fat on tires
    Aug 2007

eccentric bottom brackets?

I have always wanted to purchase a singlespeed. What are the pros and cons in terms of the way it is set up? Some have horizontal droupouts, some have the adjustable bottom brackets, and then there are the chain tensioners. I know one guy who loves his bike and it has the adjustment with the bottom bracket. Anyway, pros and cons are what I am looking for.

TBF
    mtbr member
    Here ya go man...

Heard good things about it and it keeps things clean on the bike. No unsightly chain tensioner to get ripped off on the trail or bounce your chain off the ring.

http://psyclestore.com/product_info....products_id=64
    The Black Foxx
    -------------------------------------
    http://leightonmiller.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wink ecb vs horizontal drops

Quote Originally Posted by sdflaherty
    I have always wanted to purchase a singlespeed. What are the pros and cons in terms of the way it is set up? Some have horizontal droupouts, some have the adjustable bottom brackets, and then there are the chain tensioners. I know one guy who loves his bike and it has the adjustment with the bottom bracket. Anyway, pros and cons are what I am looking for.
    This subject has been debated many times. But here is the Readers Digest version heavely tainted by the writer's bias.

Horizontal drops are the snizzle for your drizzel manh. No stinking single speed needs disc brakes - I don't know for sure about the Northwest, but no single speed, that is none that I am aware of, "needs" disc brakes. Horizontal drops allow for fixed gear, so does ecbb, but it is a pain in the ass to set up. Horizontal allow perfect chaintension every time, without set screws or a wedge type ebb. The brake pad alingment on changing gear ratios is highly overated. All the above baloney is coming from a guy who has both. Any single even at speed can effectively be stopped by rim brake. Disc brakes are, well in my opinion, just a cop out for people who don't know or are too lazy, or don't care to admit the foibles of disc brakes.

Don't take any of the above drivel as the last santimonious statement. Do your own reasearch, make a decision for yourself about what you need and/or want. I went with discs on my single speed mainly cause discs look cool and the frame I purchased was disc only. Mainly have fun with your final decision and don't take it too seriously.

VTW

TBF
    mtbr member
    Don't need 7 bikes either....but I like em'
    The Black Foxx
    -------------------------------------
    http://leightonmiller.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=victorthewombat...Disc brakes are, well in my opinion, just a cop out for people who don't know or are too lazy, or don't care to admit the foibles of disc brakes...[/QUOTE]Once upon a time I would have agreed with you, then I rode a 24 hour race with miles of mud. Wore out my rear rim (almost paper thin), slightly scored my front disk.

Easier to replace pads and disk rotors than rims.

Try buckling a wheel 10 miles from anywhere and riding home with V-brakes.

I still like V-brakes but only for nice dry conditions, otherwise disks are better.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    The EBB has worked to my advantage in this way. I have a 15" frame and a 29" front wheel. Toe rub would be a problem except the EBB allows me to place my crank spindle towards the back of the EBB which in turn allows for the toe clearance that I need. This may not be an option (or even an issue) on your single speed because the EBB is there for chain tension where as I run geared so my derailleur takes care of my chain.

Members who have read this thread: 0