mtbr member

ENO crank lockring tool

What's everyone to take off/on the lock ring? Seems like the Park Tool HCW-5 just does not work. I've read were folks use the hook end-but i've yet to figure this out. Others have suggested the Park Tool SPA-4-i'm sure this works but why use this tool when there could be something that actually fits.

I understand that Park Tool does not make the correct tool anymore for the lockring (smaller then the HCW-5). Anybody have a tool number on this? might be some floating around on ebay.

great cranks-just wish WI would make a good tool for it like they do with the freewheel.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilegal, Y Que?
    What's everyone to take off/on the lock ring? Seems like the Park Tool HCW-5 just does not work. I've read were folks use the hook end-but i've yet to figure this out. Others have suggested the Park Tool SPA-4-i'm sure this works but why use this tool when there could be something that actually fits.

I understand that Park Tool does not make the correct tool anymore for the lockring (smaller then the HCW-5). Anybody have a tool number on this? might be some floating around on ebay.

great cranks-just wish WI would make a good tool for it like they do with the freewheel.
    Hozan hook spanner works for me:

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

34N 118W
    I was told by W.I. to use the same tool - the BB one with the hook end (like Drevils photo). I took my cranks to the LBS and that wrench didn't cut it, the tool kept slipping out of the notch and started to eat away at the ring. One of the guys there put the crank/ring in a vice with the lockring face up and used a spanner wrench in two of the notches. He had it off in seconds. Same tool for tightening it back on.

I was starting to get concerned, even sweat and panic and breathe funny, but it worked out. Now I have a pretty, green 44t ring on there for roadie use.

good luck
    HW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I was told by W.I. to use the same tool - the BB one with the hook end (like Drevils photo). I took my cranks to the LBS and that wrench didn't cut it, the tool kept slipping out of the notch and started to eat away at the ring. One of the guys there put the crank/ring in a vice with the lockring face up and used a spanner wrench in two of the notches. He had it off in seconds. Same tool for tightening it back on.

I was starting to get concerned, even sweat and panic and breathe funny, but it worked out. Now I have a pretty, green 44t ring on there for roadie use.

good luck
    HW
    Seems like a weak way to get the lockring off. It would be better if Park Tool or WI made a tool much like the HCW-5 but a smaller diameter to fit the three notches of tool onto the lockring. i mean, could it possibly be that hard to make? just seems like using the hook-end is a crappy way to get the lockring off and overtime will eat away at the lockring. Did the mechanic use the SPA-4?
    Last edited by Ilegal, Y Que?; 07-29-2005 at 09:58 AM.

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilegal, Y Que?
    Did the mechanic use the SPA-4?
    don't recall if it was the 1, 2 or 4. Whichever one fit best. But I agree that there should be a specific tool for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    don't recall if it was the 1, 2 or 4. Whichever one fit best. But I agree that there should be a specific tool for it.
    albiet he used the SPA-4.