Endless Kickass vs CK vs Surly cogs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Endless Kickass vs CK vs Surly cogs

Am going to change over my geared Karate Monkey to SS. Also change my 20t to 18t on my SS El Mariachi.So I 'll be purchasing 2 cogs. No probs with the Surly...any advantage weight etc. going with either of the other 2 brands.Both bikes will have Hope Pro Evo 2 hubs.I realize I can't go wrong with any of these.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    King, and Surly are stainless, while the Endless is Aluminum. The Endless is Lighter, but the other 2 should "last longer" all things considered. Surly or King what ever you find cheaper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks...definately go for durability.CK or Surly it is. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have been running a Surly on my SS for over two years and after a good cleaning it still lokks pretty good. I bought a CK to go on my new SS wheelset and could not get it to fit by hand. I probably could have tapped it on with a hammer but there was no way I was going to do that to my new I9 hubs. It looks great though! Thinking of giving the Niner Cogalicious cog a go.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    I haven't worn out an aluminum cog yet in 5 years of SS'ing. Just my experience (Endless, rennen, and HBC).

mtbr member
    I have a couple of Endless cogs and neither of them fit initially to my Hope Pro2 without the aid of a small file but are now running smoothly.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
    I have been running a Surly on my SS for over two years and after a good cleaning it still lokks pretty good. I bought a CK to go on my new SS wheelset and could not get it to fit by hand. I probably could have tapped it on with a hammer but there was no way I was going to do that to my new I9 hubs. It looks great though! Thinking of giving the Niner Cogalicious cog a go.
    I'm running an 18t Niner Cogalicious without any problems. I had a Surly on before, but wanted to go to a lower gear ratio and the Niner was the only 18t I could find at my LBS's. The aluminum sketched me out, but I don't see any signs of wear yet, and it is noticably lighter than the CK and Surly steel cogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    I haven't worn out an aluminum cog yet in 5 years of SS'ing. Just my experience (Endless, rennen, and HBC).
    How much do you weigh? I have given up on aluminum cogs because they don't last. My last aluminum cog lasted about 400 miles before it exploded. I have a 18T Surly cog that probably close to 3000 miles on it, and it's still going strong. Now I have a mix of Surly and On-One steel cogs on 16-20. I don't ever plan on buying aluminum again.

mtbr member
    175-180 depending? I'm not racer fast but I love to climb and do race occasionally.

banned
    My Endless cogs only last roughly a month before they wear through. Did have a Niner Cogalicious last almost 2 months. Put a CK on in early summer and still shows no wear at all. And has been quite a bit quieter then the other 2 as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    singleworks steel, cheap, lightish, loving mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    On One has cogs for $9.99.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    On One has cogs for $9.99.
    Between a few friends of mine and I we ordered 6 On One cogs ranging from 16T to 20T. They looked really good, and so far have been flawless as far a performance. At that price they are hard to beat.

mtbr member
    where are they $9.99? are they the groove armada?
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

Members who have read this thread: 0