Endless cog question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Endless cog question

I was told that you could run multiple endless cogs on a hub and that they would have the correct spacing to run a derailler. Has anyone done this? Successful? I already have 3, I am thinking I could add another 1 to the collection and run a 1x4 when needed. If this is the case I will be stoked

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, you probably can but there would be no advantage to doing this and some drawbacks. If I were going to introduce gears and a derailleur I'd go with cogs designed for shifting, not ones designed for no shifting. It would make the shifting experience much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah I realized that but I will likely add gears for all of 5 times a year so I am not too worried about my shifting performance.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by 2morrow
    I was told that you could run multiple endless cogs on a hub and that they would have the correct spacing to run a derailler. Has anyone done this? Successful? I already have 3, I am thinking I could add another 1 to the collection and run a 1x4 when needed. If this is the case I will be stoked
    do a search, as this was discussed a while back. the guy from endless posted that it probably will not work. so i would not do it.

it is the surly cogs which claim to have proper spacing and to work for shifting.

for a 1x4, i would just get a cheap cassette and take it apart. you can get an entire cassette for the price of a couple endless cogs.
    Only boring people get bored.

highly visible
    Endless cogs are way too wide. If you alternated Endless cogs with DX or Novatec it might come close.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    I designed the cogs to minimize any chance of derailment....
    Just go ahead and run all 9, it doesn't simplify to have fewer gears (it really just does more to complicate) unless you do away with all but one.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

Members who have read this thread: 0