eccentriker or similar - anyone lived with one long term?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

eccentriker or similar - anyone lived with one long term?

Looking to SS this more perminantly. Its on a magic ratio atm by complete accident after my surly sprung tensioner threw a wobbler - i like the clean lines so im tempted by the eccentriker or eq but .

A. Do the bearings last - they must be smaller than standard , which lets admit it aint great.

B. How much adjustment do they give

C. Are the bearings home replacable or are they a bespoke bearing

Doing some decent races on this so need it to be a reliable method which i do not consider the magic ratio to be

any help appreciated guys !

mtbr member
    I've been using an Excentriker for almost two years now and it's done the job for me perfectly. I'm still on the original bearings too, which are the same size as those in other outboard bearing bottom brackets.
    Home replaceable too, of course...
    Look also at the Forward Components Eccentric BB - if I was buying now I think that's what I'd spend my money on - if nothing else, it costs less and does the same job.

Without checking, I think that the "throw" on both of these is about 6mm, so with certain chainring/sprocket combos you might need a half-link to get within the adjustment range - if you change gearing frequently then the best thing is to have two chains the correct lengths anyway.

A review here anyway http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=490528 , with some ramblings about the Excentriker too.......

mtbr member
    I have almost a year on the Forward Components version, but somewhat limited run time (< 1000km). It's on a IGH bike, and I've been riding my SS and Fixie a lot more this year.

So far so good. Original bearings, no creaking. And I have not been particularly kind to it.

They use the same cartridge bearings as all external BB's, so you can replace them yourself with Shimano, Enduro, or whatever.

Adjustment is 1/2 of what you need, so use a half link, or select your chainring/cog tooth count carefully (I use the latter).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    cheers for your responses guys .

Given the likelihood that the bike will be geared again i think ill have to stick to a tensioner given that reading the review tells me ill have to grind off my granny ring tabs. Now i dont use the G ring much but after a disasterous race where you really really needed a granny ring ( even 29:34 didnt cut it ) i want to have it in place.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been running the Excentriker (as Andy R) for a year and have just had some issues getting it fastened properly (after taking it off for a modification of the cranks), I think I used much more force then 3 Nm in the end...

You might need a half link for adjustment and as Andy R wrote bearing are standard and exchangeable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_rat
    ...Given the likelihood that the bike will be geared again i think ill have to stick to a tensioner given that reading the review tells me ill have to grind off my granny ring tabs. Now i dont use the G ring much but after a disasterous race where you really really need...
    According to their website, you don't have to trim the granny tabs with the newer version of the Forward Components eBB. It may depend on which cranks you use, and if your BB shell is 68mm or 73mm, but they have a list posted. I picked up a new version for another project, but I have not installed it yet (waiting for some spacers).

mtbr member
    I ride the Trickstuff Exzentriker for about 5000 KM now and after some problems in the beginning (it was difficult to fix the steel shels) I'm perfectly happy whith it !

master blaster
    ive got about 40 miles on mine with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

Members who have read this thread: 0