The End.- Mtbr.com

Thread: The End.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

The End.

After 15 years of pushing "Just the one gear" around Vermont, I tapped out. Desperate to continue to enjoy my instant engagement, a crafty mechanic listened to my issues and with the utilization of a Goat Link set me up with a sweet 6 speed on my I9 SS hub. After one for years, 6 is plenty. Putting it out there as a FYI fort anyone with an old SS sitting around and looking for a neat mod, or for any old guys like me who suddenly need all the help they can get.

Chain slap still sucks BTW, but 1:1 is awesome!
    By for now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    The cool thing about a fix like this is you can go back to single with some easy adjustments.

But I think you'll have some fun with the gears. Just yesterday I was pushing a perhaps too big gear on the trail and thinking gears might be nice for some 'easier' rides on occasion. I'm sure as the years go by in my body I will be thinking about this a little more.

It'd be cool to see some pics of your new set up, too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by akindofbrian View Post
    The cool thing about a fix like this is you can go back to single with some easy adjustments.

But I think you'll have some fun with the gears. Just yesterday I was pushing a perhaps too big gear on the trail and thinking gears might be nice for some 'easier' rides on occasion. I'm sure as the years go by in my body I will be thinking about this a little more.

It'd be cool to see some pics of your new set up, too.
    Single speed frame (Old Peyto Wild Bill) that we slid a hanger into the dropout behind the axel. Then we had a limit screw issue and scavenged a longer screw from and old random used parts pile. Used a goat link to push the derailleur out of the spokes and off the cassette. Dropper post next...... 16 year old frame steel is real. I took some pics but upload isn't working out. Maybe later.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 08-18-2017 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I would be happy with three gears: tall gear for roads, middle gear for general trails, super low gear for really technical/ bail out moments.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I would be happy with three gears: tall gear for roads, middle gear for general trails, super low gear for really technical/ bail out moments.
    I've played with this idea too...where the middle cog would be my straight chain line, SS gear, and then adding one taller gear and one low gear, with a friction shifter and old derailleur, set up with as much derailleur tension as possible on the primary gear for less chain slap. Ideally, the friction shifter could be mounted to the downtube or even seat tube, kept out of the way. Would just run this with normal SS cogs, and use the friction shifter to move the chain, not really for frequent or super smooth shifts, more just for long climbs or long, spinny descents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    After 15 years of pushing "Just the one gear" around Vermont, I tapped out. Desperate to continue to enjoy my instant engagement, a crafty mechanic listened to my issues and with the utilization of a Goat Link set me up with a sweet 6 speed on my I9 SS hub. After one for years, 6 is plenty. Putting it out there as a FYI fort anyone with an old SS sitting around and looking for a neat mod, or for any old guys like me who suddenly need all the help they can get.

Chain slap still sucks BTW, but 1:1 is awesome!
    By for now.
    Why the chainslap, didn't you get a clutch RD?
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    You are describing the Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hub.

It's perfect for bikes with track ends. That's all that was available when they first started making them over 100 years ago.

Stone axe reliable. Its only weakness is after knuckle dragging derailleur mechanics try their usual trick of twiddling the adjustment instead of setting it exactly to the mark.

If you're into heroic riding maybe it's not the hub, but otherwise they're very reliable. (I have 80 year old versions still in perfect nick with tens of thousands of miles under them.)

I use on for my general purpose road bike because it also gets taken along any interesting track I see when I'm out pottering.

It is direct drive in the middle gear, so feels just like single speed.

Go offroad, then just pop it in low and you have a 33% reduction. If you go into high you get a 25% increase.

There's just one epicyclic train so much less drag than the hubs with more speeds. I regard it as the perfect gear setup for singlespeeders.

I generally gear my knockabout road bike at 65 gear inches, so using this hub the low is about the same as my mtb ratio, and high is around my fast roadbike's level.

Most people don't even realise it has gears.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    When is Sturmey Archer going to make a disc brake, 142x12, 3-speed hub? I would give that a go.

I used to ride a Pompino with a 39/17 gear and 32mm slicks. awesome bike!
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 08-22-2017 at 06:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Fso when is Sturmey Archer going to make a disc brake, 142x12, 3-speed hub?
    I'd say that is unlikely because the change mechanism goes through the hub, so it would involve a major revision.

It's a bolt up hub anyway, so you get a pretty solid back end.

mtbr member
    I was half-joking. But I would consider it if they made such a hub that was strong enough for mtb applications and fits in my frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Why the chainslap, didn't you get a clutch RD?
    Yes but it still slaps occasionally.

mtbr member
    Not ready to give up one speed but about to call it quites on rigid. Hands and wrists are just not happy these days when riding. I did just order a full suspension geared bike this morning...but that's in addition to...not replacing the single speed bike.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    One of these days I may have to give it up, but not in the foreseeable future. I took it up 9 years ago when I was 46 and it's really all I care to ride.

And I agree about the rigid. I rode rigid for 2 years, but really like the suspension fork MUCH better.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    I'm much older than you and still riding single speed and rigid both ends.

Unless you're carrying injuries, maybe you should be perfecting your riding position rather than replacing your bike. Think of the bling you can get for your bike with the money saved - oh, and a few crates of beer too.

mtbr member
    whatever... it's all riding bikes..

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I'm much older than you and still riding single speed and rigid both ends.

Unless you're carrying injuries, maybe you should be perfecting your riding position rather than replacing your bike. Think of the bling you can get for your bike with the money saved - oh, and a few crates of beer too.
    That is why I am really stoked on the Bike shop. To replace my wheel with a geared hub of comparable quality and performance would have been $$$$$$. Just over 300 bucks out the door....the dude dropped everything and worked on my bike solid for 4 hours. Zee rear D and shifter, chain, chain ring, cassette, goat link, cable, housing, labor....still enjoy the instant engagement of my favorite bike part ever....That I9 hub has been flawless. Versatile too, I guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    funny i am furiously trying to build a singlespeed back up because i feel like i have quickly gotten old and soft without one.

the stache 5 seduced me last winter and so did it's EXCELLENT clutch derailleur. it was my only ride this season. i have no regrets but feel like my fitness has really suffered. granted my riding time is also not what it once was but i feel like the singlespeed just pushed me to ride harder by necessity.

i dunno that a singlespeed will ever be the only bike in the stable again like it was for years BUT i do want to have a singlespeed to ride regularly again pretty bad after a little more than a season off.

as for rigid i don't think i'll ever give up having a rigid bike either.

what i am shooting for now is one geared suspended hardtail and one rigid singlespeed (same frame). until that idea changes of course...