Envious gearies- Mtbr.com

Thread: Envious gearies

If you have to ask...

Envious gearies

At the 24 HITOP this year it was w wee bit damp and muddy. I saw a LOT of people on the side of the trails fixing broken chains, and you know what? They were all gearies. In fact, drivetrain issues were so prevalent that I heard many times from gearies as I passed that they really wished that they were on single speeds too.

I really do love my bike.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Sometimes it just works better

Yep, just rode an 8 hour MTB race on Sunday. Rained a heap, twisty singletrack course that seemed to have a disproportionate amount of uphill compared to the downhill sections.

Rode a 34x18, and our team cranked. 3rd in teams, ahead of over thirty other gearie teams. We impressed.

Actually, I think we had the advantage - in racing (with or without gears) MTB hurts. Whether you've got 27 or 1, you have to feel the burn .....
    Riding a bike is not a fashion show

Fixes are NOT fashion

the cool nerd

and the noise

How about the noise that their drivetrains made when the gearies shifted (intentionally or nonintentionally)..or even the peculiar pedaling style that many of them were exhibiting..forward two or three revolutions, and then backwards one-half revolution.

This was a great race for SSing...I was also told by many people that they wished that they had brought their singles.

scott

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    At the 24 HITOP this year it was w wee bit damp and muddy. I saw a LOT of people on the side of the trails fixing broken chains, and you know what? They were all gearies. In fact, drivetrain issues were so prevalent that I heard many times from gearies as I passed that they really wished that they were on single speeds too.

I really do love my bike.

miles
    I can only imagine what that mix of soil & water did to a geared drivetrain, I bet the shops are doing a brisk business in replacement drivetrains this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Makes me think of my first car, a 1953 Chevy. It was sooo simple and easy to work on---in fact, you could stand next to the engine inside the frame. And it had no electric options to break down. Simplicity can be so good. My current car goes to the shop for electronic VADIS diagnosis every time.