Ergonomic grips and singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Ergonomic grips and singlespeed

So I just converted my rigid 29er to singlespeed, but due to injury, I haven't been able to ride it, yet. I was shopping for new grips yesterday, and I almost purchased a pair of Specialized XC Contour grips. I ended up getting a pair of Lizard Skins North Shore grips, because I wasn't sure how well the "winged" grips would work on a singlespeed. I'm sure they would be very comfortable when seated, but given how critical the proper setup is, would they present any challenges when standing? Between cranking on the pedals and pumping the bike, I figure a normal, round grip would be better. Thoughts and/or experiences?

SSOD
    I've used several Ergon grips and liked them. One had the integrated bar end into it. Now that I'm back riding with a suspension fork I've gone back to my go to grips, esi chunkies, but when I was riding rigid the ergo grips I found very comfortable. When I was out of the saddle I generally griped the ends of the bar for better leverage. Even without bar ends, the ergon grips have a big surface for grabbing onto. I enjoyed that style of riding.

But with suspension, you lose all that leverage when out of the saddle and it's more efficient to hold the bars normally and do t rex pull ups when out of the saddle and climbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use specialized contour grips on my rigid SS and also on my dually. Haven't had any problems with climbing out of the saddle with them. I've found they are one of the few grips that stop my hands from aching in a short amount of time.

WillWorkForTrail
    Ergon grips on my SS both with suspension fork and without. No issues for me. Actually the bigger grip makes it easier for me to hold on to the bars without having to grip them so tightly with my oversized grub snatchers. I liked them so much I put Ergons on my FS bike too.

Deadrise & Derailleurs
    I'm also replacing the grips on my 26" MTB. My bike isn't a SS. I have been complaining about some slight hand numbness/tingling during my rides. My LBS recommended a ergonomic grip.
    ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

I'm not against using them, but am wondering if there are any cons to using them over traditional grips?
    Deadrise & Derailleurs

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This isn't really a "con" of ergonomic grips, but a lot of sore hands/wrists are caused by bad bike fits and some people use ergonomic grips to fix the problem. This may make your hands feel better, but you are still riding a bike that doesn't fit. I would make sure your bike fits well, and then you can pick whichever grips you like the best (ergonomic or traditional).

I'm not saying ergo grips are bad. Plenty of people that have good bike fits use them because they like them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm skeptical on the inability to wrap your fingers around the grips (which I assume would present issues on technical sections and pulling up on the bars for hobbing, jumping, and manualling) and the different hand position while standing. Since a big part of singlespeeding is standing, does positioning the grips while seated cause discomfort or awkwardness while standing?

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I'm skeptical on the inability to wrap your fingers around the grips (which I assume would present issues on technical sections and pulling up on the bars for hobbing, jumping, and manualling) and the different hand position while standing. Since a big part of singlespeeding is standing, does positioning the grips while seated cause discomfort or awkwardness while standing?
    If there is a con, you've sort of hit at it. If you have small hands, it CAN be awkward to hold onto Ergon's grips. For myself, I found it EASIER because they're LARGER. No downsides. They don't bother me standing up on my SS, they don't bother me on super long descents on my FS bike - they make the whole ride less fatiguing because they are easier to hold onto. Most grips are too small and I have to squeeze too tightly to maintain any sort of hold on them.

mtbr member
    They worked for me, You could analyze & debate for 3 pages but I'd just give them a try and see.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I tried a pair of Ergon grips back in 2007 and hated them for mountain biking, but the smaller wings on newer grips have intrigued me. I don't have any friends with them, and I don't have $30 to throw away, either. If you want to sent me a pair to try out, I'd appreciate it

mtbr member
    You won't know till you try them.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I would find out why your hands are tingling, fix that issue then choose grips.

