ENO Hub Questions...- Mtbr.com
    you go ahead
    Feb 2005

ENO Hub Questions...

I've decided to build up a gearie frame ('95 Marin Pine Mountain) as an SS
    (see this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=106031)

I don't like the idea of a tensioner like the Singleator dangling off the dropouts, so I was looking into the ENO eccentric hub. I'm a newbie to the SS world though, and I don't exactly understand how it works.

If I used the ENO hub, would I still need the gusset kit? Or could I use a freewheel?
    What spokes/rims would be a good match for the hub? ( I don't kow much about wheels either )
    And finally, could I use an Eccentric Bottom Bracket to solve this same problem, and just stick in the Gusset kit in the rear? Or do you need an SS frame for the EBB?

thanks for any help
    rustyb

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    I don't exactly understand how it works.
    You adjust the chain tension by turning the hub on the axel. Very simple really and needs to be seen to be believed.

If I used the ENO hub, would I still need the gusset kit? Or could I use a freewheel?
    Just a freewheel. I use a BMX cog and it's fine although I go though a few of them per year.

What spokes/rims would be a good match for the hub?
    I sewed my ENO to a Mavic 819 rim which I really like

And finally, could I use an Eccentric Bottom Bracket to solve this same problem, and just stick in the Gusset kit in the rear? Or do you need an SS frame for the EBB?
    You'll want a chainrig, a chain and a way to tension the chain (hub or Singulator-type thing).

I went cheap for starters (singulator), upgraded to an ENO hub, then finally bought a SS specific frame (horiz drops, no EBB) EBB's are a preference, I prefer the simplicity of horix drops.

Find a knowledgable LBS to help you out. It they know anything about SS they can convert you for cheap to get you hooked and then you'll get upgraditis like the rest of us.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

No Justice = No Peace

ENO Fan here

THe chain tension is al taken care of with the ENO hub. No daglers or eccentric BB needed. Spin on a freewheel and ride.

I laced mine to the original rim on my Bontrager to keep the authentic look, but soon realized that a stiffer wheel would be an asset. I'm currently relacing the hub with some Mavic tubeless rims (32 Holes)

couldn't be happier....
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member

ENO usefulness

Don't be confused. ENO is a remedy for those of us who happen to have vert drop bike frames and are too lazy to spend the money on a new frame.

ENO solves it all, but it takes a couple of rides to figure out ENO.

ENO can be used as a fixie hub, or as a freewheeled hub.

ENO works with the weight of the frame, and the stainless parts keep the nuts/bolts sooper tight on the drops.

ENO can also be tensioned with a small wrench. Once you have the bike on ENO and there's some chain sag when the frame's weight is on it, simply slide a wrench on the drive side and pull back until you see tension, then tighten n' stuff.

My ENOs have never let me down. They're by far the next best thing since buttered wonderbread.

Drawbacks? have a wheel pro build your rear wheel.

mtbr member

Got mine at Webcyclery

Mavic 717, DT spokes and the ENO. Been loving it, but Ernesto is right - it took a little time to get used to how to tension it.

mtbr member

You may not need any tensioning device

I have a Pine Mountain from the late 90's that works well with 32x18 gearing because of the chainstay length. Just make sure your chainline is perfect and the chain length is right and slide the wheel into the vertical drops. Of course you could also go 36x18 with the same tension, or use a halflink chain and go 34x18 or 32x16, etc...
    This would save you a lot of money and time if it works on your bike.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by schnapmaster
    I have a Pine Mountain from the late 90's that works well with 32x18 gearing because of the chainstay length. Just make sure your chainline is perfect and the chain length is right and slide the wheel into the vertical drops. Of course you could also go 36x18 with the same tension, or use a halflink chain and go 34x18 or 32x16, etc...
    This would save you a lot of money and time if it works on your bike.
    Yeah, I've heard that about the Pine Mountain frames... I'll certainly check that before blowing $250 on a wheel.

Anyone know where I can double check this?

rustyb
    ...thanks for the responses.