-arschloch-
    Apr 2004

ENO Eccentric Disc: When, where, how much?

Title says it all.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004

yeah yeah i am a little impatient so shoot me....

come on. someone has gotta have the scoop. Ernesto???

In case my first post wasn't clear, I would like to know:

1. When are the ENO eccentric disc hubs gonna hit the market? / When did you get yours?

2. Where are they gonna be for sale? / Where did you get yours?

3. How much are they gonna cost? / How much did yours cost?

Pretty-please!

mtbr member

Patience

Quote Originally Posted by chuffer
    come on. someone has gotta have the scoop. Ernesto???

In case my first post wasn't clear, I would like to know:

1. When are the ENO eccentric disc hubs gonna hit the market? / When did you get yours?

2. Where are they gonna be for sale? / Where did you get yours?

3. How much are they gonna cost? / How much did yours cost?

Pretty-please!
    http://www.whiteind.com/ENO_web/disc_e.html

1. available in 2005

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm just wondering what advantages a disc compatible eccentric hub really offers? The position of the disc moves when the eccentric is moved, so there is really only one position in which the the disc can be properly set up in relation to the caliper....

I'm not saying it cant work, but cog changes won't be easy, and you may have to do some monkeying wth your caliper mounts to make the disc line up correctly.

Sam

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    I'm just wondering what advantages a disc compatible eccentric hub really offers? The position of the disc moves when the eccentric is moved, so there is really only one position in which the the disc can be properly set up in relation to the caliper....

I'm not saying it cant work, but cog changes won't be easy, and you may have to do some monkeying wth your caliper mounts to make the disc line up correctly.

Sam
    EDIT: I read my reply to Kolo and I came off like a real d!ck. Sorry. Kolo, the white industries ENO eccentric disc hub is supposed to come with an eccentric caliper mount to eliminate the exact problem you quite correctly are worried.

ORIGINAL REPLY: I run one gear. No cog changes. Thus, I call my bike a single speed.

I want to have the option of turning my freeride-hardtail-geary into a freeride-hardtail-SS. I prefer discs for freeriding. Thus, I want a ENO eccentric disc hub.

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_with_the_long_azz_handle
    What a bunch of teases you guys are. Not even a photo on the site!

I am gonna be in the states from dec 10 until jan 10 and I was hoping to pick one up while I was home. Buying one here in germany will prolly cost twice as much and take twice as long. waaaahhhhmbulance please!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Sam
    The hub comes with an eccentric caliper mount so that the caliper can move in the same arc as the hub/rotor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Get it now

A friend of mine has had this hub for five months now. He tried it without the mount, used Avid disc brakes, and had to fiddle a bit with the brake to make it work when changing gears, but it works. The angle of the brake changes with different size washers are used in the brake mount.

It seems like a really good solution to a disk brake SS. No sliding drops, no ebb, just like a bolt-on. No slips and no problems.

He ordered directly from White Industries. Here is a secret if you cannot wait and already have a White Industries disc hub. Just order an ENO axle kit ($60). The hubs are all the same. I just converted an ENO eccentric to a regular hub because it was cheaper than building a new wheel.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    A friend of mine has had this hub for five months now.
    Do I have this right? Reading between the lines, you are saying your friend purchased the SS disc hub with the ENO axle kit.
    Last edited by Loudpawlz; 10-26-2004 at 08:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffer
    EDIT: I read my reply to Kolo and I came off like a real d!ck. Sorry. Kolo, the white industries ENO eccentric disc hub is supposed to come with an eccentric caliper mount to eliminate the exact problem you quite correctly are worried.

ORIGINAL REPLY: I run one gear. No cog changes. Thus, I call my bike a single speed.
    No worries, but thanks for the apology anyway. I realise a singlespeed means one gear, but it would be naive to believe people never try out different size cogs. Even simple things like summer/winter gear ratios I guess are quite common.

