EBB's and x-type bottom brackets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

EBB's and x-type bottom brackets

I have an IF singlespeed with a Phil Wood EBB and a Raceface Turbine ISIS crankset. The ISIS bottom bracket bearings are toast(big surprise) and I am debating whether or not to simply get another BB or to upgrade to something like the Deus X-Type crankset. Is there any issue with the external BB getting in the way of adjusting the EBB tension?

mtbr member

XT760 on a Rig

I just installed XT760 cranks on my GF Rig and no problems w/ the chain tension adjustment however I will need to remove one of the cups to remove the EBB the next time that is needed as the cup is taller than the bottom bracket shell, just something to check out, this also limits the amount side to side adjustments you can make however not a problem in my case.

Am I getting too bulky?

... and if we just ...

If this is the case, FSA makes an external cup BB that is compatible with ISIS cranks, and won't require you to get new cranks unless you've got a new crank jones.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...ISISFSA/CR4513
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=CR4513
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member

Works fine with the Deus

I have the same set up on my Indy. It works fine for EBB adjustments, but you have to pull one of the bearings to remove and service the EBB. I also like the whole set up of the Deus. It's easy to set up and maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by somms
    I have an IF singlespeed with a Phil Wood EBB and a Raceface Turbine ISIS crankset. The ISIS bottom bracket bearings are toast(big surprise) and I am debating whether or not to simply get another BB or to upgrade to something like the Deus X-Type crankset. Is there any issue with the external BB getting in the way of adjusting the EBB tension?
    Can't outride Karma

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    If this is the case, FSA makes an external cup BB that is compatible with ISIS cranks, and won't require you to get new cranks unless you've got a new crank jones.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...ISISFSA/CR4513
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=CR4513

interesting. hmm.

Nope got nothing

Pics worth 1K words

This is how it looks on mine. Bummer about not being able to service the EBB without pulling a bearing. But easy enough to pull.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Can't out ride karma

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex Mannz
    This is how it looks on mine. Bummer about not being able to service the EBB without pulling a bearing. But easy enough to pull.
    nice. I am not too worried about pulling the bearing. What spacer setup do you have on it?

mtbr member

x-type ebb

nice. I am not too worried about pulling the bearing. What spacer setup do you have on it?
    i use hone cranks on my dialled ebb frame with no problems, having a couple of spacers to play with helps with chainline too. i think the only issue would be with an ebb that had moving parts as you are more likely to want to remove it for servicing, so a phil wood one will only need looking at when you replace the x-type bearings

pics here

mtbr member
    i proscrastinated long enough and installed a nice silver atlas crankset with bashguard and spot ring this weekend, easy install, very stiff, creaking went bye-bye. I installed it without any spacers, but I may revisit that. What's the best way to measure chainline?

thanks!

mtbr member

skip the deus

I haven't been overly impressed with my race face deus - it rattled loose a few times so i took it back to the shop - they had forgot a spacer. Then I broke the middle chainring (warranteed) just riding along - really I was. Then the bearings were toast (warranteed). All this in 3 months of riding it - and I have 3 bikes so it sees only partime action.
    Now that it is working I find that it doesn't spin as smoothly as my Hone crank on the other geary. Not that this applies but the race face rings are the best shifting rings I have encountered. Their warranty department has come through as well.

I am in the market for some new SS cranks and am looking at either the Stylo GXP, XT octalinks or White Bros eno - the budget is about $200.

mtbr member
    not worried about the ring, as I am using the deus as a singlespeed crankset and am using a spot ring, I installed the cranks myself and I am confident of everything but the chainline. As for the bearings failing early,i think that has a lot to do with the facing on the bb -- if the bearings are not seated completely flush, then they will wear out quickly.

Members who have read this thread: 0