ENO SS Crank Users- Mtbr.com
    smell the saddle...

ENO SS Crank Users

It seems the White Industries ENO SS Cranks are becoming vintage and hard to find (Universal has had them out of stock for some time). I am starting to see used crank arms pop up on eBay and they are climbing up in price quickly (obvious since they are getting harder to find).

Reason I ask, I looking at upgrading a few parts on my Bianchi MUSS and have been leaning towards these cranks. So I would like to get some comments on the cranks (Ive read all the solid reviews elsewhere on mtbr). I am specifically looking at the 175mm length to replace some cheapo Race Face Ride XC cranks I have used for a few years (solid but on the cheap side). I have spent various amounts on upgrading chainrings over the years to water down the worth of the cranks. I use a ENO freewheel in the rear but may be looking at upgrading my wheelset to 650b (probably Hope SS hub laced to Stans ZTR). Also, Id be curious to the current ENO crank users to what type of JIS bottom brackets riders are running?

Thanks for any input. Just trying to warrant my coin before investing $150+ on a used set (not counting the JIS BB).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    New at Speedgoat for 149.
    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...t=32&brand=347
    I think there great cranks, I have three pair. You might even PM me on a set on black 175's. As far as BB's go, Shimano UN54's have treated me fine. Heavy but cheap.

mtbr member
    Rare? What? They're all over the place. Being that they're square taper, there are a dozen offerings you can select, from the low UN54 to the high Phil Wood or if you want to stick with WI throughout the drivetrain, get the WI hubs, WI's own BB in steel and if you're under 180lbs, titanium varieties. If you've read all the reviews on the ENO crankset I can't add any more, the topic's been expanded on for years on end here on MTBR. A full White Industries suite is classic as a full Paul Components or Phil Wood & Co. suite is, go for it.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    http://www.ernestolube.com/mtbr/cranks.html of course they are not hard to find.

Freezer
    You can buy them directly from White Industries. I have a pair with a Phil Wood BB and they're great.

mtbr member

un54's have worked for me

i built my surly 1x1 on a budget and my eno's were one of the things i splurged on and i am glad i did. i went with the un54 because i was approaching the end of my build and my money and have been happy.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    http://www.ernestolube.com/mtbr/cranks.html of course they are not hard to find.
    Ernesto, you sell that 38T chanring in black?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Who do people still want to ride internal bb cranksets in 2010? Not nearly as stiff as an external bb crankset. Otherwise guys riding in the WC would ride the old XTR cranksets! Just trying to understand the logic here....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic
    Who do people still want to ride internal bb cranksets in 2010? Not nearly as stiff as an external bb crankset. Otherwise guys riding in the WC would ride the old XTR cranksets! Just trying to understand the logic here....
    They look cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    I can check if we have that one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    Yes, 38t in black are available

mtbr member
    Adjustable Q-factor and slightly more adjustable chainline, wide variety of bottom bracket options and chainring bolt patterns/lockring systems. Square taper has been around a long time. It's a proven technology.

Guys riding in the WC ride what their sponsors give them and tell them to ride. I've run XT external cranks and don't feel any difference in stiffness from my ENO's and Middleburns. That said, I'm not a pro rider of any sort and I'm definitely not a clyde, so perhaps my judgment isn't the best when it comes to BB/crankset stiffness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    'cause they work just fine, last forever, they're light and pretty inexpensive if you can find them on sale. My race bike does have an external bearing crankset on it and it does feel stiffer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Plus it's hard to find 180mm external bearing cranksets, and with that length, we can get the last bit of flex out of square taper. You realize that gears might actually help more than a little bit of flex, right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I don't want gears. Or flex.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I don't want gears. Or flex.
    Have you considered a spin bike?

All setups will have compromise. I have external bb's on other bikes, and they never seem to last. The square taper Phil Wood on my SS with the ENO's works great, spins smooth and the bearings hold up through more abuse than my external setups. If I were racing, I'd probably consider the Hive cranks, that's a nice, solid interface, but I prefer the looks of the ENO's and have had good support from WI, so don't feel the need to change.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Is this a plot to try and justify selling used ones on ebay for more money...ponzi scheme?

Seriously worth every penny.

mtbr member
    I'm hijacking. I have an eno crank and the ring is getting a bit worn, I was wondering if its possible to flip the chainring over and use the backsides of the teeth.... I suppose I could just pull my crank and try it out, but I figure its easier to just ask.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay
    I'm hijacking. I have an eno crank and the ring is getting a bit worn, I was wondering if its possible to flip the chainring over and use the backsides of the teeth.... I suppose I could just pull my crank and try it out, but I figure its easier to just ask.
    Assuming you have the lockring tool, flipping is all good.

That's one downside to ENO cranks though, having to pull the crank arm to replace/flip your chainring. The rings don't last that long (for me anyway) and I don't like the idea of pulling my square taper cranks off any more than necessary. That's why I switched to Middleburn RS-8's with the 5-bolt spider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amishscum
    That's one downside to ENO cranks though, having to pull the crank arm to replace/flip your chainring.
    That's why I asked rather than just trying it. Mine is wearing pretty quickly too. Its got noticeable wear on it after less than a year of riding. What do you think, should I flip it now or wait a bit longer. I haven't had any skipping and am using a KMC BMX chain with a boone ti cog. There is just a tiny bit of wear on the boone cog, but I'd rather not ruin it trying to get an extra month or two out of my chainring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just flip it and order an ISAR ring

mtbr member
    Hard to say. When you see significant shark-toothing like that, sometimes the chain won't fit properly on a new or flipped chainring. It just depends on how worn the chain is. I've had luck flipping the chainring and using the same chain, and I've had times where flipping meant I had to use a new chain.

I guess you could break the chain and wrap it the other way on the ring to see if it will work. If not, just ride the ring till it dies, then replace the ring and your chain at the same time. I think the Boone cog will be ok no matter what you do. I've been using the same Surly cogs for 2 years now through several chains and chainrings with no ill effects.

Members who have read this thread: 0