ENO hub or chain tensioner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

ENO hub or chain tensioner

I'm going to convert my hardtail to a SS. Should I use a chain tensioner, or should I spend some more $ and get a new rear wheel w/ an ENO hub? I really don't know much about either method, so I would appreciate any advice you have. Thanks.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm My vote is for...

The chain tensioner (and you may not even need one if you can get the 'perfect' chain length). Although, the ENO hub is really cool, I prefer a more universal wheel that I can move from one bike to another (one with or without gears). Point in case, last week I had a problem getting the tire on my wife's SS (using Stan's) to hold air. Because we were riding in the morning and I didn't have that much time to reseat the tire. I replaced it with a different rear wheels and only had to move the cog.

Quote Originally Posted by thegood
    I'm going to convert my hardtail to a SS. Should I use a chain tensioner, or should I spend some more $ and get a new rear wheel w/ an ENO hub? I really don't know much about either method, so I would appreciate any advice you have. Thanks.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

mtbr member

Use ENO

Quote Originally Posted by thegood
    http://www.whiteind.com/eno.htm. Usong one of these will save you a lot of angst. They're very, very cool. Double threads for your freewheel of fixed riding pleasure....keep in mind that White Ind also makes the best of all the freewheels too.

I have ENO on every bike, which gives me a wide range of choices for getting another hard tail mtb frame. I could also put my ENO'd road wheel on any road frame out there. It rocks, and it WILL save you lots of angst!

E

"Mr. Britannica"

the issues

tensioner- chain coming off
    eno hub- removing the fw (looks like a major pain)

If you are going to be changing gears frequently, I'd say tensioner.

mtbr member

not a pain

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    tensioner- chain coming off
    eno hub- removing the fw (looks like a major pain)

If you are going to be changing gears frequently, I'd say tensioner.
    looks like a pain, but it isn't. Follow this link: http://www.adventurefind.com/eno_untamed.html
    It's not much of a pain then a tensioner that would drive you insane.

mtbr member

Geometry?

It seems that adjusting the ENO hub affect the bike's geometry...does it make a noticeable difference?

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I like your handle and avatar.

I'll second the ENO. I've got one and it works like a charm. You've got to factor asthetics and noise in. The ENO looks clean and the bike doesn't make a sound, especially if you're rigid. It shouldn't effect geometry too much, but definitely wheelbase. Not significantly though. And you can kina play with the number of links to make it longer or shorter - I think. I just set my behind the dropout and don't know for sure that if I took out a link I'd be able to shorten the wheelbase. Others with more experience should chime in on this. Net net though, I was sold on the clean look and the "why didn't I think of that" design. S