Eccentric Bottom Bracket adjustment strategy EBB- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Eccentric Bottom Bracket adjustment strategy EBB

I am wondering how people deal with the changes in saddle and handlebar position when adjusting EBB. It didn't seem to matter much when I was doing fewer miles...I would just adjust the seat height up or down... but now I going on a long trip where saddle position and handlebar reach will be nice to have consistent.

I am riding a Van Dessel Ramble Tamble with a Sram 8spd chain ... with a half-link to boot.

mtbr member
    How much adjusting are you doing with your BB? I set mine and forget about it til my chain is a bit loose, but then it is just a slight move.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by vtdavey
    I am wondering how people deal with the changes in saddle and handlebar position when adjusting EBB. It didn't seem to matter much when I was doing fewer miles...I would just adjust the seat height up or down... but now I going on a long trip where saddle position and handlebar reach will be nice to have consistent.

I am riding a Van Dessel Ramble Tamble with a Sram 8spd chain ... with a half-link to boot.
    The BB throw never bothers me, but I always keep mine in the lower half of the shell.

I think one reason it's easy for me to ignore is that I have a 36" inseam. The longer one's legs, the less noticeable the BB movement because the saddle is so far from the BB.

But sometimes a person might have to adjust seats & bars. Good luck.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    It does not bother me for some reason......... I am the opposite of the poster above me... I try and keep mine in the top position to improve pedal to ground clearance........

I don't mess with it a whole bunch though since I finally found the gearing I like.....

mtbr member
    Interesting... my inseam is 30.5" so it makes sense that a 1/2 inch of movement is more noticeable. The EBB never really bothered me before either but now I am running the chain through a full life span: un-stretched new to beat loose. The first break-in period is the biggest adjustment - then just smaller moves. I need the 1/2 link just to get the chain within the adjustment range of the EBB. I am riding loooong rides where bike position is critical. Knee Over Pedal sweetspot, bars close to knees climbing, seat height just right - almost more like a road bike than a SS. Keeping the BB in one half of the EBB or the other makes sense. I think I can make it work but still debating whether to race the EBB in the Tour Divide or not...

thanks for your input,
    DaveT.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    It seems odd that you need to add a half link just to take up slack as the chain wears, if I'm reading you correctly.

I will run my EBB from about 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock without changing my saddle. KOP isn't much of an issue for me because I am standing often.
    I look at my EBB as the fulcrum of a lever, and the length really doesn't change, just the angle, which doesn't seem to have any negative effects on me.

Yeah, I know this wasn't too helpful, but good luck anyways.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33
    ......... I am the opposite of the poster above me... I try and keep mine in the top position to improve pedal to ground clearance........
    One of the advantages of a custom frame is you get to tell your builder to put the bottom bracket as far from the ground as you like, which on my SS is about 14". I run 195mm cranks.

So even though my eccentric is in the lower half of the shell, my pedals are probably still farther from the ground than most.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    With a new chain I need the 1/2 link to get the crank to land in the middle of the EBB adjustment range. Without it the chain is either too loose or too tight. I start at 6 o'clock and I am now at 8 o'clock... at 9 o'clock I will need to move my bars away from my knees. I was thinking I would take the half link out. I am wondering what other people do. Run the chain from 3 to 9 o'clock or replace it within a certain range. On my longer ride I will have less opportunity to replace the chain and the handlebar to knee distance could become a problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0