eno freewheel questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

eno freewheel questions

are they worth the extra $$$
    also, changing the freewheel on my ENO eccentric hub is always a nuckle busting *****. would a thin spacer help? any tips?
    thanks

mtbr member
    they sure are!
    show us pictures of the ENO hub on your frame...

holding back the darkness
    Yes. They are worth the extra money. They are the best. There are currently no other freewheels that exceed them in quality.

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    Yes they are worth it. They are a bargain when paired with Surly or Phil hubs when compared KIngs, Hope, Dt etc. They function just as well.

Remove the stainless axle end and then remove the freewheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    picture on the frame??.....not sure why. now your making me work......picture this - cannondale F29'er with black eno disc hub. speaking of picture's, ernesto's rocks, brings back sweet memories of the old days.
    so is there an easy way to remove? tell me your tricks boys and girls

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by markgoldsmith
    so is there an easy way to remove? tell me your tricks boys and girls
    For me it took a very large, heavy vice and every ounce of strength in me (admittedly not a lot @ 156 pounds)

I think I might be an anomaly with regard to the fan club- don't get me wrong, I like mine but I don't think the quality in machining is the super duper people espouse.
    (also consider I've only owned one)

When I flip my bike over and give the wheel a couple of cranks up to speed, I can actually see the chain tense and un-tense by a few mm. Leads me to suspect the freewheel isn't completely round. Possibly a bad batch ?

My $20 ACS doesn't do this.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

achiever
    I went through an ACS Claws in a little more than a month. No seals = no good in the wetness that is New England.

No problems with the ENO in the 4 months of winter slop I've been riding in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    For me it took a very large, heavy vice and every ounce of strength in me (admittedly not a lot @ 156 pounds)

I think I might be an anomaly with regard to the fan club- don't get me wrong, I like mine but I don't think the quality in machining is the super duper people espouse.
    (also consider I've only owned one)

When I flip my bike over and give the wheel a couple of cranks up to speed, I can actually see the chain tense and un-tense by a few mm. Leads me to suspect the freewheel isn't completely round. Possibly a bad batch ?

My $20 ACS doesn't do this.
    Ah! I missread the first post. You got to remove the freewheel by using the proper tool. I'll snap some pics tomorrow on how I do it on mine.

Tight vs tense = not all chainrings are made perfectly round - all my bikes do that.

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Tight vs tense = not all chainrings are made perfectly round - all my bikes do that.
    but the chainring and crank aren't turning during this test- after I spin up the back wheel, I hold the crank arm (essentially coasting). While the back wheel is spinning I can see the chain tighten and un-tighten- which to me means the freewheel isn't centered to the hub. I'll try to make a video to show you what I mean. check back mañana

Falls off a lot
    Worth every penny, I went through 2 ACS freewheels in one UK winter, bought an ENO 2½ years ago and never had a problem. A large smear of copperslip on the threads before you put it on the hub helps when you come to remove it.

To remove it from the ENO hub, I remove the 6mm bolt and axle, put the freewheel tool in the vice and rotate the wheel around the vice, using the wheel as the lever. Sometimes helps if you bolt the freewheel tool to the hub with another 6mm bolt and a few washers, remember to keep loosening the bolt as the hub comes off.

MONKEYMAN
    okay. here we go:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IgUaLgl20yA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IgUaLgl20yA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

one chain loop
    its either hub body is bent or freewheel body is out of round.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    its either hub body is bent or freewheel body is out of round.
    I don't think it's the hub -- When I put the cheapo ACS claw on this doesn't happen. Also when the FW was on my ENO hub it would do the same thing.

one chain loop
    then its clearly a WI freewheel flaw.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Absolutely worth it....my surly 1x1 sounded horrible with an acs claws.....with the eno its like butter. I absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone. Get one.
    Cannondale Caffeine 2 29er
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er
    Fuji RC Team
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Blk Mrkt Mob

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

We the people ...

okay. here we go:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IgUaLgl20yA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IgUaLgl20yA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    If the tooth count on that freewheel is 18-20, I'll gladly trade you my 20t ACS straight up. I'll even pay the shipping each way.

Kicker of Elves
    I don't think it's the hub -- When I put the cheapo ACS claw on this doesn't happen. Also when the FW was on my ENO hub it would do the same thing.
    My ACS DOES do this, so did a Shimano. I have this problem on all of my bikes, two of which have cassette bodies. I was hoping an ENO would be the fix....

nothing to see here
    Admittedly it is not the most desireable aspect of freewheels, but the eccentricity shown in that particular freewheel is not likely to give any problems.

edit: FWIW, my old ACS was much worse than that.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    Admittedly it is not the most desireable aspect of freewheels, but the eccentricity shown in that particular freewheel is not likely to give any problems.
    I totally agree, and you're right- it hasn't presented much of a problem at all.

My point in posting is that the reputation and price these FW's have suggests a very high level of quality. I wouldn't expect to see a flaw like this in a FW that retails for $80-$90.

OP asked if "They're worth it"- I shared my experience. I'll buy another one sometime in the future but if it's got the same problem it will be my last.

nothing to see here
    I totally agree, and you're right- it hasn't presented much of a problem at all.

My point in posting is that the reputation and price these FW's have suggests a very high level of quality. I wouldn't expect to see a flaw like this in a FW that retails for $80-$90.

OP asked if "They're worth it"- I shared my experience. I'll buy another one sometime in the future but if it's got the same problem it will be my last.
    Good point regarding the quality expected for the price, and I agree 100%. The WI trials freewheel/Phil Wood/ENO/Paul hub combo is on my list of upgrades when my current hub gives up the game. I'd be majorly p!ssed if it had a similar problem, as I've been fighting driveline eccentricity for freakin' years. It's my biggest dislike about single speeding.

I've currently got a Kona Unit with a wobbly freehub, and a crankset/chainring which is impossible to get properly round. I might also have to upgrade the crankset to a spiderless one like the WI ENO Crankset. $$$$$$$$$$$
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Turn off the TV
    They sure have a lot of drag. If you buy the tool to remove the freewheel it works great, $40.

mtbr member
    Grease the threads before putting the freewheel on. Loosely bolt your freewheel removal tool to the freewheel, then tighten the tool into a vise. Hold the rim and it works as a large torque lever to break the freewheel free.

My old boss who used to road race in the 70s always told me to bend a spoke and put that around the innermost thread, then to thread on the freewheel. He said that extra 1mm keeps the freewheel from locking onto the hub and made it easier for them to remove their 5-6spd freewheels when they'd change gearing every race.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    I would never recommend anything between the freewheel and hub - except anti-seize paste!

SS will really crank the FW in place. I put the FW tool on, back it up with hand-snugged axle nut, then a socket on a breakerbar with a 4-foot cheater pipe. Anything less and I don't even try to remove mine...

Tom P.

Members who have read this thread: 0