eno hub vs SS Specific frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

eno hub vs SS Specific frame

I want to build a higher end SS. Am I better off using whatever connections I have to get the best & lightest frame I can, and going with an eno hub (and the hanger on there of course), or I am better served getting a SS specific Ti frame? I'm not really clear if the eno is an end all be all solution, or a good solution for those looking to make a conversion.

mtbr member

it is...

Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb
    I want to build a higher end SS. Am I better off using whatever connections I have to get the best & lightest frame I can, and going with an eno hub (and the hanger on there of course), or I am better served getting a SS specific Ti frame? I'm not really clear if the eno is an end all be all solution, or a good solution for those looking to make a conversion.
    The ENO is "a good solution for those looking to make a conversion"
    And for me, I am clear ii is an end all be all solution. I use them, I like them, and I can practically see any hardtail, road bike, crosser, etc, as a single speed. Give ENO a try, if you have questions, PM-me here in mtbr.

Big Drops
    Nov 2004
    If on a titanium budget, I would favor a frame with an ebb or horizontal drops over the eno hub. Personally, I found the continued slight slippage of the eccentric hub and loss of chain tension to be irritating and not too trustworthy. Of course, if there is a viable solution to preventing the adjustment from slipping - other than filing away the drops or torquing the bolts to the point of stripping the threads - the hub wouldn't be a bad option. It's a great looking piece of hardware, lightweight, and the price is reasonable when compared to other high end hubs.
    Huck Maestro

mtbr member

Sounds familiar...

I had the same debate about six months ago. I chose to go with the SS specific Ti frame with standard BB shell and horizontal drops. I am using V-brakes, but if you are going to use discs or might in the future think about the EBB with vert drops.

mtbr member

Sounds familiar...

I had the same debate about six months ago. I chose to go with the SS specific Ti frame with standard BB shell and horizontal drops. I am using V-brakes, but if you are going to use discs or might in the future think about the EBB with vert drops.

mtbr member
    Question... prob for Ernesto...

Would it be better to have the eccentric portion of th hub below the axel in order to keep the tension on the top of the chain from pulling on it and potentially slacking the chain?

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb
    I went ENO. I couldnt justify/afford a ti SS frame. You can find a used ti frame for such a good deal, get an ENO with the ENO freewheel, and you are good to go.

If you can afford a new frame, then dont go ENO.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

Have you...

Quote Originally Posted by Solo, with others
    Question... prob for Ernesto...

Would it be better to have the eccentric portion of th hub below the axel in order to keep the tension on the top of the chain from pulling on it and potentially slacking the chain?
    Have you done it where you let the weight of the frame tension the ENO for you?
    I'll have to do a website for you guys so you can see how I set up my ENO, kinda like when I made the one on how to take it apart.

mtbr member

where to get an ENO wheel built?

where's the best place to get one of things set up? Webcyclery? for $240 with MAvic 717's seems like the way to go......but the pricetag - ouch!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I've run an ENO eccentric hub with horizontal drops (1x1) for a couple of months and had no slippage or loss of chain tension. YMMV
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

zeebot
    I've put 600 miles now on my ENO rear SS bike(road) and have never even had to touch it once. I have never had any slippage. I'm totally sold on the ENO and would definitely just get a regular geared frame or even a SS specific vertical drop frame but made for ENO. I like it that much. It's much simpler than the EBB and doesn't mess with your saddle position or require the regular cleaning. The ENO freewheel is very nice and a must have if you go with the eno hub.

Like Ernesto said, you just stick it in the dropouts and let the weight of the bike tension the frame. Tighten the non-drive side some, tighten the drive side some, finish tightening the non-drive and then lock down the drive side. I didn't use a ton of torque and have had zero issues.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by disco
    where's the best place to get one of things set up? Webcyclery? for $240 with MAvic 717's seems like the way to go......but the pricetag - ouch!
    I used Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com. My roadie ENO setup with eno hub + dt swiss 1.1r, double buttle spokes and brass nipples including shipping to my door that was OVERNIGHT was about 200 dollars. Mike is awesome. give him a call. i've had all my wheels done by him and all have been perfect.

No Justice = No Peace

Symetrical wheels are easy

Quote Originally Posted by disco

I built my own wheels. On a flip flop hub, the spokes are all equal length, so it was pretty easy. Read up on the web abd give it a go. You can get your local LBS to true it and get the tension right after a ride or two, if neccessary,......
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Want to vent?

Eno!!!

Yep big props to the ENO hub....I think if i had the cash at the time...ECC BB Ti frame ...hell yeah...but i went with building my own ENO wheel and using my old geared Ti frame....absolutely no slippage....and i used to crank those tensioners out all the time

BTW, got hub and spokes from Webcyclery

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"