ENO eccentric brake mount- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

ENO eccentric brake mount

Any WI ENO eccentric hub users out there also using the eccentric brake mount? Can you post a pic.? I am considering going with a WI ENO and freewheel and wonder if anyone can tell me their experience with the brake mount. I assume that I can just use the frame mount and adjust the caliper each time I add.subtract teeth on the freewheel, but if the mount works well it seems worth it.
    Thanks,
    Barry

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    Its not an issue with the teeth on the freewheel. The reason for the brake mount adapter is you are changing the position of the disc brake in relation to the drop-outs when you correctly tension the chain. Since the brake mount is made to hold the caliper in a specific position in relation to where the axle would typically go (typically straight through the drip-outs), and now you are moving the axle to a position that is not straight through the drop-outs, you need to move the caliper position to match where the disc rotor now will be.
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i tried it for awhile until the set screws striped out. it thought it was a pain to adjust. now i just use a stock disc mount (my avids came with a few diff. mount hts.) get it close then micro adjust disc calip. with added/removed washers. seems to work great

Out spokin'
    WI makes two ENO hubs, an eccentric and a standard. The brake adapter is intended to be used with the eccentric ENO only, because that hub allows the axle-to-caliper distance to vary.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info., everyone.

DParks--makes total sense. I wasn't thinking of it that way exactly, but I now see the mount moving in the same ellipse as the axle when tensioning the chain in my mind much more clearly.
    M--stripped out screws don't make anyone happy. I plan on running Avids, so maybe I'll just play with it and see how close I can get it. $60 bucks of aggravation doesn't seem worth it.

Barry

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Acero853
    Any WI ENO eccentric hub users out there also using the eccentric brake mount? Can you post a pic.? I am considering going with a WI ENO and freewheel and wonder if anyone can tell me their experience with the brake mount. I assume that I can just use the frame mount and adjust the caliper each time I add.subtract teeth on the freewheel, but if the mount works well it seems worth it.
    Thanks,
    Barry
    YMMV, but I haven't had to adjust mine inbetween gear changes.... it's been close enough for the only 2 cog sizes I use.

Don't over tighten the set screws, and they won't strip out. It's a 2mm (I believe) - doesn't require much torque. They are replacable. Standard size for the tension screws on V-brakes.

Don't forget to buy the Eccentric hub Freewheel Removal tool.

Great setup overall.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Forkboy. Good to hear from someone with positive experience with the adapter.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Acero853
    Thanks, Forkboy. Good to hear from someone with positive experience with the adapter.
    Yep - It took about 15min to get it set up initially, and I had to readjust it once in 18 months. The set screws are really pretty redundant anyways - whey you tighten the frame-to-adapter bolts, it puts enough pressure on the plates that it won't move around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...80&postcount=5

The eno disc brake adapter does not work well on every frame. I use a front adapter and some spacers I got from mcmaster to get things lined up.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Awesome, tedsti. I love the ingenuity of the set-up and it's good to know that something else will work.
    I appreciate the link to the photo as well.
    Barry

Members who have read this thread: 0