educate me on the 1/2 link- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

educate me on the 1/2 link

I need a new chain and I would also like to get a 1/2 link to fine tune chain slack a bit. I have never seen one. Are they available in 1/8 and 3/32? I like 3/32 chains so that would be my preference. Do I need a 1/2 link that is the same make and model as the chain?
    Please educate me.

wot no bike?
    You don't need to match brands, and yes you can buy them in 3/32".
    pete

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    they do come in both sizes and you dont need the same make and model chain but you do need the right size chain that is appropriated to the half link. by chain size i mean 7/8/9 speed chain
    Last edited by nuck_chorris; 02-23-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The only half link that I can find for sale on line is the KMC 1/2 link for 3/32" chain. It dosent say how many gears it is for. I am thinking of pairing that with a Sram pc830 6/7/8/ speed chain. Will that work?

mtbr member
    It will work just fine for the SRAM 8 speed chains.

Justin Vander Pol
    Jumping in on this thread with a half link question. I have a half link on my TansAm, with a 1/8" chain. The rivets on the half link stick out a bit far, and catch on my bash guard every 10 minutes or so during a ride. I even shimmed it out a bit with some extra chainring washers, but don't want to go shim it any further. It hasn't broken anything yet... but it won't last like this.

I can't remember the brand, but it seems pretty cheap. Can anyone recommend a better brand of half link? Where to order one? One that has fairly flush rivets like a normal chain? I'm pretty new to this SS thing, so sorting out a few kinks.

Thanks!
    Justin

mtbr member
    I think that a link-and-a-half is a better way of achieving the same end result.

Simpler, faster to install and, in my experience, more reliable.

Gussett make one in 3/32" - nickle plated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    I think that a link-and-a-half is a better way of achieving the same end result.

Simpler, faster to install and, in my experience, more reliable.

Gussett make one in 3/32" - nickle plated.
    That looks good . Where are they available?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Order two of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ss_T15_product

And one of these in 3/32:
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=22297

Every 3/32 half link I tried, and I think I've tried them all, is slightly too wide to be used in a multispeed 3/32 chain. The master link I listed, however, is slightly wider than normal so they play nicely with the half link, and the slight added width isn't a problem with the narrower multispeed chains since the difference is so small.

The KMC master links in the link above is nickel plated and very nicely made, unlike most BMX style master links. They'll also digest any half link out there while still working nicely with a multispeed chain. I highly recommend them. By the way, the Amazon vendor I listed above is about the only place I've found them available separately, and the price is great.

The Gusset half link is another quality product. The entire thing is nickel plated, unlike most half links. They also sell it already joined to a set of inner plates, the reason being they can peen the ends of the pin for extra strength. Also, unlike other half links, the Gusset is the superior bushingless design.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You can find a half link at Price Point.com You can get them in 1/2x1/8 or 1/2x3/32. Hear is the link.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/166...-Half-Link.htm

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bobothaclown
    You can find a half link at Price Point.com You can get them in 1/2x1/8 or 1/2x3/32. Hear is the link.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/166...-Half-Link.htm
    That's the KMC halflink. It's much lower quality that the Gusset, and still too wide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just throwing it out there. Never used a half link.... Maybe I need some education too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesia
    It will work just fine for the SRAM 8 speed chains.
    The KMC halflink doesn't really work with SRAM chains, as it is just a hair too wide. The SRAM Powerlink is too narrow to attach to it. You're left pushing out a pin in the chain, which you don't want to do as it weakens the chain, and even then the pin is barely long enough to accommodate the extra width of the KMC halflink.

Justin Vander Pol
    Thanks for the advice on how to set it up with the right connector links! That Gusset model looks like it'll solve by bashring problem on my 1/8" chain. If not, the narrower 3/32 setup recommended above should do the trick.

SRAM really needs to make half links compatible with their chains. Life would be much simpler.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Gusset half link should play very nicely with your bashring, and just make sure you position the clip side of the master links away from the bashring, and then they won't give you any problems either.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Thanks for the advice on how to set it up with the right connector links! That Gusset model looks like it'll solve by bashring problem on my 1/8" chain. If not, the narrower 3/32 setup recommended above should do the trick.

SRAM really needs to make half links compatible with their chains. Life would be much simpler.
    the answer is simple , just don't buy Sram chains .

