Endless alu cog vs. Surly stainless cog- Mtbr.com
    on my 3rd wind...

New question here. Endless alu cog vs. Surly stainless cog

They are similarly priced. Which do you prefer and why? I could have easily asked aluminum cog vs. stainless steel cog but I intentionally didn't.
    sth

mtbr member
    The Surly cogs aren't stainless. I have both. The Endless cogs are much lighter when you hold them in your hand -- on the bike the difference is minimal. Seems like the Endless cogs have wider teeth, making chainline more critical.

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    The Surly cogs aren't stainless. I have both. The Endless cogs are much lighter when you hold them in your hand -- on the bike the difference is minimal. Seems like the Endless cogs have wider teeth, making chainline more critical.
    Then I guess plain old steel for Surly. Is it safe to assume that Surly steel cog will last twice as long as Endless Kicka$$ aluminum cog on same number tooth (say 18t)?
    sth

mtbr member
    Not sure about that, but Endless claims :"Made of high strength 7075-T6 alloy (Stronger and harder than most common steels). . .".

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound
    Which do you prefer and why?
    Endless--Available.
    Surly--Not Available.

Easy choice...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Endless--Available.
    Surly--Not Available.

Easy choice...
    That's me too! Got an Endless 20t for $24 or so and couldn't find a Surly 20t in stock for close to that price.

The Endless seems to be machined to fairly tight tolerances. It just barely scootches onto the cassette body on my wheel--it's nice and snug. I like it.

Regards

One gear to rule them all
    Surly Cogs

SCM 415 cromoly steel. This is hardened cromoly; looks good, lasts a long time. Match one of our stainless steel chainrings to one of our chrome-plated cogs,and you’ve got a drivetrain built to last. Designed to fit Shimano freehub bodies. The Shimano freehub spline is the most common design out there, used on Shimano brand and many non-Shimano hubs. You’re likely using this cog to convert your current wheel to single speed. The tooth shape and height are ideal for single speed drivetrains. The footprint of the cogs (where they fit onto the FH) is wider than most SS cogs so they don’t dig into the FH and get sloppy. This is especially important if your FH body is aluminum or titanium. The wide footprint serves 2 purposes: anti-dig as mentioned, and they’re 9 speed drivetrain spaced, so you can stack them up for several gears (orient them the same direction on the FH body for this purpose). Because they’re designed as single-speed cogs first, they’ll shift a bit slower than a regular cluster, but we’ve had good results running several cogs. Like a single but want a bailout or catch up gear? Here’s your answer. Compatible with all 6, 7, 8 and 9-speed chains. Available in all sizes from 13T–22T
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

Members who have read this thread: 1