Eccentric disc mount sounds like a cool solution, just can't quite envisage it, any drawings/pics?

Where in Germany are you Chuffer?

Sam (in Prague, CZ)

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    A friend of mine has had this hub for five months now. He tried it without the mount, used Avid disc brakes, and had to fiddle a bit with the brake to make it work when changing gears, but it works. The angle of the brake changes with different size washers are used in the brake mount.

It seems like a really good solution to a disk brake SS. No sliding drops, no ebb, just like a bolt-on. No slips and no problems.

He ordered directly from White Industries. Here is a secret if you cannot wait and already have a White Industries disc hub. Just order an ENO axle kit ($60). The hubs are all the same. I just converted an ENO eccentric to a regular hub because it was cheaper than building a new wheel.
    So you are saying that all ENO hub bodies are all the same and all I have to do is swap an eccentric axel into an ENO disc hub?

The single speed hubs can't be the same as multigear hubs, because SS hubs have threads machined on for cogs and freewheels and geary hubs are a different width arent they?
    Muuwahahahaha. If you are correct, my master plan is beginning to take shape....

No worries, but thanks for the apology anyway. I realise a singlespeed means one gear, but it would be naive to believe people never try out different size cogs. Even simple things like summer/winter gear ratios I guess are quite common.

Eccentric disc mount sounds like a cool solution, just can't quite envisage it, any drawings/pics?

Where in Germany are you Chuffer?

Sam (in Prague, CZ)
    Sam, glad you didn't take offense, I certainly didnt mean it to be offensive. i was just being a goof. Sometimes people take stuff the wrong way.

Hollywood posted a picture of the eccentric disc mount in Ernesto's InterBike thread I think.

EDIT: Here is the thread

and the pic:

Btw, I am in Düsseldorf - pretty damned far from the Czech Republic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Here is what I am saying (more clearly)

My friend called WI several months ago and directly ordered a ENO eccentric disk hub. The eccentric mounts were not ready yet, but they still sold him the hub. He knew he was taking a chance, but had nothing to lose at that point. At worst, he just had to wait for the brake mount to be ready.

I recently converted a Redline cross bike to SS using an ENO eccentric hub. Shortly after that, I purchased a Spot cross bike. I was originally going to purchase new eccentric exle ends as the Spot is 135 MM and the Redline is 130 MM, but after speaking with a very knowledgeable person at WI, I purchased a whole new axle with regular ends (no need for eccentric with a Spot). It appears that the SS hub bodies are all the same with interchangeable axles.

Pretty cool, huh?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    My friend called WI several months ago and directly ordered a ENO eccentric disk hub. The eccentric mounts were not ready yet, but they still sold him the hub. He knew he was taking a chance, but had nothing to lose at that point. At worst, he just had to wait for the brake mount to be ready.
    Actually, you can make your own eccentric caliper mount. Any post mount caliper can be shimmed and spaced to accommodate the rotor with the eccentric axle in 1/2 of the positions, and if you go to a 180 rotor, you can get the other half. The Avid CPS cup/cone washers are ideal for this. Did a similar thing with my DIY eccentric axle.

The WI caliper mounts are much nicer & easier to adjust.

Cheers,

Tom

mtbr member

just wait

Ya'll just wait!
    I will have an eccentric ENO disc wheel built as soon as the hub comes in. Next up I will slap on the wheel and adapter to a brand spankin' new Gunnar Rock Hound (with disc tabs) frame to hold it all together.

My current Gunnar Rock Hound needs a new paint job. A little rust here and there, something a new sandblastin' and a fresh powdercoat (+framesaver) will cure. The frame is only 2 years old, and I am so happy with it...and yes, It will be the ENO frame for the Eric's Eccentric ENO, and rigid. I am going to move the Rock Shox to the new frame to also use a disc hub wheel on front...

By the spring, at the latest, my ENO setup will be complete. My Surly Pacer will be fixed with White Ind. track parts and the ENO eccentric. You just wait!