Eno cranks vs. XTR 960- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Eno cranks vs. XTR 960

First off, RD at SHAWNEE TRAIL BIKE AND PERFORMANCE COATINGS has been SUPER helpful with my inquiries about their modified xtr 960 setups.

I got all the info I needed from him as well as pricing. I had been planning on doing the WI Eno cranks and square BB. Well it appears there is little price diff between the Enos and the 960s from Shawnee. It sure seems like the XTRs are a nicer setup but I have no experience with either. I have every intention to go the Shawnee Trail route but I always like asking for last minute direction/confirmation.

Anyone weigh-in?

AZ
    banned
    Ceramic coated XTR .

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm in the same boat (sort-of). I have some Middleburns that I love, square taper and single ring set-up similar to Whites. Then I scored some M960s cheap on Ebay which I plan to chop and polish. Not really relevant here but I'm running a 1x9, and using the XTRs means that if I fancy it I can fit a granny ring (although it just occurred to me you can get double ring set-ups for both White and Middleburn). XTR rocks.

Peace & Love
    no comparison, at all. My 960s dominate the ENOs and Middleburn I have had. Other than trying to "fit in" with the "core" high school dropout singlespeeders in their cutoff jean shorts, there is NO reason to consider ENO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    no comparison, at all. My 960s dominate the ENOs and Middleburn I have had. Other than trying to "fit in" with the "core" high school dropout singlespeeders in their cutoff jean shorts, there is NO reason to consider ENO

This is the response I was fishing for. Right on cue.

mtbr member
    I really really don't like the big companies like Shimano but there's a reason square taper is no more. Go with the Shawnees...

aka baycat
    I am biased since White Industries is close to me. But I dig the all black White Industries ENO paired with their bottom bracket is buttery smooth.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by donmeredith74
    I really really don't like the big companies like Shimano but there's a reason square taper is no more. Go with the Shawnees...
    yeah, good point...screw "the man"!

mtbr member
    Doesn't the ENO have a pretty narrow Q-factor

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I have both....and raced on both....

I cannot for the life of me tell the diff between the 2.....EXCEPT....you will be replacing the outboard bearings on the M960's about 100 times more than a Phil square taper BB...

my .02
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I like the look of the 960 way better and think it must be stiffer but having ridden both and I can not tell the difference. One HUGE difference... I go through bottom brackets like toilet paper... all of them are crap with one exception... Phil Wood. Though a bit heavy, it is very superior to everything else out there so I vote for the White.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

mtbr member
    Anyone know the weight dif?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by donmeredith74
    ...SNIP... there's a reason square taper is no more ...SNIP...
    And why is that?

I suppose replacing the outboard bearings on a too regular basis on the newer stuff is just so much fun it's not considered a disadvantage.

I'll stick to my square tapers thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    Anyone know the weight dif?
    FWIW, I just recently weighed my square taper XTR 180mm crankset & an XTR M952 180mm crankset both with their respective 113mm BBs & the weight difference was ~20 grams in favor of the M952. That's just the arms & spider (for the M952) plus BB.

WWs rejoice! That's a huge weight savings! Unbelievably almost an ounce! Hallelujah!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

THe bottom bracket is the key...

Quite inaccurate...

The bottom bracket in my experience is far more important than the crank arms and for that reason, I do like the square taper because I have yet to use a bb that is close to the duarbilitiy and overall performance of Phil Wood's bb.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by azultoyou
    Quite inaccurate...

The bottom bracket in my experience is far more important than the crank arms and for that reason, I do like the square taper because I have yet to use a bb that is close to the duarbilitiy and overall performance of Phil Wood's bb.
    you, and anybody else who does not agree with me is wrong, pure and simple. stupidity and/or ignorance may be bliss, but its also retarded

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by azultoyou
    Quite inaccurate...

I can say the same thing of my Shimano BB's. At least two of which are over 10 years old. They've been moved from bike to bike to bike to ...& they're still going strong. In fact, I've got one of them installed on my used but new-to-me '05 GF Rig SS that's been converted to IGH. No where near the cost of a Phil Wood either.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i used to run and eno crankset and switched over to the m960.

stiffness....i think the xtr are a bit stiffer. i would here my chain trying to pop off the ring when i ran the enos every now and then. i also had the lockring loosen on a couple of rides when i rode the eno with a fixed gear set up.

that has never happened with the m960 or the middleburn i run now. i only switched to middleburns since i toasted the xtr bb pretty quickly (it was a used BB).

i am going to be putting my m960 back on though. i had crazy8 do a cermic coat and i bought a 32t ring from him that isuckatriding made for him to sell. i'll be using a king bb now though.

it is a toss up though. both are great. if you go eno, get a quality bb (you'll need a good one with the xtr too). also, the difference in q-factor is pretty significant. a eno set up with a 113mm spindle is about 10mm more narrow than the m960 set up.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i'm confused ....since when does an XTR M960 use a BB?

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    i used to run and eno crankset and switched over to the m960.

stiffness....i think the xtr are a bit stiffer. i would here my chain trying to pop off the ring when i ran the enos every now and then. i also had the lockring loosen on a couple of rides when i rode the eno with a fixed gear set up.

that has never happened with the m960 or the middleburn i run now. i only switched to middleburns since i toasted the xtr bb pretty quickly (it was a used BB).

i am going to be putting my m960 back on though. i had crazy8 do a cermic coat and i bought a 32t ring from him that isuckatriding made for him to sell. i'll be using a king bb now though.

it is a toss up though. both are great. if you go eno, get a quality bb (you'll need a good one with the xtr too). also, the difference in q-factor is pretty significant. a eno set up with a 113mm spindle is about 10mm more narrow than the m960 set up.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    i'm confused ....since when does an XTR M960 use a BB?
    ???? i challenge you to use the cranks arms and spindle without a BB

my 960 (and 970) BBs ahve been great but if replaced will try King external BB replacement, cuz it looks cool

mtbr member
    May 2007
    King? Pah. Phil Wood is where it's at.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Nation
    King? Pah. Phil Wood is where it's at.
    good point...i bet square taper bottom brackets look rad with your cantilever brakes

artistic...
    th village people?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Fo, I never said anything about square taper (although I do use and like square taper, and cantis, but that's another story).

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Nation
    Fo, I never said anything about square taper (although I do use and like square taper, and cantis, but that's another story).

ah...good point. and for the record, i think Phil Wood makes BADASS stuff, to include square taper. had MANY of their products without a glitch, EVER! not to mention, the GM of Phil Wood is a totally kewl dude. Having said that, I simply dont have any bikes (at this time) with square taper, phil wood or otherwise, therefore, since parts on my bikes are superior, i cant currently support a stance of promoting square taper. that could change tomorrow.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i dont ride square taper because it turns into round taper after a few months for me, so i vote m960 done up by RD at Shawnee. Super good guy. No disrespect to WI, they do make good stuff, but square taper in general doesnt work for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0