If your hands tingle due to lack of blood flow, you could be holding on too tight. This can be made worse by encircling the entire grip with your fingers. Gripping strength comes from the palm and the first 1/3 of your fingers mainly, and holding tight with the finger tips where blood flow is already at a premium, squeezes that blood out-causing tingles or cramps. Sometimes the lack of bloodflow comes from too much padding, either from gloves, palm fat/muscle and/or grips- or a combo of the above. I had this issue and solved it by using gloves with no padding at all, but I still use ESI chunky grips.

If it is due to fit, and your wrists are bent when on the bike, this will cut blood flow on some folks due to the build of their wrist/veins/vessels. Try turning your brake levers downward a few MM at a time, and concentrate on a fit that keeps your elbow/forearm/wrist all in line to your first knuckles. A very common issue for moto guys too.

If all this checks out, ensure you are relaxed. Consciously remind yourself to relax your arms and hands starting at your shoulders. Wiggle your fingers a bit on flats. Remembering is the hardest part, kind of like breathing!

I liked ergo grips when I used them, but when I went away from them and to ESI grips, I realized I did not miss them and like the ESI's, even though the foam packs it in pretty quick and they get replaced about every 500 miles or so. Good luck on finding your solution and keep us posted!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    No tingling. Just wondering if the ergo grips feel weird when standing, since the angle is different between sitting and standing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    No tingling. Just wondering if the ergo grips feel weird when standing, since the angle is different between sitting and standing.
    I am huge fan of Ergon grips with Answer 20/20 bars. The sweep and the grip work together to provide comfort for both climbing and seated work. Also the ergon grips helped me overcome problems with hands going numb and also problems with hand fatigue in long events.

is buachail foighneach me
    The reason Ergon makes a more normally shaped grip specifically for technical terrain and more aggressive riding is that the paddles definitely inhibit grip with regards to manualing, hopping and jumping. You *can* do those with the paddle grips, but it's more difficult. I tried Ergons a few times, and another brand of similar paddle grips and they didn't suit my riding style. I like to hop too much. ESI chunkies on Answer 20/20 bars solved my numbness problems while still allowing me to easily, manually move the bike around under me both on the ground and in the air.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    a little different response.... I have the northshores and love them. super takcy, even after being used for a while. they are on my SS, but had ergo grips on my geared bike and had to change just because they weren't for me. grips are cheap enough that you can experiment and not break the bank. try them and see. some folks swear by them.

mtbr member
    I had Ergons on a couple of bikes and liked them, but as a couple of others have mentioned, they can be a bit harder to hold onto in technical situations. I never felt weird with the sitting/standing stuff, but almost lost hold of the bars a couple of times in really rocky/techy situations.

I have switched to ESI extra chunky, and find them even more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I was using ESi Chunkies, but recently switched to Ergons for endurance races. I get a little hand numbness after a couple hours in the saddle, and the Ergons seem to have solved that completely. I don't notice the "wings" when out of the saddle or riding technical stuff either. My only gripes are:

1. Weight. I'm a bit of a closet weight weenie though.
    2. Effective bar width. I got the ones with bar ends to have more hand positions for longer rides. They reduced the effective width of my bars and I bruise my hands trying to push them out wider all the time

I ride technical stuff most of the time. I'm ordering another set of Ergons without the bar ends and will probably just switch to the bar ends for long races. A wider bar isn't an option as I cut this one down in 5mm increments until I stopped clipping trees all the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Went from stock rubber grips to esi chunkies (no help) to ergon gx2 (thank you sweet Jesus!!). Definitely worth it IME.
    '09 Superfly SS
    '11 SE Stout SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I use Ergon GS1's on my rigid Sir9 and had ODI's before. I like having the paddle of the Ergon's and think it helps with hand fatigue especially on a rigid. Of course I'm not bombing through rock gardens on my rigid and go slower and pick my lines. On my TB and AM bike I prefer the ODI's because I'm going faster and plow through shit so wrapping fingers around a smaller grip keeps me connected. So I guess it depends on your trails and riding style. Try normal round grips and if your hands feel fine just stick with them.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn