Eric's eno?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Eric's eno?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Eric's eno?

White Industries Eric's Eccentric ENO Disc Hub is made to convert a mtb bike to a single speed, right? Has anybody done this? thanks

mtbr member

Absolutely no one

And by no one, I mean tons of people have done it.

I have not heard one bad thing about the ENO, but have never used one myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Corn
    And by no one, I mean tons of people have done it.

I have not heard one bad thing about the ENO, but have never used one myself.
    I used one and loved it. Stupid simple to set up.

mtbr member

just look...

Just look at my avatar.
    Any questions about setup, just PM me.

meh... whatever
    excellent hub.

crazy strong and super simple to use. slide the axle in the drops and use an open end wrench to rotate the hub and tension the chain. then tighten the axle bolts.

but if you wanted to save some dough you could just run a spacer kit/cog on your geared wheel with a half linked chain.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member

versatility

Quote Originally Posted by FullFaced Z
    White Industries Eric's Eccentric ENO Disc Hub is made to convert a mtb bike to a single speed, right? Has anybody done this? thanks
    It is a very vesatile hub.
    You can use it on a road bike (130mm spacing) or a mtb with the proper eccentric adapters. You can also make anything fixie, or you can run a straight axle to make it a standard ENO hub for horizontal drops. Its one of the best money savers in the long run. You like the frame you have now? With the ENO, you don't need to get a new frame.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    You can use it on a road bike (130mm spacing) or a mtb with the proper eccentric adapters.
    the eric's hub comes in 126, 130, and 135mm. since youre converting a mtb to ss get the 135mm since you wont be running a 26" wheel in a road frame. if youre running discs be sure to get the eccentric disc mount adapter as well or your caliper will not line up on the rotor correctly.
    Last edited by monogod; 03-19-2007 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

fs ssing with eric's eno

I was thinking about converting my fs frame to ss. It has a remote lock out for the rear shock so I thought this might help with climbing. The bike has just been sitting there since I started ssing so I thought even I could get a little use out of the bike it would be worth it. However I was wondering how the eno would work with a full suspension application. Would chain slack, when the suspension is compressed, make this conversion impossible. Thoughts? I am already aware of many ssers opinions about fs ssing so I am looking more for people's practical opipion of whether this is viable or not. thanks again

Known Mountainbiker
    Fullfaced kneepadded Z, I believe there are a some in our group, I know of one for sure. They are the shinizzle (if shinizzle means that they are good). The down side is the disc brake alignment but it's not like you'd adjust chain tension that often. The up side is the sealed bearings in the freewheel.

Talk to me on the Wednesnighter.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    been running one on a road fixed gear for over two years now. no trouble at all. no slipping, even when doing a lot of backpressure/skidding.

only slippage i ever had was during my initial setup. once i figured out i just needed to bolt it up a little tighter, no issues since then.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

meh... whatever
    I was thinking about converting my fs frame to ss. It has a remote lock out for the rear shock so I thought this might help with climbing. The bike has just been sitting there since I started ssing so I thought even I could get a little use out of the bike it would be worth it. However I was wondering how the eno would work with a full suspension application. Would chain slack, when the suspension is compressed, make this conversion impossible. Thoughts? I am already aware of many ssers opinions about fs ssing so I am looking more for people's practical opipion of whether this is viable or not. thanks again
    using a static length chain is NOT feasible for a fs ss. too much movement in the suspension which changes the effective chainstay length too radically to not use a tensioner. the melvin is the way to go running a fs ss because it keeps the chain under control much better than a simple dynamic tensioner such as a surly. do NOT try to run a static tensioner such as the soulcraft. you then have the same issue as you would with the eno.

who gives a crap if the "true" ss'ers dont think anything other than a rigid 2:1 isnt a "real" ss. run whats fun! you should see some of the frankenstein crap i build and ride!!!

but i digress... so rather than using the eno freewheel, simply buy a paul melvin tensioner and a cog/spacer kit. much, much cheaper and will keep the chain under control perfectly while giving EXCELLENT cog wrap. slap on the cog/spacer kit and melvin, shorten the chain a bit, and you have THE setup for running a fs ss. then you can bomb down the gnarly stuff without dropping your chain.

cazloco - white industries makes an eccentric brake caliper mount to go along with the eno hub to achieve perfect caliper/rotor alignment while using the eccentric eno.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the responses. They were very informative and thankfully lack purist singlespeeder posturing. I am looking forward to figuring this out and the possbility of combining my two favorite experiences of riding- fs and ss. I searched this forum for pictures of success stories but did not find any. Someone more fimiliar with this forum know of any links? thanks again fullfacedandkneepadded4ever- maybe

mtbr member

Trek y-33

Thanks for the responses. They were very informative and thankfully lack purist singlespeeder posturing. I am looking forward to figuring this out and the possbility of combining my two favorite experiences of riding- fs and ss. I searched this forum for pictures of success stories but did not find any. Someone more fimiliar with this forum know of any links? thanks again fullfacedandkneepadded4ever- maybe
    If I could get my hands on an old Trek Y bike, I'd ENO it. I saw a guy at the Fall Color Festival a couple of years back with a yellow Trek y-33, and it was ENO'd. Worked like a charm since it is a URT (unified rear triangle). Now that I am so far removed from full suspension frames, I don't know if there's any bike frame manufacturers out there that still make bike frames with a URT.

meh... whatever
    dunno of any pics on the forum, but i'll see if i can find some shots of my dawg deluxe with melvin. its disassembled at the moment so no new shots are possible.

if the bike is ridable currently it would take about 20 minutes to "degear" it, throw on the cog/spacer kit & melvin, take a couple links outta the chain, and then ride.

go to www.paulcomp.com and click on singlespeed then melvin to see it.

you can get a melvin and spacer kit from just about any internet bike outlet or your lbs.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I don't know if there's any bike frame manufacturers out there that still make bike frames with a URT.
    the kona a

it would defeat your purpose though since you want to eno it and the a has horizontal drops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've decided to get an ENO hub to convert my TST 26" MTB to fixed/ss.

For some reason my geared bikes keep becoming single gear bikes once I wear out the drivetrain components!

Members who have read this thread: 1