of nothing but switch back climbing and rocky descending, and the SS took every slow hard mash I gave it without a wince, and didn't bite too hard coming down (full rigid 26'er). Now if only my body could take the same abuse.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by KeylessChuck
    I've got a Husaberg 650 supermoto gathering dust in my garage. I quit racing it when I had my first kid, thinking I would ride it on the street. Bikes like these are just plain made to break the law, and I get super frustrated trying to hold back.

You do a wheelie down the street, a rolling brakie, or a stair drop on your bicycle and no one bats an eye. Do it on a motorcycle and your explaining it to a judge.

Sweet bike! (both of them)
    That's the truth.....when I was dating my now wife.....we use to go ride the twisties. She was the best passager......she would reach around put her hands on the tank during hand cornering as not to over stress my wrists and never use to fight me on the turns. Now five years later.....motorcycles are dangerous. I don't get it.

Getting back to the Eriksen......That's all I've been thinking about is getting a 2" DT coupled with Ventana rear suspension. Maybe later this year Nice frame for sure a work of art.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Trey, the second photo is brilliant. Excellent backlighting.

Shot Down in Flames...
    Trey, how's the knee?

D.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    Trey, how's the knee?

D.
    I rubbed a little Georgia red dirt on it and it was heEEELed.

I can walk up and almost down stairs normal, but I took a short spin today at lunch on the road bike and it feels a lot better since. I'm even going to do some "testing" at blankets tomorrow around 11am. Come on out.

FYI
    First spill on the new ride when my foot came up clipped while mashing up a little rocky switchback. I saw the bike headed towards a baby head, so I threw my knee in front of it. Knee smacked rock just under the knee cap, frame smacked knee right above knee cap. Whined like a little b!tch.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre

How is that measured? The downtube on my DeSalvo has a circumference of 5.5" and looks pretty close in size...
    Yeah, it doesn't detract anything from your ride, in my opinion, but it's certainly not the first 2" downtube. Dean has offered a 2" downtube for years (I know because I've aligned a number of them, and they're not easy-going - mate one with 1" stays and you've got an Abram's, not a bike), but usually doesn't use one because it doesn't offer much over a 1 3/4" or 1 1/2", aside from aesthetics. Plus a 2" tube can't be made any thinner than the slightly smaller pipes, so you just end up with a bunch more weight for not much gain in stiffness.

I'm just worried about the record. Again, it obviously doesn't detract from your frame. That's a pretty sweet ride.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    Yeah, it doesn't detract anything from your ride, in my opinion, but it's certainly not the first 2" downtube. Dean has offered a 2" downtube for years (I know because I've aligned a number of them, and they're not easy-going - mate one with 1" stays and you've got an Abram's, not a bike), but usually doesn't use one because it doesn't offer much over a 1 3/4" or 1 1/2", aside from aesthetics. Plus a 2" tube can't be made any thinner than the slightly smaller pipes, so you just end up with a bunch more weight for not much gain in stiffness.

I'm just worried about the record. Again, it obviously doesn't detract from your frame. That's a pretty sweet ride.
    I guess I am passing on bad info. I do know some (not sure about Dean), builders like Litespeed on the Owl Hollow, the 2 inch downtube was a rolled sheet that was seam welded. Not drawn. (I know I know, nit picky technical details............just for the record )

And I'm 6'1" 220 lbs, and ride a singlespeed on nothing but hilly technical terrain. I didn't want aluminum being I wanted something that I could still hammer on 5 years from now without having to worry about something cracking from fatigue. I'm not worried as much about frame weight as long as its decent, but will take every bit of stiffness someone can offer me, (thats what she said). The bike does it's job.

mtbr member
    Trey,

you mentioned something about new I9's...do you have any updated shots of your beauty? This may be the finest 29er SS Ti I have seen. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nkrax
    Trey,

you mentioned something about new I9's...do you have any updated shots of your beauty? This may be the finest 29er SS Ti I have seen. Thanks.
    AAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

29ER?!? That is the finest 26er SS Ti you have seen my friend. And yes, the I9's are mounted and rockin. It's parked in my office at the moment, and we're doing ride, wings, and beer after work, but I'll try and post a pic within the next couple of days.

29er........... HA!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treybiker
    That is the finest 26er SS Ti you have seen my friend.
    My B Trey. I have had nothing but 29er on the brain for the last week and didn't think as I was typing. However, it doesn't matter...29 or 26...it still holds.

mtbr member
    Kent makes absolutely beautiful bikes. If money were object and was building an all around bike for town and some trails it'd be an Eriksen frame w/ a Rholoff hub. Nice bike man!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

About those bolts....

Sweet ride bro.

Where'd you get those bolts anyway? My stock Paragon's are starting to get rounded out... Form follows function....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre

5.5" Circumference / Pi = 1.75" diameter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinrider
    Sweet ride bro.

Where'd you get those bolts anyway? My stock Paragon's are starting to get rounded out... Form follows function....
    You need 8x1.25 - 16mm length

Be careful, they're 39 cents each!

http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/metr...ric_allen.html

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    5.5" Circumference / Pi = 1.75" diameter.
    Haha...Thank you, Sensei!

Math not my strongsuit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nkrax
    Trey,

Whew! I finally got around to taking some pics of the "final" build, (wheels, cranks, etc). I added a 09 RLC 90 (soon to be given a frankenstein treatment and pushed), as I ride some pretty rocky trails and figured i was spending too much energy taking a beating.

Members who have read this thread: 0