Eccentric BB30 adapter- Mtbr.com
    On your left!!!!!

Eccentric BB30 adapter

http://teambeer.info/?page_id=406 Anyone using these? I have a 1fg SS but I'm thinking of converting my scale RC in to my racing SS bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eccentric BB30 adapter-bikes-2-005.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by saviour machine; 01-22-2011 at 07:09 PM.
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!

Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

mtbr member
    Oh rats!
    I just dropped $700 on a new White Industries Eno Eccentric SS wheelset.
    This would have been a considerably cheaper way to convert my Jamis BB30 frameset.
    Thanks for the info though, I may just order a set and see how they perform just for the heck of it.

Dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Any reviews?
    2 wheels

beer is good for u
    I have one and my bro is the guy that makes em. I have about 5 rides now on my new SS and love it. No issues so far at all.

This is what I put it on

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ironic, I ordered one 10 minutes ago.
    Last night I bought a BB30 frame that I want to single speed.
    2 wheels

miwuksurfer
    Looks so clean and simple. *****in'. Would like to hear some long term reviews.
    Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Got mine and it worked great on the first outing. No issues whatsoever.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Any creaking?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Honestly I thought, " How can some guy who hasn't made anything before (that I know of) with 'beer' in the company name make an ebb that works when Niner has had trouble 2 generations of theirs? That explains why I sent my $$ in, right?

Niner also has the advantage of being able to control both sides of the equation, the ebb and the shell so if theirs has issues how is a small guy's product going to work?

Well so far I'm impressed with Team Beer. Nice product. No noise, no unwanted movement and it even got a little wet. I haven't tried to rotate it after it's been tightened and pulled all the way into the shell. That may be challenging as it wasn't easy to turn before tightening. I used a strap wrench. I'd like to see some wrench flat on it but maybe I'm worried about nothing.

Unfortunately I may not run the Ebb30 for long only because I wasn't enamored with the frame I put it in. DARN! I'll update this after a few more rides.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How do you keep the two halves synchronized?

Artnshel, didn't you used to be the guru of all things 4 Banger?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The two bolts seem to do it. The cranks spin nicely.
    Long ago.
    2 wheels

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Can you measure the distance between the outsde of the two fixing bolts please?

I would really like to know if they will clear the fixed bearing clips of a crabon BB30 shell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    Can you measure the distance between the outsde of the two fixing bolts please?

I would really like to know if they will clear the fixed bearing clips of a crabon BB30 shell.
    I need more description of what measurement you want. I don't understand.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    He wants the know the clearance between the bolts and inside circumference of the shell.

Driver Bob, why not just grind a notch into the bearing clip to provide the necessary clearance? It should matter much since they're just there to locate the bearing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I can measure it next time I take it apart. I don't think you could notch the bearing clip too easily because you'd have to cut it for the entire range of the adjustment you'd want. With that said I'm not sure you'd need the clip at all since the EBB makes substantial contact with the face of the shell.

I FORGOT TO MENTION ONE IMPORTANT ISSUE: I had to machine the granny ring mounting tabs off my race face crank to clear the Ebb. I don't think any mtb crank with 64mm pattern granny would clear the ebb except for some old cranks I remember having spacers for the granny. Team Beer should disclose this. I took some weak pictures to show the clearance issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eccentric BB30 adapter-sir9-009.jpg  

Eccentric BB30 adapter-sir9-010.jpg  

2 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    He wants the know the clearance between the bolts and inside circumference of the shell.

Driver Bob, why not just grind a notch into the bearing clip to provide the necessary clearance? It should matter much since they're just there to locate the bearing.
    Thats it. With the carbon Cannondale frames the circlip is integrated into the frame and cannot be removed. I'm not really wanting to start cutting away at the integrated clips.

If the bolts don't clear the circlip then I cannot use it. I cannot find tech drawings for the EBB to measure it myself and it's too many $$$ to just give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    I'm not really wanting to start cutting away at the integrated clips.
    Go for it! It's not structural, and you don't need one left to properly seat a bearing against. You could go at it slowly with a round or half round bastard file. It would take longer, but you could get it perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Go for it! It's not structural, and you don't need one left to properly seat a bearing against. You could go at it slowly with a round or half round bastard file. It would take longer, but you could get it perfect.

