Professional Slacker

ENO and the Chariot Cougar child trailer...

Anyone using ENO and pulling the cougar child trailer ? If so...how so ? I'm interested in getting one, I but it doesn't seem it will work with the original bolt and flange combo. Or, does anyone here have praises of other trialers that probably work just as well for half the price ?

I borrowed an LL bean trailer last night to take my little one on her first ride. While she probaly wouldn't know the differece, and seemed to love it, it wasn't bad. However, I had the opportunity to compare it to a Chariot right afterwards. There is a big difference in construction and quality, which also leads to the obvious price difference. It is a sweet trailer...definitely the cadilac of them all. But if its not going to work easily with the ENO, I'd like to find something comparable.
    Procastinators...Our Leaders of Tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chili
    Anyone using ENO and pulling the cougar child trailer ? If so...how so ? I'm interested in getting one, I but it doesn't seem it will work with the original bolt and flange combo. Or, does anyone here have praises of other trialers that probably work just as well for half the price ?

I borrowed an LL bean trailer last night to take my little one on her first ride. While she probaly wouldn't know the differece, and seemed to love it, it wasn't bad. However, I had the opportunity to compare it to a Chariot right afterwards. There is a big difference in construction and quality, which also leads to the obvious price difference. It is a sweet trailer...definitely the cadilac of them all. But if its not going to work easily with the ENO, I'd like to find something comparable.
    its hard to see the images on how it hooks up to the bike. I'm guessing it connects to the hub?

I'm getting a Burly. I like them and I built many of them when I worked for REI. I like how they attach to the chainstay, rendering my SS the Papa bike and the trailer Annabel's vehicle of joy.

try driving your car less

I have ENO and a cougar. I haven't tried using them together yet. I plan on using it on a geared bike when my kid is old enough. I think you need to use something with a QR axle. It's a reallynice trailer/jogger.

Would these work? THey are expensive, though. They say for a BOB trailer.
    http://www.cycleworksusa.com/mohawknuts.asp
    Only boring people get bored.

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    I have ENO and a cougar. I haven't tried using them together yet. I plan on using it on a geared bike when my kid is old enough. I think you need to use something with a QR axle. It's a reallynice trailer/jogger.

I run the Chariot with a Phil bolt-on with no associated problems thus far. The ENO should work in the same manner (judging by my other fixie), but I will probably never try it as it is geared too low.

I have thoroughly tested it with my twins.

Definitely a sweet trailer.

b1umb0y
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by b1umb0y; 05-20-2005 at 06:39 AM.

Professional Slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape

The trailer comes with a special quick release, but I don't think you have to use it. Have you looked at the way it sets up yet ? You attach a special piece to your dropout that serves as the hitch. I think the ENO will work, but the little loose flange piece of the hub, that sits in the dropout, is too short. It is recessed in the hitch attachment. If it were twice as long, it would work. I'm sure a hardware store has something similar..or a machinist could fabricate something, but I was just wondering if anyone here has actually tried it.

I'm still new to the ENO thing. Maybe I'm wrong all together and it will work without a special piece...but doesn't that piece of the ENO bolt have to sit in the dropout to keep everything alligned properly ?

I'm actaully having a problem already with my hub allignment...it sits a bit to the left and sometimes the tire rubs the chainstay. I thought it was the frame at first (since I've had previous problems with my dropouts), and the wheel was perfectly true and properly dished (no dish) when I put it in. I tried the wheel in another frame..and it still sits a bit to the left. I tried an old wheel in my frame and it sat in there pretty centered. I know this is unrelated to my original question..but any of you other ENO advocates have a similar problem ?

Thanks for the tips on the nuts JH..but I don't think they will work.

Professional Slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    its hard to see the images on how it hooks up to the bike. I'm guessing it connects to the hub?

I'm getting a Burly. I like them and I built many of them when I worked for REI. I like how they attach to the chainstay, rendering my SS the Papa bike and the trailer Annabel's vehicle of joy.
    Gracias por la ayuda Erenesto...y tienes razon. Conecta por el 'hub'. Como se dice 'hub' ? Disculpa el espanol..soy 100% gringo pero me encanta la lengua. Casi nunca tengo la oportunidad para usarlo como vivo en el 'sticks'. He notado en el pasado que eres mexicano y que lo hablas.

Investigare la posibildad del Burly. Se me olvido esa marca..pero recuerdo en otros 'threads' que parece ser un buen producto.

Professional Slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by b1umb0y
    I run the Chariot with a Phil bolt-on with no associated problems thus far. The ENO should work in the same manner (judging by my other fixie), but I will probably never try it as it is geared too low.

I have thoroughly tested it with my twins.