I don't buy them because they are not compatible with the half links and shimano makes chains that work just as well , i mean are you still shifting or something?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Bad Mechanic is spot on, its a nice surprise to find bonafide good info on a forum.
    First time I used a half-link I learned it all the hard way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Order two of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ss_T15_product

And one of these in 3/32:
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=22297

Every 3/32 half link I tried, and I think I've tried them all, is slightly too wide to be used in a multispeed 3/32 chain. The master link I listed, however, is slightly wider than normal so they play nicely with the half link, and the slight added width isn't a problem with the narrower multispeed chains since the difference is so small.

The KMC master links in the link above is nickel plated and very nicely made, unlike most BMX style master links. They'll also digest any half link out there while still working nicely with a multispeed chain. I highly recommend them. By the way, the Amazon vendor I listed above is about the only place I've found them available separately, and the price is great.

The Gusset half link is another quality product. The entire thing is nickel plated, unlike most half links. They also sell it already joined to a set of inner plates, the reason being they can peen the ends of the pin for extra strength. Also, unlike other half links, the Gusset is the superior bushingless design.
    Thanks for the help on the subject. The only problem Is the shipping those companies want to ship one tiny part is absurd. If i was too order the master links and then the Gusset 1/2 link I would be into it over $12 for shipping. I need one place that has everything that I need.
    Do the 1/2 links need to be used with master links or will they work with regular 3/32" links?
    Has anyone had problems with using other 1/2 links?
    I just need a reliable chain it doesn't need to be the best made.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stealman
    That looks good . Where are they available?
    Well, I get mine from Billy's, but as all you guys are in the USA (probably) then I guess that isn't much help to you. Sorry....

What could go wrong ...
    one way to avoid the fit issues is to just use an entire chain made of half links I have been running a Gusset Slink chain on my SS with no probs so far
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the help on the subject. The only problem Is the shipping those companies want to ship one tiny part is absurd. If i was too order the master links and then the Gusset 1/2 link I would be into it over $12 for shipping. I need one place that has everything that I need.
    Do the 1/2 links need to be used with master links or will they work with regular 3/32" links?
    Has anyone had problems with using other 1/2 links?
    I just need a reliable chain it doesn't need to be the best made.
    I haven't found a place which has both. Yes you pay $12 in shipping, but it's still under $20 total. What I do is buy several of each at a time, since you need to replace the half link and master links the same time you replace the chain. Spreading the shipping costs out over several chains like that makes it easier to swalloe.

In theory you can join the chain directly to the half link, but as I've already written, the half link is too wide (all half links I've tried are too wide), and it's not ideal for the reasons I've written above and I've broken a chain before because of it. Walking back to the car sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    one way to avoid the fit issues is to just use an entire chain made of half links I have been running a Gusset Slink chain on my SS with no probs so far
    Half link chains are much heavier than a standard 3/32 chain, and there's no need for more than one half link. The way to avoid the fit issues is to simply uses the parts I've linked to; it's not exactly difficult.

What could go wrong ...
    The way to avoid the fit issues is to simply uses the parts I've linked to; it's not exactly difficult.
    I agree 100% bad mechanic ... and I was LMAO at the "its heavier" thing ... lets see, I strip the cassette off and two of the chainrings off and the F&R ders off and the cables off and the shifters off and I'm gonna worry that the chain is heavier ... "straight outer plate edges are slotted to reduce weight" ... anyway Gusset makes a good chain imo ... I was just offering an alternative solution
    Last edited by Zoke2; 02-27-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I appreciate the alternative suggestion.

Is the 1/2 link being too wide only a problem with with sram 3/32" chains or all 3/32" chains?
    Is there a fit problem with 1/2 links and 1/8" chains?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Maybe just buy a half-link chain?
    http://jensonusa.com/store/product/C...tle+Chain.aspx

After all the hassle I had with SRAM and the half-link, this is what I was going to try next.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    1/8 chains bring their own set of issues. They're also heavier, and not any stronger than a high quality multi-speed chain. It's a topic with several threads dedicated to it. Again, since it's easy to add a half link to a 3/32 chain, what's the point of a half link chain?

There's is a strong aversion to weight weenieism with single speeders, but I'm not going to add needless weight to my bike.

mtbr member
    Since it's easy to add a half link to a 3/32 chain, what's the point of a half link chain?
    I'm with you 100% on this - there's no point at all, in my opinion.

Just use something like a KMC 610HX chain and if you need a half link to achieve the ideal overall length then use one of those Gussett ones that I mentioned above.

Easy, not too expensive and does the job well. All you need really.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    I'm with you 100% on this - there's no point at all, in my opinion.

Just use something like a KMC 610HX chain and if you need a half link to achieve the ideal overall length then use one of those Gussett ones that I mentioned above.

