ENO hub question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

ENO hub question

I couldn't find mention of this while searching... I am thinking about using an ENO eccentric hub for a single speed conversion. The frame I would like to use has post mounts for the rear brake, so using the WI eccentric brake adapter is out. Rear brake will be either Hope Evo X2 or Shimano XT (M785). Is there any reason this won't work? I figure I can shim the rotor into position with a few washers if necessary. Thoughts? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

mtbr member
    No shimming of the rotor is going to help if the positioning of the hub for optimal chain tension places the rotor too far or too "in" the caliper. From personal experience, you really do need the brake adaptor for the system to work properly, unless you are really lucky.

Hopefully Ernesto chimes in...

nothing to see here
    I think fastev means shim/washer the caliper. There is always both a high and low position for optimal tension with the ENO eccentric hub. In most cases the higher position is preferable, so that should just require some washers between the post mounts and the caliper.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    I think fastev means shim/washer the caliper. There is always both a high and low position for optimal tension with the ENO eccentric hub. In most cases the higher position is preferable, so that should just require some washers between the post mounts and the caliper.
    Sorry, yes, I meant caliper. A few too many Pliny's the other night...

That's what I was hoping for. How much do these hubs offset? I can't imagine it's more than about a 1/2"? Worst cast I can machine a small adjustable spacer. Thanks for the input!

nothing to see here
    1/2" sounds about right, but keep in mind that it will move that amount in an arc from front to rear. May also cause issues depending on where your post mount sits relative to the axle. I think you could make it work though. I had an ENO hub, but gave the wheel away as it wasn't a disc version.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Provided you position the hub correctly so the disc is higher than normal, you should be able to shim the caliper without too much issue.

mtbr member
    I need to see a picture of this gettup... What bad mechanic said.
    But still need to see a pic.

Members who have read this thread: 0