Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    133

    Eccentric BBs --A noob question!

    Hey,
    Can someone please clarify this for me?: Say I have a BEER comp (bb30) or a Philcentric (BSA) EBB for my frame. When purchasing a crankset, can I get any cranks as long as they have integrated spindle? For example, if there is a crank that is for bb30, does it matter at all that I match it with a Philcentric? I ask because presumably it should not matter that it is bb30 anymore, as I will only use the crank arms, right? Does that make any sense?

  2. #2
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,268
    Both the Beer Comp BB30 EBB and the Philcentric are designed for use with cranks that have a 24mm integrated spindle. The Beer EBB is designed for use with frames that have the BB30 standard press fit bottom bracket shell. The Philcentric is designed for use with standard English threaded 1.37"x24tpi bottom bracket shells. Neither will accept a BB30 crank.

    Which frame are you using?
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Both the Beer Comp BB30 EBB and the Philcentric are designed for use with cranks that have a 24mm integrated spindle. The Beer EBB is designed for use with frames that have the BB30 standard press fit bottom bracket shell. The Philcentric is designed for use with standard English threaded 1.37"x24tpi bottom bracket shells. Neither will accept a BB30 crank.

    Which frame are you using?
    Thanks for your reply. I will be using a Chinese carbon 29er frame, which is available in either bb30 or bsa. Where I get confused is when purchasing a crankset. For example, when I check SRam XX cranks, there are bb30 and bsa versions of the same model. Since I will be using only the crank arms + spindle with the eccentric bb, does it still matter what version of the cranks I get? If so, why is that?

  4. #4
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,268
    Why does it matter? Because you won't get a 30mm spindle through a 24mm hole. That's why. If you're using either of the EBB's you mentioned, you will need a 24mm spindle. Sram cranks (excluding BB30) have 24mm drive side and 22mm non-drive side if I recall correctly. I'm not sure if/how the Sram cranks will work with the Beer or Phil Ebb's.

    Edit: Philcentric have an adapter that enables you to use Sram/Truvative cranks. You may have to pay extra for that.

    Edit #2: Beer Components also have an adapter for Sram/Truvative.

    Read the websites. Phil Wood & Co. Eccentric Shop BEER Components
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    340

    Re: Eccentric BBs --A noob question!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Why does it matter? Because you won't get a 30mm spindle through a 24mm hole. That's why. If you're using either of the EBB's you mentioned, you will need a 24mm spindle. Sram cranks (excluding BB30) have 24mm drive side and 22mm non-drive side if I recall correctly. I'm not sure if/how the Sram cranks will work with the Beer or Phil Ebb's.

    Edit: Philcentric have an adapter that enables you to use Sram/Truvative cranks. You may have to pay extra for that.

    Edit #2: Beer Components also have an adapter for Sram/Truvative.

    Read the websites. Phil Wood & Co. Eccentric Shop BEER Components
    What If my frame uses a standard bsa? Which eccentric bb do i need so I can use my slx crankset. Not sure of the bb size of the slx but its the triple crankset and wanted to make it a single ring. Sorry for a noob question, im just trying to learn and wanted to build my ss by myself. Ty in advance

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by jhobert View Post
    What If my frame uses a standard bsa? Which eccentric bb do i need so I can use my slx crankset.
    Trickstuff Excentriker

  7. #7
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,954
    I have a BEER on my cannondale frame (BB30), I am using a set of Shimano XTR M970 cranks that do not require any additional parts. Simply install and torque down. There are no shims required on either side like when using a standard external BB.

    However on SRAM there is what I think he calls a wavy washer required due to the different size crank spindles.

    The system is pretty solid and I am very impressed with it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Similar Threads

  1. Noob with a noob question about converting to 1X9
    By jtrux in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 07:07 PM
  2. Noob Question
    By Trail_Blazer in forum GPS, HRM and Bike Computer
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 12:09 AM
  3. DH Noob question
    By Demorider in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 01:19 PM
  4. iBis HD owners.. i have a question..(noob question)
    By superunknown222 in forum Ibis
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM
  5. Noob question
    By -chs- in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 07:55 PM

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.