mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Eno Freewheel tension solution?

I currently use a singlelator on my SS but am considering an Eno freewheel that comes in different number of cogs/teeth. In combination with a right size cog freewheel and a "half-link" chain, I am hoping I can get rid of the external tensioner out of the equation. Has anyone have a successful experience with this? tks
    Last edited by elee325; 08-16-2007 at 07:09 PM.

I always bleed like this.
    I would do a search for the magic ratio, it is a technique to match the chain length, chainring and cog so that you don't need a tensioner.

CB2
    Jam Econo

That's what I did with this one. 44 1/2 link chain, and I filed the fronts of the dropouts so I could adjust the tension just enough for the life of a chain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Eno freewheel with half-link

Yeah, I think I will risk it by ordering the White Ind. Eno Freewheel (16-tooth) with a "half-link" chain link and give it a try. If it is not the right ratio, I will get the WI eccentric hub and build a rear wheel. Off the subject, I am very impressed with WI's customer service. I emailed them with a hub problem and a rep called me within an hour to correct the issue. Not like Marzocchi who has ignored my 7 emails and 3 phone calls. tks folks for your replies....

mtbr member
    May 2006

mtbr member
    You'll get it close enough with the half link. However, the tighter the chain tension, the less slack (play) you'll have in the cranks. Once the chain starts to stretch you'll start experiencing that.

The ENO is the way to go otherwise, but hang on to the half link. The only drawback to the ENO is that it can slightly change your geometry depending on where the axel sits in the rear dropout. If it's pointing you up you can correct it with a half link. Luckly mine points straight back, so no need. (It can raise or lower the rear end due to it being concentric which will alter your head angle which affects handeling). Nitpick, yes, but just wanted you to know.

mtbr member
    I had the same problem and went with the eccentric hub and never looked back. True that it can change your geometry but I have used this to my advantage.

I have two gear setups, road and dirt. For the road I roll the eccentric down and it steepens my HT angle giving the bike a racer feel. For the dirt I roll it up and it slackens HT angle enough to feel more comfortable on decents.

You need Paul Motolites or the Eccentric disc brake adapter for this hub, but it is totally worth it.
    SingletrackMind

mtbr member
    ...which reminds me. I have to pick up an ENO wheelset from the bike shop. Original ENO was laced to a road Velocity rim (matching front of course). My original ENO is 4 years old. Bearings are still in smooth shape. That poor hub's been abused.
    Has gone through many bike frames, and now, it waits to be put on my VooDoo rada once again. The previous rims were so trashed. I rode the previous wheels all over, and the last abuse came last year when I rode the Chequamegon race with that ENO and the red Velocities. It was all good then. New rims will make it good-er again.

Yes, ENO is worth the price. It saves you many headaches.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBiDrive
    You need Paul Motolites or the Eccentric disc brake adapter for this hub, but it is totally worth it.
    If you have a disc only frame, obviously you need the disc ENO Ecc. But who needs Paul Motolites?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

SS Guru!

Quote Originally Posted by robcycle

Rob,

If you are responsible for this Master Degree dissertation, you are officially designated as a SS Guru. Tks alot for a such insight...

Members who have read this thread: 0