Economical 130 mm Rear SS hubs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Economical 130 mm Rear SS hubs?

I have an old Schwinn frame (circa 1990) that I switched to a SS a couple years back and have been loving it! I'm not ready to make a huge investment into a new bike (just built a new geared HT) or outlandishly expensive components, but would like to tweak this one a little.

I would like to tear down my rear wheel (with spaced up 8 sp. cassette body) and rebuild with an "economical" SS hub. My biggest problem is the spacing of the rear dropouts, ~130 mm. Most decent hubs that I find in the $80-100 range are 135 mm. My current hub is already that wide and I really don't like cranking my rear triangle open to make things fit.

Anyone know off the top of their head of a 130 mm hub I should look at? I've been searching the net and reading posts on MTBR, but haven't found anything yet. I'm still a little green on the SS scene so any suggestions or websites would be appreciated! TIA!

I am the owl

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    I would like to tear down my rear wheel (with spaced up 8 sp. cassette body) and rebuild with an "economical" SS hub. My biggest problem is the spacing of the rear dropouts, ~130 mm. Most decent hubs that I find in the $80-100 range are 135 mm.
    I've spaced out a Surly hub from 120mm to both 126 and 130 without any problems. Chainline has been fine and the axle was plenty long enough.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

"Mr. Britannica"

ultra cheap

Suzue

blame me for missed rides
    just take out a few washers from your old hub and it's a 130m.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    just take out a few washers from your old hub and it's a 130m.
    This is a good option. And, although they aren't really economical (but compared to a King hub, they are downright cheap), the White Industries ENO hub is available in 130.

It is also really easy to respace your rear triangle to 135mm - or even change it to 120 to use a cheap track/road type hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    This is a good option. And, although they aren't really economical (but compared to a King hub, they are downright cheap), the White Industries ENO hub is available in 130.

It is also really easy to respace your rear triangle to 135mm - or even change it to 120 to use a cheap track/road type hub.
    I have seen the ENO Eccentric, but not the straight ENO. I went to the White website and it on;y mentions the plain ENO in 135 mm. The ENO Ecc. comes in 130 mm (@ $160) but I guess I'm curious as how my brakes would line up using an eccentric hub. I will try adjusting the spacing on my current hub. I was focused on getting a whole new hub to clean up the appearance, but I'll give the spacing a try. Thanks!

"Mr. Britannica"

respacing the frame

OK if it's steel. Would not recommend cold-setting if alu.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    OK if it's steel. Would not recommend cold-setting if alu.
    How does one go about cold-setting a steel frame (which mine is) to 135 mm? I've never heard of it.

mtbr member

Retraction

I have seen the ENO Eccentric, but not the straight ENO. I went to the White website and it on;y mentions the plain ENO in 135 mm. The ENO Ecc. comes in 130 mm (@ $160) but I guess I'm curious as how my brakes would line up using an eccentric hub. I will try adjusting the spacing on my current hub. I was focused on getting a whole new hub to clean up the appearance, but I'll give the spacing a try. Thanks!
    I retract my previous statement about the standard ENO only being 135 mm. I poked around the site a little more to find the order page and it was there that they talk about the different spacing options. 130 mm is available for $150!

mtbr member

Brakes and ENO ecentric

The ENO will make you want to adjust your brake pads about 1mm or 2mm up.

Retro Grouch

Good job! How about $80.00..

Sheldon Brown at <a href="http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/singlespeed.html#van"> Harris Cyclery </a> is selling some Van Dessell hub sets in 130mm for $79.99. Sounds like the ticket to me.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Mr. Britannica"

cold-set

is just a high tech term for a very simple process. Spread the triangle, stick the wheel in, center it, a ride it around awhile. It will eventually "set" for the wider OLD. No need to ride in the cold. I've done it with an old Trek.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

If you can stretch the budget, get Phils.

If spending $100 is OK, you might want consider stretching that a few bucks and getting a Phil. I'm pretty sure they'd make you up a Kiss-Off shell with a 130 axle, or you could use their 130 mm fixed/free track hub, $181 low-flange, $187 high-flange. Then you could try off-road fixed, if you wanted to.

Another option would be the hubs I'm using, 135mm high-flange Sansin sealed bearing tandem hubs. Arai drum brake threading is the same as freewheel threading, so you can turn them into a flip-flop. I changed the axle spacers around to make the hub symmetrical, and re-dished the wheel. Tandem freewheel hubs make great singlespeed hubs for bigger riders, as they are available in 40 and 48 hole. Plus, you can pick up a complete wheelset cheap on e-bay, since most tandem teams have gone to cassette hubs.

I'm sure the CK fans will skewer me for this (sorry, I couldn't resist), but IMHO Phil hubs are as good as it gets, and well worth the $$. They ain't cheap, but they're a lifetime investment. Most of the original run of 50 that Phil, who was then an out-of-work machinist, made for Spence Wolf's legendary Cupertino Bike Shop are still on the road, 30 years later. I can;t think of a more reliable bicycle component that Phil hubs, except maybe Phil bottom brackets.

--Shannon

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This is where I'd put my Goldtec track hubs money. Postage from the UK to the US is fast and cheap.