Thread: ENO cranks

King Pin

Smile ENO cranks

Just forwarding a message from Lynette at White Industries concerning a problemo I had today.......

"Please do NOT use loctite on your ENO crank lockring, but anti-seize"...

Loctite caused a thread-stripping problem for me whilst removing the lockring to change chainrings. (That's a mouthful!) Major major galling occured....epic galling!

The "blue stuff" kept that little green ring on there just dandy, but removing it today was absolutely dreadful! Obviously not the fault of WI, but.....of course!......Lynette will take care of you, no matter what!

I am absolutely impressed with the customer service provided by White Industries! Can I have a "second", again?? Hee.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have an ENO crank and I was wondering if the chainring should go on to the spline dry or with grease? The first time I took the chainring off it appeared to be dry. So I am assuming it goes back on that way.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

King Pin

Cool-blue Rhythm Dry!

Clean the splines thoroughly, put the ring on there dry, and ANTI-SEIZE the locking ring.

I'm reserving the blue Loctite for the vibration-riddled bolts on my KLR650. And of course the improper use of BB lockrings on two of three fixie bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by lftripp33
    I have an ENO crank and I was wondering if the chainring should go on to the spline dry or with grease? The first time I took the chainring off it appeared to be dry. So I am assuming it goes back on that way.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Lynette will take care of you, no matter what!
    Unless you want your arms ano'd black, then she won't help..even when they told me they would at Sea Otter....

FIFI!
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Unless you want your arms ano'd black, then she won't help..even when they told me they would at Sea Otter....
    yeah, it's a dumb reason but, that's why i don't sport any of their products.

love me my black components.

King Pin

Cool-blue Rhythm Ano.

Papa,

I think you'll soon be in for a surprise! Lynette actually spoke the "ano" word to me today......shhhhhh!! Secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre

King Pin

Bonking ... not feelin' well Huh??

Sorry, but you won't use ENO's just cause they don't come in "black"?? I agree on the "dumb reasoning".

You're missing out on one of my favorite bicycling components! I have 'em on four bikes now.

The SRAM PC7-X chains don't quite know how to deal with 'em....they're perhaps told at the factory things like tight/loose rotations and such....not so with ENO!

Quote Originally Posted by Weaver

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Can you tell me again why these ENO cranks are the bee's knees? I seem to have missed that memo...!

FIFI!
    Sorry, but you won't use ENO's just cause they don't come in "black"?? I agree on the "dumb reasoning".

You're missing out on one of my favorite bicycling components! I have 'em on four bikes now.

The SRAM PC7-X chains don't quite know how to deal with 'em....they're perhaps told at the factory things like tight/loose rotations and such....not so with ENO!
    well i'm also kind of partial to the older cooks cranks i have quite the horde of those going on. and i don't like the idea of having to use eno specific chainrings. as soon as more options are available though i'm sure i'll start dabbling with them. its inevitable.

King Pin

Smile Eno

Light/stiff/cheap....well. From my experience, perfectly concentric chainrings! Muy importante on a SS or fixie. The chain remains exactly tensioned throughout rotation.

Pretty green (or shiny aluminium) chainrings. The most fantastic customer service I've experienced in more than twenty years of mountain biking. Lynette (ahhhhh!). Stiff....Lynette. (sorry!).....Lynette.

Need I go on?

Spin, I'll send you a pair to try out. You'll love 'em, or send 'em back. No wucking furries, mate!

Deal? Make sure and remember to send 'em back though! 32/34/38 tooth...your preference.

Love ya man!

(psssttt... forgot to mention they only come in "square taper"....as God and Jacque Phelan and Charlie Cunningham and Richard Cunningham and Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly and Tom Ritchey intended 'em to be! Disc brakes and Octalink shiate just plain won't work in the long run....)

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Can you tell me again why these ENO cranks are the bee's knees? I seem to have missed that memo...!
    Last edited by xrmattaz; 05-20-2005 at 06:20 PM.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Wow, that's quite an offer. Perfectly matched with a real in-your-face diss of my hydraulic disc brakes. What a bastard! A bloody brilliant bastard, but a bastard all the same!

You're gonna get me in trouble with those cranks, I just know it.

King Pin

Cool-blue Rhythm dicks breaks

I'll have to retract anything I've posted concerning my hatred of disc brakes!

If they are on YOUR bike, disc brakes are a wonderful/miraculous thing....if on MINE, they just plain suck. JMHO.

I live in Aridzona, and have no use for those silly things. Long live the V's!! Hee.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Wow, that's quite an offer. Perfectly matched with a real in-your-face diss of my hydraulic disc brakes. What a bastard! A bloody brilliant bastard, but a bastard all the same!

You're gonna get me in trouble with those cranks, I just know it.

mtbr member

I have some black Eno arms

I had to get the job done in Indianapolis (I'm in KY). Looks great and I can't wait for my Boone ring to get here! Sorry no pics yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

ooooh

please say it's for real, I love my ENO's on one bike, but my other has all black components and wouldn't look right with silver cranks........I NEED BLACK!

....bring 'em on

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky3
    please say it's for real, I love my ENO's on one bike, but my other has all black components and wouldn't look right with silver cranks........I NEED BLACK!

....bring 'em on
    c'mon, one can't be too picky. 10 years from now it will be back to pink, white, and yellow housing and mind control brakes will be the norm.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I'll have to retract anything I've posted concerning my hatred of disc brakes!

If they are on YOUR bike, disc brakes are a wonderful/miraculous thing....if on MINE, they just plain suck. JMHO.

I live in Aridzona, and have no use for those silly things. Long live the V's!! Hee.
    You'd have been proud of me this weekend, mate. Fully rigid, 32/20 gearing, v-brakes, Midge bars. I was able to coast, though.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Having spent the last 4 days riding in Arizona, I have a few observations to make...
    1. Disc brakes still stop better, perform better, than v-brakes.
    2. Suspension forks allow a rider to ride at a higher level over a rigid fork.
    3. Flagstaff trails are incredible!
    4. LOTS of SSers in Flagstaff.
    5. 29er SSs are one of the best ways to ride AZ.
    6. Black components look better for longer than silvery ones that used to be shiny.
    7. Sedona has lots of crystal-lovin'-hippies.
    8. The girl who cut my hair in Sedona, who was from Flagstaff, turned us on to a GREAT sushi place in Flagstaff, that we assaulted post ride. Nice!
    9. Rim brakes are for road bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

#%&@ Wi

Just forwarding a message from Lynette at White Industries concerning a problemo I had today.......

"Please do NOT use loctite on your ENO crank lockring, but anti-seize"...

Loctite caused a thread-stripping problem for me whilst removing the lockring to change chainrings. (That's a mouthful!) Major major galling occured....epic galling!

The "blue stuff" kept that little green ring on there just dandy, but removing it today was absolutely dreadful! Obviously not the fault of WI, but.....of course!......Lynette will take care of you, no matter what!

I am absolutely impressed with the customer service provided by White Industries! Can I have a "second", again?? Hee.
    I toataly disagree with the responsivness of WI. I broke 2 of their chainrings, they blamed it on me and have not done anything for me. They also said that they were going to cut some stronger rings, but never did....or at least havn't sent me any. I had to order a Boone ring(which I don't mind cause they are phat) in order to use the cranks, and because thier stupid spline pattern for the spiderless does not match any other one on the market...So you can say whatever you want, but I havn't been able to use my ENO's for the last 6-8mounths because of thier GREAT customer service....

J_T
    Pale-ale-ontologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaver

Strange. They offer the eccentric hub in black. Doesn't make much sense that they won't do a crankset in black ano.