Definitely a sweet trailer.

b1umb0y
    Here is the problem...this flange at the end of the arrow, which is what sits in the dropout, is recessed in the hitch attachment, causing only the bolt itself to sit in the dropout. i'm assuming this won't work...or at least not properly, since it would be hard to keep aligned, not to mention putting all the weight/force on the bolt. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong..I often don't understand the simplest concepts..btw..thanks for the help Drevil.

I'm guessing your Phil Wood hub doesn't bolt on the same as the ENO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steel and teeth.
    Here is the problem...this flange at the end of the arrow, which is what sits in the dropout, is recessed in the hitch attachment, causing only the bolt itself to sit in the dropout. i'm assuming this won't work...or at least not properly, as it is then out of alignment not tomention putting all the weight/force on the bolt. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm guessing your Phil Wood hub doesn't bolt on the same as the ENO.
    It does. But, maybe the flange is longer. I haven't measured the two.

If anything, I would find/make a spacer to fill the gap. The spacer shouldn't need to be integral with the modified washer associated with the current bolt, but rather fill the gap between the bolt and the drop-out (also making sure the bolt is long enough).

This is what I would do because the Chariot is so much better than everything else we looked at it.

bb

mtbr member

Eje

Gracias por la ayuda Erenesto...y tienes razon. Conecta por el 'hub'. Como se dice 'hub' ? Disculpa el espanol..soy 100% gringo pero me encanta la lengua. Casi nunca tengo la oportunidad para usarlo como vivo en el 'sticks'. He notado en el pasado que eres mexicano y que lo hablas.

Investigare la posibildad del Burly. Se me olvido esa marca..pero recuerdo en otros 'threads' que parece ser un buen producto.
    Hub es eje en Español.
    Claro que lo hablo. Lastima es que casi no hablo español aqui en Wisconsin. My mamá esuvo aqui visitandonos por tres semanas, y ya se fue a Mex�*co.

Naci en San Antonio, TX, pero vivi en Mex. los primeros 12 años de mi vida, es por eso que lo hablo bien. Y me da orgullo decir que el Inglés es my 2da lengua.

Professional Slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by b1umb0y
    This is what I would do because the Chariot is so much better than everything else we looked at it.

bb
    Hey..just noticed you're a fellow Marylander. If you ever make it out to the western panhandle (allegany or garrett co.) to ride...or want to, look me up.

I won't argue that the Chariot is superior. Of everything I've seen so far, it wins hands down. I did just check out the Burley's though...and they seem to be of similar qualitly for about $150 less..(2004 model).

You might be right though about the spacer. I never thought about the fact that it wouldn't necessarily have to be attached, just something to fill the void. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Steel and teeth.
    Hey..just noticed you're a fellow Marylander. If you ever make it out to the western panhandle (allegany or garrett co.) to ride...or want to, look me up.

I won't argue that the Chariot is superior. Of everything I've seen so far, it wins hands down. I did just check out the Burley's though...and they seem to be of similar qualitly for about $150 less..(2004 model).

You might be right though about the spacer. I never thought about the fact that it wouldn't necessarily have to be attached, just something to fill the void. I'll look into that. Thanks.
    Definitely. We were out there last year riding in Accident and Deep Creek (Wisp?). It is beautiful out there! Whereabouts are you located? We are tthinking about going out again this year.

You might consider looking at McMaster-Carr. Perform a search for 'spacers' or 'Press-fit drill bushings'. They have a bunch of stuff that might work. All you need is the desired ID, OD, and length.

The big advantage to the Chariot is the suspension. It is adjustable to weight (by pinching the leaf springs in certain locations) and is amazing for light trail use, etc. That in my opinion was the deal breaker. I was considering Burley because they too are a quality product... but suspension for the little ones is a winner every time.

bb
    Last edited by b1umb0y; 05-20-2005 at 08:06 AM.

I think that washer thing goes on the outside of the dropout? you mean that the sleeve that covers the bolt is too short, right? the sleeve that connects to that outer piece. Just find some washers or a sleeve that are exactly the same. on the bolt, put on the fancy washer/flange thingy, then enough washers to make up for the width of the chariot thingy, then attach to hub. kind of like if you had super thick dropouts?
    i dont have this all in front of me, just i think i now see what you mean.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Another option - get the older Chariot (or Trek) hitch that mounts/clamps to the chainstay. (Trek and Chariot parts are often interchangeable since Chariot started by making trailers for Trek.) It will fit the Chariot cycling arm. I'm assuming you don't have a disc brake and have the regular non-disc ENO.

As for Chariot being the best, I've got lots o' experience with both Chariot and Burley. I give a strong nod to Burley. Reasons - 1) VASTLY superior customer service (not that you would likely need it given the Burley quality, but I'm talking about spare parts for a 10+ year old Burley), 2) made in the USA (Burley in Eugene, OR) vs China (Chariot), 3) price and 4) weight. The advantages of Chariot are 1) the infant sling which is pretty slick and 2) it's jogger kit is better (and the nordic ski option if you're into that).