I want to ride
    Can you post a photo of your entire bike? Would like to see what you converted to a SS. Thanks in advance.

beer is good for u
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    I can measure it next time I take it apart. I don't think you could notch the bearing clip too easily because you'd have to cut it for the entire range of the adjustment you'd want. With that said I'm not sure you'd need the clip at all since the EBB makes substantial contact with the face of the shell.

I FORGOT TO MENTION ONE IMPORTANT ISSUE: I had to machine the granny ring mounting tabs off my race face crank to clear the Ebb. I don't think any mtb crank with 64mm pattern granny would clear the ebb except for some old cranks I remember having spacers for the granny. Team Beer should disclose this. I took some weak pictures to show the clearance issue.

I'll point this out to Jim, the guy that makes the ebb's....

I don't know if those circlips are on the cross bikes, but I do know quite a few team members that used them on their cannondale cross frames.

I want to ride
    This is such a great idea for a BB30 frame. I can't believe nobody else is making a similar conversion. Maybe in the future with the popularity of the BB30, others will make such an amimal. It seems alot of other companies are making BB30 frames. Way to lead the pack C-dale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Second ride and no hint of noise or slippage.

I've corresponded with Jim who makes the Ebb30 and he's been helpful in trying to figure out why my cranks had to be modified. He says XT cranks don't interfere with the ebb. I don't understand how that could be but I am wondering if I made some obvious yet colossal mistake in installing my cranks. They spin nicely and are quiet.

The frame is an Orbea Alma
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks Artnshel for all of the feed back on the unit. Based on your experience, I can clearly see that I need to obtain a standard triple crank and remove material from the eccentric to allow for clearance of the granny ring bosses. The eccentric is designed to help you get out there and single speed, and the product should accommodate whatever combination parts you want to run. I for see a slight design change in the very near future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I had a chance to examine the Eccentric with a standard triple crank setup, and here are the results. The crank will install correctly when the spacer kit is used, and there is no need to remove the granny bosses on the crank. This will happen when the eccentric is used on a frame that has a 68mm bottom bracket shell width.

Artnshel own a frame that has a 73mm wide bb shell, so there was no need for a spacer kit, but resulted in the collision between crank and eccentric body. I will have some drive side eccentric shells machined with a relief just for these cases and they will be tested.

In the meantime, please feel confident in using the eccentric on any BB30 frame with any crank as long as the bb shell is 68mm wide.

"Freakin Mountainbiker"
    Feb 2007
    Anyone know the bb shell size of a 2011 Jamis Dakota D29? i want to use this system on a frame I just ordered.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anyone who has one of these.........any updates?

I'm really really wanting one and some review updates would be nice.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by captain-beer View Post
    I had a chance to examine the Eccentric with a standard triple crank setup, and here are the results. The crank will install correctly when the spacer kit is used, and there is no need to remove the granny bosses on the crank. This will happen when the eccentric is used on a frame that has a 68mm bottom bracket shell width.

Artnshel own a frame that has a 73mm wide bb shell, so there was no need for a spacer kit, but resulted in the collision between crank and eccentric body. I will have some drive side eccentric shells machined with a relief just for these cases and they will be tested.

In the meantime, please feel confident in using the eccentric on any BB30 frame with any crank as long as the bb shell is 68mm wide.
    I am guessing that you have not done this yet as the EBB that I bought a couple of months ago still does not have the necessary clearance for me to use the inner chainring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    This issue has been resolved. The drive side body has plenty of clearance for the small chain ring bosses. This has been working well with shimano, and SRAM/Truvativ cranks. No need to modify your cranks to run them SS. If you don't have the stepped drive side, then we need to work together and swap it out to get it to the current rev.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Not being an arse Jim but following our email conversation today I just want to let people know it will not work with Middleburn RS8's.
    The issue is not the chainring bolts.
    It is the actual chainring material around where the bolts pass through the chainring.

Works perfectly SS with a Middleburn Uno chainring installed but not with a triple carrier running a chainring on the granny.

Members who have read this thread: 1