ENO and Chris King?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

ENO and Chris King?

I think I screwed up and bought a chris king bottom bracket and am trying to match it with ENO cranks-I think the CK BB only is compatible with integrated spindle/cranksets. Any ideas? Should I send the CK BB back and go with a different BB? Obviously not a wrench guy and this is my first SS build attempt...

mtbr member
    unfortunately, all you assumptions above are correct....

the white industries need a square taper bottom bracket - they even make their own...

the chris king bb is undoubtful one of the best pieces of kit you can put on you bike. if you have a need for it, keep it - if not, send it back
    XC legs,
    DH balls...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks. I'll just send the CK back to speedgoat and pick up a White Brothers...

mtbr member
    You might also consider a Phil Wood BB
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpeery
    Thanks. I'll just send the CK back to speedgoat and pick up a White Brothers...
    And to confuse you even more...White Brothers makes forks, White Industries makes BBs, cranks, hubs, freewheels.

Freezer
    x2 on the Phil Wood BB. Sets the standard for quality, and very importantly for a SS, allows for up to 5mm of chainline adjustment. The White Industries BB is not adjustable.

mtbr member
    I've wondered why WI is going "retro" with a square taper bb. Is there some advantage to this? With all the extra torque the bottom bracket goes through on a SS I was under the assumption square tapers would be flexy

AZ
    banned
    Ease of manufactor , ease of maintanance . FWIW , I have never killed a square taper . Loctite blue on the bolts , no worries .

T Smee
    Oct 2007
    You could get a couple cheap Shimano bb's and if it starts going south after a year or so, just replace it... UN54 for $17 on Speedgoat

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by asphaltdude
    You might also consider a Phil Wood BB
    I strongly agree. I go through bbs like nothing else... the Phil Wood square taper (haven't tried their EBB) is the only one that I have not destroyed. To be fair, I just started to use a CK on another set up... don't have much time on it yet but so far, so good.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsmith
    You could get a couple cheap Shimano bb's and if it starts going south after a year or so, just replace it... UN54 for $17 on Speedgoat
    +1

I've beat the hell out of my Shimano UN54 for 2 seasons and it's still smooth as day one. Smoother, actually. Cost me $25 at the LBS. Plus, I find installation of the Phil to be a pain in the arse, though that could be my lack of wrenching skills. If you ride in consistenly wet conditions and don't plan on swapping it to a different frame on occasion, the Phil is probably worth it. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense to me.

If I was in the market for a high-end BB, I'd go with the White Industries.

MONKEYMAN
    I and a friend must be the only folks with bad experiences on PW BBs. mine lasted about a year before running rough, about 500 'dry' miles on it- never rode it in the rain. My friends lasted about 3 years (though he admits more than a few stream crossings)

Phil did replace mine with no charge, so there's that. I've got a 16 year old UN** on my 1991 zaskar that still spins fine- it's got about 400 billion miles on it.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

Members who have read this thread: 0