Entry Level SS 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Listen! Entry Level SS 29er?

I poster this in the 29er forum but didn't get any takers, maybe you guys could help me out... My question is pretty simple, which would you recommend, the Nashbar SS 29er at $400 or Gravity G29 at $350? I plan to start with a SS as a cheap way to get into 29er's and if I grow tired of being a SS hipster I'd like to upgrade to 1x9 which both of these bikes will accommodate and potentially a front shock at some point.

Nashbar SS / Gravity G29

SPECS
    FRAME: 6061 Aluminum / 6061 Aluminum
    FORK: Cro-mo / Cro-mo
    HEADSET: Cane Creek VP-A41AC / CaneCreek VP-A42E
    CRANKSET: FSA V-Drive Megaexo 32T / TRUVATIV E400 33T
    BOTTOM BRACKET: FSA External Bearing / TruVativ BB-07-POWER SPLINE (ISIS)
    HANDLEBAR: Alloy 31.8mm / 6061 31.8mm
    CASSETTE: 18T / 18T
    BRAKES: Tektro IO Mechanical Disc / Tektro Novela
    WHEELSET: Alex DM-18 / WTB SPEED DISC 29X32H
    TIRES: WTB Nanoraptor 2.1" / WTB PROWLER SL RACE 2.1"
    CHAIN: KMC / KMC
    WEIGHT: 28lbs / 28.6lbs

GEOMETRY
    SEAT TUBE: 21" / 21"
    ESTIMATED TOP TUBE: 24.25" / 25.32
    HEAD TUBE ANGLE: 72 / 69.8
    SEAT TUBE ANGLE: 73 / 72
    B.B. HEIGHT: 11.9" / 12.28"
    CHAINSTAY: 17.7" / 17.52"

It seems that the Nashbar has better street cred (2 on a scale of 10, instead of 1 that the Gravity gets) since it's a de-badged 2008 SE Stout and the crankset and brakes seem to be better. The G29 has the same geometry as the Trek / Fisher G2 which I know I like so that's alluring. I'm just not sure about the Nashbar geometry, it has a slightly shorter top tube w/ steeper HTA than I was hoping for. That being said I'm coming from a 1999 Trek 6000 and I'm sure either of these bikes are going to be a welcome change. Riding will be 90% XC & single track, 10% sidewalk surfing.
    Last edited by Ufdah; 10-26-2012 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Between the two I would probably go with the Gravity, just because you know you like the frame geometry. Its easy to fix the brake / crankset deficiencies via upgrade. It seems others in this forum have had good luck with the Gravity as well.

That being said, I would see what I could find on craigslist/ebay before buying either of these bikes. It's not uncommon to find mid level bikes (surly karate monkey, redline monocog, kona unit, etc...) around this price point.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think the nashbar is the same as the SE Stout. I rode one for about 18mo and put over 3500 miles on it and it never failed on me. Was my first SS build. Not the lightest or prettiest out there, but it gets the job done and you'll have fun doing it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My riding buddy just got a Gary Fisher Rig for $400 off of CL. Bike might as well be new, not a single problem with it. Probably worth a look if you're wanting a SS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have the Gravity G29 and love it. Had it for over a month now and havent had any issues. The tensioners are pretty much junk though. I took them off and havent replaced them with anything and havent had an issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    my first ss29er was an se stout. i now own a el mariachi so it doesnt get much use but it has served me well and I havent been able to bring myself to sell it. I see some pop up on craigslist occasionally for around your price point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    After a ton of research I would have bought a Gravity, if they had them in stock earlier this year when I was shopping. I just ended up building a On-One Inbred (for much more money).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you haven't already, read through the G29 thread in this sub forum.

I bought one, took it on some XC / trail stuff in CO this summer, and have turned it into a downtown commuter for fall / winter, and I love it.

It's been great with a few simple upgrades which I've posted in that thread. Also note that you may be able to score one a bit cheaper off bikeisland.com, which sells models that have some light damage (IE frame paint chipped, seat torn, etc).

mtbr member
    Check out this thread on the Nashbar, 16+ pages of positive reviews. It's a great rig for the money:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/n...ke-611987.html

I think there is a similar thread for the Gravity? Not sure...

Anyway, I rode the Nashbar for ~2years before upgrading. It's solid, and I am a big guy, and wasn't gentle with it.

FWIW, based on your comparo above:
    Nashbar Crankset and BB is nicer.
    Brakes are basically a push - the Nashbar has the Tektro Io's if I recall correctly
    Wheelset is nicer (by a little) on the Gravity - Nashbar has the Alex DM-18 rims

If you ride 90% XC and 10% pave, I am not sure you really need such a slack HT angle as the Gravity provides.

Finally, and I agree this is not fair, but at least with the Nashbar you are getting the frame of a 2008 SE Stout, with no badges. So people can wonder what it is. With the Gravity, everyone knows it's Bikes Direct. And fair or not, that influences perception and resale value.

FWIW, I was able to resell my Nashbar for pretty much what I bought it for.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Appreciating the feedback! I've actually read the entirety of the Nashbar and Gravity threads two times already. I'm starting to lean toward the Nashbar because it seems that the geometry on the G29 isn't as advertised (see here) and it's actually very close to the Nashbar. I think I'd rather have the better crankset and upgrade rims if needed.

It feels like the forum has drifted to the G29 because it's the new kid on the block but maybe not because it's better? I know this is very subjective, it's just the feeling that I get after reading through everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    either bike seems to be good. I think u'd be happy with either one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey101 View Post
    After a ton of research I would have bought a Gravity, if they had them in stock earlier this year when I was shopping. I just ended up building a On-One Inbred (for much more money).
    I went from a stout (upgraded as far as I could go and only got it to about 24-25lbs) to an inbred earlier this year and love everything about the upgrade (21-22lbs now).

Members who have read this thread: 1