mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Economical KM SS disc wheelset

I'm trying to test a 16" vs 18" KM thanks to the advice given here I seem to be borderline, probably depending on feel vs anything else.
    I'm having trouble getting a good feel for a good buy on a wheelset. Here in NE Florida the most technical aspect of trails are roots, long and tall, short and small, we've got em all. At 44 I'm not dropping off of anything too tall so any advice on an appropriate SS disc wheelset is most appreciated. Thanks, Carl.

mtbr member

Alex TD17

The Alex TD17 rims with Shimano Deore (M525?) hubs makes for an economical wheelset that seems to have proven itself. Look over on the 29er board and you'll see lots of wheelset discussion. Plenty of folks praise the TD17. I've never read anything bad about them, and they can be found for $30 pretty easily. I just ordered up a set from Speedgoat. Should be here tomorrow.

Good luck in your search.

mtbr member

QBP - Surly Disc Hub/DelTaco Rim...

...is what I currently ride. Machine laced, hand finished, and fairly stout for a 32H rim under a 250# clyde mashing around on a SS.

In stock for your LBS to order from QBP. Might also find in-stock at some e-tailer sites (Alfred E. Bike).

Sean
    Professional Amateur

Down South Yooper

I'm on salsa's

I built a set of DelGados with a REAL front disk hub and a Spot rear disk hub. Seem pretty stout so far, used straight guage spokes and alloy nipples. 32 hole, 3X front and rear.

Don't notice any rim flex while riding, unlike some other road rims used offroad. Plus, if you ever need to switch bikes or brakes, you have the brake track to use.

Plum

hispanic mechanic

I'll second the recommendation...

For Surly/Salsa or even Surly/Alex wheelsets. I don't think you'll go wrong with either.
    Personally, I ride the Surly hubs with Velocity Dyad rims, which are a bit more expensive, but I'm definitely considering the DelTacos (nice one, Soupy!) for another wheelset. Handbuilt by yours truly, of course!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Monkey wheels

I weigh 200 pounds and ride a monkey in the rocks of central Texas. I built myself a wheelset with silver Surly disc hubs and silver Sun CR-18 rims, 32 holes. I like silver parts, and everything looks nice together. CR-18s don't get much love because they're so cheap, but they're great. Durability isn't a problem. They've got eyelets and are plenty wide. And, I think you can get them in black, as well. If you're going to do disc, 36 hole rear hubs might be harder to find in the lower price range. That happened to me, so I went to unbutted 14g spokes and haven't had any problems.

highly visible

Like my Salsa Delgado Xs

They are a bit heavy (there has been a post recently talking about how some Delgados widely exceed their specified weight), but otherwise no complaints.

The contrarian that I am (as if running a 29" rigid SSer isn't contrarian enough), I'm running XT disc hubs with spacers and dual cogs.

mtbr member

That's a great idea...

...especially if you are running discs vs. the Kerry, err, flip-flop type hub. Using a traditional cassette hub I could run two cogs with 2-4T spacing difference on the back of my KM with the same length chain for winter road rides vs. MTB rides.

Fantastical idea. I love this site.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    They are a bit heavy (there has been a post recently talking about how some Delgados widely exceed their specified weight), but otherwise no complaints.

The contrarian that I am (as if running a 29" rigid SSer isn't contrarian enough), I'm running XT disc hubs with spacers and dual cogs.
    Professional Amateur