I have had to get some Chariot parts before and it was always a disaster. With one it was a 3 month turnaround for a specific bolt. You can't just deal with them direct. You have to work through a dealer, so the communication channels get kinda confused.

Those are some thoughts... S

Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Another option - get the older Chariot (or Trek) hitch that mounts/clamps to the chainstay. (Trek and Chariot parts are often interchangeable since Chariot started by making trailers for Trek.) It will fit the Chariot cycling arm. I'm assuming you don't have a disc brake and have the regular non-disc ENO.

As for Chariot being the best, I've got lots o' experience with both Chariot and Burley. I give a strong nod to Burley. Reasons - 1) VASTLY superior customer service (not that you would likely need it given the Burley quality, but I'm talking about spare parts for a 10+ year old Burley), 2) made in the USA (Burley in Eugene, OR) vs China (Chariot), 3) price and 4) weight. The advantages of Chariot are 1) the infant sling which is pretty slick and 2) it's jogger kit is better (and the nordic ski option if you're into that).

I have had to get some Chariot parts before and it was always a disaster. With one it was a 3 month turnaround for a specific bolt. You can't just deal with them direct. You have to work through a dealer, so the communication channels get kinda confused.

Those are some thoughts... S

I thought Chariot was made in Canada?
    we got ours because of the infant sling and jogging thingy.

Thanks for the tip about Trek and Chariot!

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Canadian company, made in China. Just like about every other bike-related product. China or Taiwan I guess. No big deal, but it is cool that Burley's are still US made. And yeah, most of the Trek/Chariot parts are interchangeable, although some may require a little bit of modification - ie, a drill. I think Chariot made a couple small modifications so things don't exactly fit, but many just involve the removal of lockpins and holes which a drill and trip to the hardware store can easily fix. And just so you know, the Trek Rocket is basically the equivalent to a Chariot Cheetah (or Cougar minus the suspension). The Trek Transits are the Chariot Cabriolet. The one thing I'm not sure on is if you can retrofit a Trek to take the Chariot nordic ski kit. Anyway, more info than any of you probably wanted! S

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yup it works!

I have an ENO eccentric disc hub on my Rocky Blizzard and pull my daughter with the Chariot Cheetah. The bolt fits perfect and I have had no issues with the hub slipping. We use your Chariot everyday and love it. Skiing in the winter and running and cycling in the summer with my little girl, there is nothing better! Everytime we go in the garage she climbs in the trailer and wants to go. Which reminds I better go out and get everything ready so we can ride to the park after her nap.

Witty McWitterson
    God I hate it when you guys bust out in spanish. I can't read that sh!t. I know you're talking about me in front of my back. Knock it off.

Just a regular guy.

Professional Slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Higbee
    I have an ENO eccentric disc hub on my Rocky Blizzard and pull my daughter with the Chariot Cheetah. The bolt fits perfect and I have had no issues with the hub slipping. We use your Chariot everyday and love it. Skiing in the winter and running and cycling in the summer with my little girl, there is nothing better! Everytime we go in the garage she climbs in the trailer and wants to go. Which reminds I better go out and get everything ready so we can ride to the park after her nap.
    I just checked out a Burley...and they seem just as nice as the Chariot, minus the lack of suspension. Since I'm sure I'll do most of my riding with my little one on a smooth rail trail, I'm not too worried about it. I'm leaning towards the Burley, but I'm still curious about the Chariot though.

So...you didn't have to make any modifactions for it to fit in the dropout ? The flange on the piece I pointed out above isn't recessed into the hitch mount ? Maybe the flange on disc version is longer than the non-disc ?

mtbr member

Just a clarification...

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to correct this info for anyone in the future looking for a well made trailer...
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    As for Chariot being the best, I've got lots o' experience with both Chariot and Burley. I give a strong nod to Burley. Reasons - 1) VASTLY superior customer service (not that you would likely need it given the Burley quality, but I'm talking about spare parts for a 10+ year old Burley), 2) made in the USA (Burley in Eugene, OR) vs China (Chariot), 3) price and 4) weight. The advantages of Chariot are 1) the infant sling which is pretty slick and 2) it's jogger kit is better (and the nordic ski option if you're into that)....
    That's incorrect. They are in fact made in Canada. Calgary to be exact. http://www.chariotcarriers.com/html_...rs_general.htm
    Last edited by GGAllen; 10-07-2005 at 09:39 PM.
    This is not Nam. This is bowling. There are rules. -Walter Sobchak

Members who have read this thread: 0