epic rides near cities on East Coast?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

epic rides near cities on East Coast?

Where can you go on the East Coast of the US and get epic riding and be near to a relatively large city. Taking a weekend for some great riding but the wife, kid a nd a friend are coming along so we can hang out after the riding is done. So, I need a place withing a 5 hour drive from NJ that can keep the ladies busy while I ride.

I'm thinking I have to go North or South. West is good riding but not much out there in the way of big towns. Maybe VA has some good stuff or even up north towards Mass/Vermont? I'm not sure of what any of these states have to offer in terms of cities and shopping/outlet malls !!

And before you say it, no, the wife just does not ride so it's not an option to take her along, she hates it. That's why I substitute myself with her friend to keep her busy for hours while I ride.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by climbo
    Where can you go on the East Coast of the US and get epic riding and be near to a relatively large city.
    If you don't need to be close to a really large city I would suggest you look into North Conway NH. There's incredible riding in the Mt. Washington valley area, lots of outlet shopping, a small but walkable downtown area, plus there are tons of other tourist/family attractions you can check out. Radair over at the other forum can give you a lot of information about trails in the area. The Kingdom trails in Vermont are a little over an hour away too.

You have to time it right to get the best riding - later in the Summer going into Fall is best - after the trails have dried and after black fly season.

Later
    T

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Where can you go on the East Coast of the US and get epic riding and be near to a relatively large city. Taking a weekend for some great riding but the wife, kid a nd a friend are coming along so we can hang out after the riding is done. So, I need a place withing a 5 hour drive from NJ that can keep the ladies busy while I ride.

I'm thinking I have to go North or South. West is good riding but not much out there in the way of big towns. Maybe VA has some good stuff or even up north towards Mass/Vermont? I'm not sure of what any of these states have to offer in terms of cities and shopping/outlet malls !!

And before you say it, no, the wife just does not ride so it's not an option to take her along, she hates it. That's why I substitute myself with her friend to keep her busy for hours while I ride.

Cheers.
    You could head up to Mass and ride Viet Nam. Drop the wife off at "The Mall" as you pass through Providence. The providence mall is right off 95 and Nam is about an hour north of it. You could trade your bike for a crash pad and some climbing shoes and hit Lincoln Woods for some world class bouldering too...only 15 min from the mall.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member

Washington DC

I'd say we have at least 2-3 good rides (epic is such a relative term but it could apply,) at least more than enough to fill a weekend, within 1-2 hours from downtown. Shopping is superb if you're into that sort of thing, not to mention a massive plethora of free museums.

In the trail reviews section, check out Gambrill State Park and Frederick Watershed in Maryland and Elizabeth Furnace, Kennedy Peak, and Duncan Hollow in VA. All are within 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hour drive. Truly epic rides are had in the George Washington National Forest around Harrisonburg, about 2 1/2 hours away. Not to mention various suburban mountain bike parks/trail systems closer to the beltway, a couple of which are pretty nice.

For a weekend of dedicated riding on the East Coast though, I'd find it hard to beat the Kingdom Trails in Vermont. Freakin isolated, but Burlington is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Delaware and Raritan Trail canal along NJ/PA border?

this may not qualify as 'epic' but it could be a lot of fun for a family trip. the trail runs along the delaware and raritan canal. it's pretty well maintained and dotted with all these nice towns. lambertville and new hope in particular are good places for family types to hang out - lots of shopping, antique stores, art galleries/cafe's. there's also a gigantic flea market that occurs on weekends along the trail - you'd have to look up the schedule on that.

also, the way the trails are set up, it's relatively easy to set your trip up such that you can get dropped off with your bikes at either the south (trenton) or north (frenchtown) end and meet up with your driving family later. there's a pretty road that runs more or less parallel to the trail.
    since the trail runs along both sides of the delaware river, you can make a nice loop and not repeat yourself. although i would classify the trail as 'easy' for a rider with any experience, it's got a few quaint things along the way, including abandoned railway cars and tracks, an abandoned paper mill (next to a loonie asylum).

hope this helps

-p

http://www.trailsfromrails.com/delaw...itan_trail.htm

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

sounds good

gambrill and viet nam sound good, I'll read up on them, thanks for the tips, already done the delaware canal a few times, not exactly mountain biking though, I road my fixed gear on it.

Birdman aka JMJ

Climbo, long time no chat

Cheers.
    How about French Creek in PA? The ladies can go antique shopping while you ride. Not really epic, but a good ride nonetheless. I heard there was good riding near State College PA as well. Again, quaint town, not big city, but closer than Mass.

Regards - JMJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    How about French Creek in PA? The ladies can go antique shopping while you ride. Not really epic, but a good ride nonetheless. I heard there was good riding near State College PA as well. Again, quaint town, not big city, but closer than Mass.

Regards - JMJ
    Yes, State College has great riding, could be a nice option, visit some friends out there at the same time.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

how about an epic combo ride?

not singletrack but quite a ride anyways. The Delaware Canel towpath goes from Easton down to Washington's Crossing. The Raritan Canal (not 100 percent that's the name) does the same thing on the NJ side of the river. I used to ride thru the hills from Bethlehem, taking some dirt roads over the hills, get on the Delaware towpath, go south about 40 miles, cross over and come back north on the jersey side. I'd do it on a cross bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    State College is a fine town to visit, shoping is OK, plenty of food joints, and 90,000acres of trails 5 miles south of town with maps avail. from my shop. The town has loging frm budget to posh(well, people have told me about the posh end...), and is 3.5hrs from DC, 4.5 hrs from NYC, 3.5hrs from Pitt., and a nice place to relax. I live here and know the trails as well as any and can lead people around or just give routes to ride. If you have any questions feel free to email me or cal me at my shop (www.mtnittanywheelworks.com), I also put on the Single Speed Race on May 30th, a long week end and worth the travel. Let me know....Eric Roman

mtbr member

Hail to the King baby

These trails are supposed to be incredible. They were built by bikers for bikers solely. I'm not sure how far it is from Burlington, Manchester, Dover, etc. If you swing by NYC there are a ton of good trails 1 hour from NYC. Definately check out Trumbull, CT. It is awesome!

http://www.bikerag.com/vt_kingdom_trails_burke_pics.htm

http://www.a1trails.com/mtb/vt/kingdom.html