Easy, not too expensive and does the job well. All you need really.....
    It can be difficult to get my questions answered on the Internet. So I will try again. Is the fit problem with the half link an issue with other chains than the sram? If I get the KMC 610HX chain mentioned above do I still need the kmc master links to have a reliable chain?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It can be difficult to get my questions answered on the Internet. So I will try again. Is the fit problem with the half link an issue with other chains than the sram? If I get the KMC 610HX chain mentioned above do I still need the kmc master links to have a reliable chain?
    I just did a quick check at jensonusa and Universal Cycles and didn't see that exact chain. But to try and answer your question...the problem is not just with SRAM chains. All 3/32" multi-gear derailleur chains use the same roller width. It is the outer plates that vary from 7/8 to 9 speed. So if the KMC 610HX chain is a multi-gear chain, yes you will need the extra parts, not just the half-link.

If it's a 1/8" single speed or BMX chain then it's a different story.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut
    I just did a quick check at jensonusa and Universal Cycles and didn't see that exact chain. But to try and answer your question...the problem is not just with SRAM chains. All 3/32" multi-gear derailleur chains use the same roller width. It is the outer plates that vary from 7/8 to 9 speed. So if the KMC 610HX chain is a multi-gear chain, yes you will need the extra parts, not just the half-link.

If it's a 1/8" single speed or BMX chain then it's a different story.
    Thanks. Please explain the story when using a 1/8" chain and a 1/2 link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks. Please explain the story when using a 1/8" chain and a 1/2 link.
    In my experience the 1/8" half-links have worked just fine on their own with the 1/8" chains I've tried such as the SRAM PC-1.

mtbr member
    So I'll answer as best I can then - I use the KMC 610HX chain, which is a 3/32" singlespeed chain. Obviously it comes with one connector link anyway, but if you end up using a Gussett link-and-a half then you need another one. I've mostly used KMC connector links in this situation with no problem (obviously) but I've also used Gussett and un-named connectors too and had no reliability problems with any of them either.

That's all I can add - I've never used Sram chains on a singlespeed so I can't comment on them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ok, I also have a small (and maybe stupid...?) question....

Can I use one of the Gusset 3/32" link-and-a-half shown above with an Sram powerlink in each end and then connect it to my 9-speed XTR chain...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977
    Ok, I also have a small (and maybe stupid...?) question....

Can I use one of the Gusset 3/32" link-and-a-half shown above with an Sram powerlink in each end and then connect it to my 9-speed XTR chain...?
    It depends, I suppose, on whether the pins in the 9-speed powerlink are long enough to work with the 3/32" half-link, as 9 speed chain is more like 5/64". You could always use the 8 speed (silver) powerlink as it is slightly wider - that would work, I'm sure.

I personally wouldn't bother using 9-speed chains though, not when something like the KMC 610-HX does the job well and doesn't cost a lot either.
    That's just me, mind you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've already answered this question earlier in the thread. The SRAM Powerlink will not work with either the Gusset or KMC half link as the half links are too wide; it just won't fit. The 8spd chain pins are barely long enough for a half link, and it's sketchy and can break on you. Good luck with the even narrower 9spd pins.

Width of inner plates:
    SRAM 8spd - 4.25mm
    Shimano 8spd - 4.2mm
    KMC half link - 4.4mm
    Gusset half link - 4.35mm

You want to use a half link in your multispeed chain? Use the KMC master link.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've already answered this question earlier in the thread.
    Sorry...

So a KMC singlespeed chain, a Gusset link-and-a-half and 2 KMC masterlinks seems to be the way to go then...

Next question: Will this work with my TA 36T chainring op front (http://www.starbike.com/php/product_...=en&pid=3178)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So a KMC singlespeed chain, a Gusset link-and-a-half and 2 KMC masterlinks seems to be the way to go then...
    Since you're using the two KMC master links anyway, you can use which ever 8spd chain you want, SRAM, Shimano, or KMC. I just prefer the SRAM PC-58 (now PC-870) because it's proven and reasonably light.

Next question: Will this work with my TA 36T chainring op front (http://www.starbike.com/php/product_...=en&pid=3178)?
    Yes, it'll work just like any other 3/32 chain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Due to the thawing conditions I decided to take my SS out for a road ride today. So I threw a taller gear on it with a chain I already had set up at the proper length that I've been pushing my luck with using a KMC half-link without the KMC connector links.

The result...a broken chain and 7 mile walk home. Yes, on top of pushing my luck with that chain setup I forgot to grab my cell phone.

Moral of the story? Spend the measley $2.50 on the right parts and make it home happy.
    Last edited by Stahr_Nut; 03-07-2010 at 05:58 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 1